Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/25/2006 5:10:30 PM EDT
Or are they without religion and just use it as a front ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:11:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 5:12:33 PM EDT by The_Beer_Slayer]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:12:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
once

Beat me to it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:13:09 PM EDT
They believe in what they are doing. They believe that they will go to heaven. Most are probably pretty devout, but I'm sure there are others who do it because they don't expect to get into heaven any other way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:13:38 PM EDT
IBTL.....
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:15:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/25/2006 5:28:37 PM EDT by C-4]

Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
once

TBS, I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:32:25 PM EDT
Not all suicide bombers are in it for the glory. Some have been coerced (do this or we will kill your family) into martyrdom operations. One of the VBIEDs that hit us, the guy was handcuffed to the steering wheel. As for the rest, damned if I know what the hell they believe in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:44:35 PM EDT
As stryker pointed out very well there's a wide range of reasons suicide bombers do it - some are coerced, some are misled, some are totally unwilling, and yet. some are still true believers to a faith they've adopted.

While I have absolutely nothing against Muslims in general, I do believe that their religion (in general) lends itself to more extremes than most western religions do. Just reading the Koran in a casual, observer, sort of way points out many, many examples of "you MUST do this", "you can never do this" etc. If you added up all the absolutes you come up with far more than the ten commandments most Christians view as absolute requirements.

This kind of absolute thinking lends itself to acts like suicide bombing.

Of course, there are many different kinds of Muslims and I deeply respect most of their theology and thinking. But all too often we in the West group all Muslims together under one label. We forget just how deeply the divisions between Christians go (some good Christians believe in abortion, some do not, some good Christians believe in capital punishment, some do not, some good Christians believe in absolution after confession, some do not, etc, etc, etc).

I think the difference comes down to the radical fringe. While there are Christian groups that would be willing to participate in suicide bombing, they are very low key, few and far between, and generally not threatened enough to be actually doing it, the Muslim fringe that are willing also have both the opportunity and the perceived need. :-(
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:05:29 PM EDT
Anyone willing to blow themselves up, especially for such weak tactical results, is not the kind of person that ponders the big questions. You have to be some kind of stupid. I'm sure it’s the "slower" gentlemen in the group that get tapped for these kind of operations.

“Uh, Yuusuf, yea, we’re gunna need you to drive this truck down to the check point.”

“Uh, that sounds dangerous.”

“No, no, don’t worry; Khalil and Farid will be right behind you in another car to make sure everything goes smooth. I mean it’s not like it’s that big a deal right? Worst case scenario, a shitload of virgins. Not to shabby, right? I’m I right or am I right?”

“Uh, yea I guess. Can I, uh, get one of those almond joys maybe?”

“Yes, yes, you can have the stupid almond joy… when you get back.”

“Yea I guess.”

“Aww come on, who’s my favorite fundamentalists?”

“I guess I am.”

“Who is?”

“I am.”

“Thaaaaat’s right, now get in the damned truck.”
Top Top