Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 5:58:57 AM EDT
I'm interested in this field of work and would like to know if there are PhD- or Masters-level ar15.com members.  I'd ESPECIALLY like to hear from you if you perform work for a military contractor or your research has applied military applications.  Anything goes if it has government applications: applied cognition, team building, usability practitioners, etc.

Do not give your name or disclose parts of confidenial research; the last thing I want to do is put anyone in trouble with employers/colleagues.

I'd like to know the following information:
1) How you became interested in the field.
2) Without breaching the diclosure clause above, what do you do at work?
3) The school you graduated from (PhD or Masters).
4) Additional advice/wisdom that you could give.

Please post ONLY if you have a PhD, MS, or MA in human factors.  SERIOUS POSTS ONLY!

To Non human factors AR15.com members:
I love y'all to death but please do not post dry humor, jokes, or BS for this topic.  I want to learn more about this field so that *one day* I can serve the men and women who bravely serve America.

Killy
Clarified per AeroE.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Okay, no humor.

Soliciting for disclosures of classified work is a felony.  In fact, I'm thinking about forwarding this thread to the FBI.  No kidding.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:04:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm interested in this field of work and would like to know if there are PhD- or Masters-level ar15.com members.  I'd ESPECIALLY like to hear from you if you perform work for a military contractor or your research has applied military applications.  Anything goes if it has government applications: applied cognition, team building, usability practitioners, etc.

You do not have to give your name or disclose parts of confidenial research; the last thing I want to do is put anyone in trouble with employers/colleagues.

Please post ONLY if you have a PhD, MS, or MA in human factors.  SERIOUS POSTS ONLY!

I love y'all to death but please do not post dry humor, jokes, or BS for this topic.  I want to learn more about this field so that *one day* I can serve the men and women who bravely serve America.

Killy

In fact, I believe I will send this to the Feds.

Post preserved.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:05:11 AM EDT
[#3]
NOT SEEKING PROPRIETARY INFO.

I'm looking for their layperson explanation of what they do; no technical details, no methods, no specifications, cost-analyses, etc.  NONE OF THAT STUFF.

Thank-you for allowing me to clear that issue up.

Killy
hD
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#4]
<cough>1-800-Call-Spy<cough>
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Done.

Your request here falls squarely on the line of uncertainty; this makes the ethical choice simpler.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:49:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't blame you for wondering--especially with all of the crazy sh*t going on in the world.

No offense taken.

Just seeking basic info on the road of life ahead from people who are coming back.  That's all.

Killy
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:56:54 AM EDT
[#8]

It might be accidental, but that is an opening to the classic social engineering method of espionage.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do not have to give your name or disclose parts of confidenial research; the last thing I want to do is put anyone in trouble with employers/colleagues.

Killy

In fact, I believe I will send this to the Feds.

Post preserved.

If somebody asks for serious answers in GD, you know they're up to no good.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
SERIOUS POSTS ONLY!

Hmmmmm. The very first sign that someone is out of touch with the "human factors" at Arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I've watched this post over the past week and haven't seen anything new.  It seems that this post is dead he
To PhD/MA/MS HF researchers who perform applied research:
Granted that I have no idea who you are (no one made a thread), I just want to thank you for equipping our US troops with the protection of your applied research.  My interest in pursuing a higher education in applied HF comes from the fact that I have friends who serve (Marines and Army) and I want to do more in life than crank out research publications for a living (read: live according to the publish-or-perish mentality).  More than anything, I want to produce research/artifacts that make tasks safer, efficient, and user-friendly for US uniformed men and women.  Furthermore, knowledge serves others the most when it's applied (medical doctors seem to support this perspective).

Aside from avidly reading HF journal articles and text books for my respective interests, I'm researching prospective graduate schools and studying for the GRE.  As you guys know, moving higher up the education echelons requires specialization (i.e., refined research interests) on the applicant's part (i.e., me).  I'll keep up with my readings and will refine my intersts further over the months to come.  Filling out tons of applications and writing personal statements is another story altogether.

To the first ~50 AR15.com readers who didn't poke fun at my graduate school/career plans:
I really appreciate it!  You guys are the apotheosis of a respectful forum audience! he
To the AR15.com members who made me aware of the GD audience:
Thanks for your feedback!  As the newb that I am, I'm learning more about AR15.com's personality--it's usually light-hearted, easy going, and humor laden.  I apologize for being a kill joy on this post by being so serious.  To your collective credit, lesson learned. h  Rest-assured, I'll get around to understading this forum's social dynamics in due time.

To AeroE:
It's been said that arguments arise from the lack of effective communication; certainly this post is no different.  My post could've been clearer, but wasn't at the time (hence, your understandable concerns).  So, I'm going to own up to my lack-of-clarity goof up on this post.  It's true that to err is to be human and I'm certainly human.  However, intstead of beating myself up over error, I'll just own up, learn from it, and move on; similar to what VP Cheney is doing after his recent hunting accident.

Before moving onto the next post, Aero E, I would like to extend an offer to you: please keep up with my posts/threads to become familiar with who I am; I'm a decent (albeit ambitious) guy.  I don't plan on going anwhere (I'm proud to be a part of the AR15.com community) and I'll be around for years to come!

I hope everyone has an enjoyable President's Day weekend!  For those of you making big range day arrangements, be safe!

Killy
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#12]
You had two posts in the prior 30 days and a blank user profile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top