Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 3:01:34 PM EDT
Getting ready for some airshows this fall and I started thinking about this.....  

Have they or do they ever perform together?  I would think they probably don't, as they wouldn't want one to out perform the other..... BUT it would be a HELL of show if they did !

They could call it "The Gods of War Tour".

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
swabbies and flyboys in the same space?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm trying to remember if they performed at the same airshow in Dayton when I went once in the late 80s...

I've never seen them at the same airshow here in Michigan though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#3]
They were together at Andrews AFB a few years back. Nobody got to fly though....FRIGGIN FOG FOR TWO DAYS! I drove 5-1/2 hours! I have pics of them sitting on the runway together. VERY COOL!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Not very often, in fact roughly zero times this year.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They were together at Andrews AFB a few years back. Nobody got to fly though....FRIGGIN FOG FOR TWO DAYS! I drove 5-1/2 hours! I have pics of them sitting on the runway together. VERY COOL!

DUDE !   Post those pics !
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
According to the Blue Angels Alumni Association web page the last time the Blues and the Birds performed together was in 2000 in Pensacola.

www.blueangels.org/Tbirds/Tbirds.html
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:31:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DUDE !   Post those pics !

I'd have to find them, They're from the old 35mm days!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Answer is Yes, No.

They are forbidden from flying together due to belief they will press the envelope to show off and cause an accident.  However, they were just here this year and did a show just for the Blues to watch a day prior to the Blues show.

At least that's what I remember. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#10]
They fly at the same venue, but never in combined routines; your basic carnage avoidance maneuver.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The Blues would show the Birds up too badly.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#13]
No, since the web site I linked to has at least 15 shows where they performed together.

One year at the Point Mugu airshow the Blues didn't come, so the Thunderbirds were invited and performed.
The next year the Blues made it a point to show up.

A couple years later the Blues were doing their preflights and there was a lull in the Airshow routine.
The Thunderbirds came over show centerline in the Blue Angels diamond formation.

Quoted:
Are you guys paying ANY attention at ALL?

I just SAID that they performed together in 2003 at Patrick Air Force Base,  Florida.

I was there.   Two great shows,  each with different strengths.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
How about the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and the Canadian Snowbirds all at the same airshow?  I saw all three all in the same day during an airshow at Payne Field in Everett, Washington back in 1973 or 1974.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#15]
better late than never. dayton airshow,2003....thunderbirds, blue angels, and the canadien snowbirds. they all flew each of the 4 days of the show. it was a big show, though, 100 years of powered flight (i think).
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:42:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They fly at the same venue, but never in combined routines; your basic carnage avoidance maneuver.

Combined routines Hell!  I want to see them fight it out!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:39:11 AM EDT
[#17]
The Angels clearly outperform the Thunderbirds.

I have no basis for a bias, but this much is clear.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:33:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Answer is Yes, No.

They are forbidden from flying together due to belief they will press the envelope to show off and cause an accident.  However, they were just here this year and did a show just for the Blues to watch a day prior to the Blues show.

M4-AK

Actually, the try not to fly together because there are thousands of requests for DoD air demonstration teams and only a few get chosen. So they send the BAs and the T-Birds to different airshows to spread the wealth. It would have to be something special to get them both in one place.

These guys are pros not show offs. The are not going to try to "outperform" each other because each and every one of them knows theirs is a dangerous job and such stunts would only risk their lives.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Answer is Yes, No.

M4-AK

Actually, the try not to fly together because there are thousands of requests for DoD air demonstration teams and only a few get chosen. So they send the BAs and the T-Birds to different airshows to spread the wealth. It would have to be something special to get them both in one place.

These guys are pros not show offs. The are not going to try to "outperform" each other because each and every one of them knows theirs is a dangerous job and such stunts would only risk their lives.

Uh, scuse me. They are FIGHTER PILOTS! They are showoffs by NATURE!
Arrogant, cocky, mischievious, dedicated professional SHOW OFFS.
And the AF and Navy wouldnt have em any other way.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:59:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Answer is Yes, No.

M4-AK

Uh, scuse me. They are FIGHTER PILOTS! They are showoffs by NATURE!
Arrogant, cocky, mischievious, dedicated professional SHOW OFFS.
And the AF and Navy wouldnt have em any other way.

DaddyDett

Ever see the preflight briefs the BAs do? They are very serious. They visualize the entire routine even mimicking throttle and stick movements when the commands are given exactly as they are going to be given that day. They have a couple of basic routines. They are tailored to the particular airshow, it is practised through the week. It isn't deviated from unless the weather forces them to do a low altitude show-again one of the basic routines, or there is a safety issue. They aren't going to improvise in order to show someone up. They maybe cocky, but they are dedicated professionals first. The "Maverick" types don't make it to the team.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:17:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting note on the Blue Angels official Website:

www.blueangels.navy.mil/geninfo/faq.html#thunderbirds

Why don't the Navy Blue Angels and the Air Force Thunderbirds fly together?
Current Department of Defense policy states the use of military aviation demonstration teams is for recruiting purposes. Each demonstration team showcases U. S. military aviation capabilities to the public separately to maximize efforts. The Blue Angels may perform with the U. S. Army parachute team, the Golden Knights, as do the Thunderbirds.

I know they have appeared on the same bill together, like at Dayton's 2003 air show where the Angels, Thunderbirds, and the Canadian AF Snowbirds flew--but not in any combined acts.

ETA: I'll be watching the Thunderbirds at the Cleveland Air Show this afternoon.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#25]

I think you missed my point, dport.

It takes a certain amount of arrogance, bravado and mischieviousness to strap on a fighter and fly
"regular" missions, let alone demonstration routines.
The last thing you will hear me say is that these folks, thier crew chiefs, or support troops are anything but consumate professionals. They get the job done year in, year out, with utterly amazing flying safety stats! Especially when you consider the profiles they fly.

I am damned proud to have a nephew, call sign Reload (when flying F/A-18's off USS Nimitz)
whom was very high up in the selection process for the Blues back in the 90's.
He didnt make the team, but just that he got to the final stages of selection makes me an incredibly proud ol uncle.
He has since transitioned to Naval Reserves, and is an instructor pilot, and full Commander at age 37. He also flys for a major airlines.
DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#26]
DaddyDett,
My point was and is they are too professional to let bravado get in their way. They are not cowboys, and IMO to suggest they would get into some sort of performance pissing contest to out do each other is insulting to the men and women who fly in the teams.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:04:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
DaddyDett,
My point was and is they are too professional to let bravado get in their way. They are not cowboys, and IMO to suggest they would get into some sort of performance pissing contest to out do each other is insulting to the men and women who fly in the teams.

I kinda agree, kinda don't. The nature of the beast in them just might take them there, the training and professionalism instilled in them keeps them in check, MOST of the time.

Nope, I never saw A-10 guys flying over Killington ski resort low and slow scopin' the snow bunnies. I never had Chappie James overfly my home on sunday mornin's in Colo. Springs,
turnin' and burnin' despite a standing ban on flying by General Officers, after the death of Gen. Simler at RAFB in 1973.

DaddyDett
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Hehehe, ever been drinking with them?
Once, and that was in Pensacola before the air show practice season really got underway.

Quoted:
DaddyDett,

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top