Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2007 10:44:07 PM EDT
I have worked for this large property managment company for a year and enought,and then the property sold and new owner brought in his own people!

I would have liked to stay(it's a bird nest on the ground)less than a mile from my house!

But since he (the new owner) decided not to keep me(said he had his own guy)just had to give him a chance!

Well the new guy didn't work out,and I'm thinking what the hell do I try and get back into the rat race?

I'm 6 months to being 62 and am damn sure going to file for soc Sec,get it now!

Or should I get a job(probably for a lot less than I would work for) I did get tired of seeing the heat and air HVAC  guys riping us off so I got a Universal Tech license,and did all the minor jobs .

So should I really try and get another Corporate job or just say Fug it enough is enough!

I allmost feel like giving up!  Think  I will.

Bob
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#1]
While I'm not sure that your post is a question or not- I think you have answered your own post in it's title.  You know what is right for you, all you need to do is do it!  Best of luck to you man!  Do the right thing.

--VT
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You have to do what you feel will make you happy, bro.

You're 61.5 years old, so you come from that genre I respect so much:  You, undoubtably, have busted your butt throughout life.  I dare say you've earned the right to call in some free time, accept the SS you've earned, and just do whatever it is you want to do.  If you get bored, there is always volunteer work at the VA, food bank, etc.  

Whatever you decide, best of luck my friend!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Enough is enough.

My father is/was the hardest working man I've ever known.  

When he wasn't sure about working past 62, he did the math and figured it was more $ to hang it up early, but he still talked about getting a part time job and "keep him busy..." and so on.

Shee-it.  He retired and after about a year, I asked him:  "So, are you still thinking about getting a job?"  

He just laughed.  He didn't miss the rat race at all.  Never went back to work.  He's 69 now.  

If you don't have to work, why in the hell would you?  (Unless you want to, of course.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you have something else to live on, because S.S. doesn't amount to shit!  But, if you don't have to keep on working, enjoy life without it
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You can be on SS and still have earnings of certain kinds up to a dollar limit and then it starts to get taxed.  

You may find something you have fun at and not get bored.  Keep active in some fashion, you don't have to bust your butt.  Ask SSA and IRS what the rules are.

Can you get Medicare at 62?  Maybe you could earn some spending money and get health insurance too,
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't know what to say here.

Hang it up, and spend your free time fishing, if you are tired of the "race"

If you feel that you want to still work, what about starting up a "handyman" sort of side business, and taking in extra income that way, in addition to the SS?

I'd pay quite a bit, for a cool guy to come in, and fix the holes in my walls, the boys have made.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't know what to say here.

Hang it up, and spend your free time fishing, if you are tired of the "race"

If you feel that you want to still work, what about starting up a "handyman" sort of side business, and taking in extra income that way, in addition to the SS?

I'd pay quite a bit, for a cool guy to come in, and fix the holes in my walls, the boys have made.

I just got back from S. CA (Corona area) doing exactly that:  Small kitchen remodel I had to rip apart and patch the ceiling after I was done re-wiring it.  

You might enjoy doing a little travelling for small, odd jobs like that, bro.  A 4 or 5 day road trip is always a nice break from the monotiny.  

Good suggestion, Dawn.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Retire.

I've seen more than a few older guys at work who should have retired years earlier but didn't carried out of the shop on stretchers. Dead before they got to enjoy their post-work life.

And all of them had one excuse or another as to why they didn't want to retire right away.

You have earned the slow years ahead of you, enjoy them while they still exist.

Go fishing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top