Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/12/2004 3:05:00 PM EST
It's a stopper and pump that lets you seal up a partially used bottle of wine and pump the air out.

Does this allow a bottle to taste decent longer, or is it crap?

http://www.wine.com/shop/accessories/AccessoryDisplay.asp?Product_ID=44146
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:06:29 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:07:50 PM EST
I have one that is similar to that one (Vacuvin). It works for me, but once I open a bottle, I usually finish it. If I Vacuvin it, I usually finish it off the following day or two. So I don't have much longer term experience.

The Food & Beverage division of my work uses those all the time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:10:18 PM EST
Yes, they work...to an extent. As soon as you open a bottle air will begin to oxidize the product...but using a vacuum sealer top will dramatically increase the amount of time you can keep a bottle once its opened. I have never kept a bottle more than a day or two after opening...but you can easily keep a bottle fresh over the course of a weekend. If you plan to go longer, just re-vacuum every day or so.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:15:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:21:22 PM EST
A bottle of wine is a drinking unit. If you can't finish it then get some friends to help you.

Seriously though they work for a day or so. I can't think of any wine that keeps once opened.

I think once exposed to any air at all it starts to break down and start tasting metallic.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:22:50 PM EST
(austin powers voice on) It's not my bag baby! (austin powers voice off)
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:24:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 3:25:07 PM EST by raven]
Better choice is to

1. Drink boxed wine. There are some good wines in that package now. The old cheap stuff in 5 liter bags wasn't that bad to begin with.

2. Use cans of compressed inert gas sold specifically to displace air from open wine bottles. It'll push the O2 out and keep the wine tasting good when you uncork the bottle again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:28:37 PM EST

Originally Posted By JoeWang:
A bottle of wine is a drinking unit.

I'm looking to have a glass a day, not a bottle.

I'll have to check out box wines I guess.

Franzia sucks ass, hopefully the new ones are better.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:29:47 PM EST
I use wine occasionally for cooking, and I have opened and re-corked bottles that I have had in the pantry for months. I had no idea they would go bad so soon after opening. Are they still okay for cooking?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:29:53 PM EST
the theory is good, but in my opinion they arent worth the effort. if it's lesser wine, why worry how off it is after a few days with cork storage. and if it's something special, find someone to share it with and finish the bottle. to me, thats when its most enjoyable anyway. if you just cant finish it quickly, find a way to use it in an upcoming recipie.

btw, refrigerating your leftovers does help somewhat.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:33:26 PM EST
I wouldn't have much use for it...I tend to not leave much wine in the bottle after opening it...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:35:02 PM EST
Some quality wines are being released in boxes. Banrock Station has rated in the upper 80s in Wine Spectator and is relatively inexpensive (and now available in a box). I think Kendall Jackson is going to start releasing boxed wine sometime next year.
Top Top