Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:17:30 PM EST
I just noticed a funny sound coming from the microwave.

Ran it for two minutes and pulled out my drink, noticed a . . . high-pitched whine (kinda like pressure escaping) coming from the inside of the microwave. Sounded like it was coming from the magnetron. It ran down over about 10 seconds.

Any suggestions at to whether this is just an aging appliance or dangerous developement?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:25:23 PM EST
I'm not a microwave doctor but I am a microwave communications specialist and I'm currently staying in a Holiday Inn Express...

Hmm. Can you replicate the sound at all or was it just that one time? If you have a cordless 2.4Ghz phone you can check for radiation interference coming from the microwave (as the magnetron on a typical consumer microwave emits approx 2.45 Ghz)

Other than that, if it is fairly old, pony up and get a new one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:28:41 PM EST
Microwave ovens are almost at the commodity price level. If you have the least doubt about its being safe to use, relegate it to the dump and buy a new one.

My last microwave oven put on a heck of a lightning show, so I pitched it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:40:47 PM EST
I paid $120 for this thing not quite six years ago. It has spent 4 of the intervening years in storage (living in my parents home while they were out of the country). For only two years of work the bloody thing should be humming along for a while yet.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:49:14 PM EST
That sucks, man. Personally I'd use the microwave for target practice and buy a new one. There are a lot of models in the 50-100 dollar range now. Some tiny ones for less than that even.

Sorry I can't help ya fix the one you have.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:52:21 PM EST
If it's not under warranty, junk it and buy a new one.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:58:49 PM EST
It's fun to terminate them by nuking a big ball of foil. I recommend you do this outdoors
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:00:54 PM EST
It turned into a XM receiver. You were listening to XM 8, the awesome 80's.
Top Top