Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:07:10 PM EDT
Doesn't matter that it was an LEO, this is just a good reminder to everybody that they should always take their firearms inside from the vehicle everyday. My dad had a Beretta 92 stolen out of his truck about eight years ago, it was under the seat at his business. I have been guilty myself of "forgetting" my truck gun in the glove box on several occasions. I had to go back outside to get my .45 out of the truck earlier after I had been inside for a few minutes so this caught my interest. (I had been at a poker game earlier so I wasn't wearing it).

The quote below in red was just funny because it came from some looney college student

Gun, Other Gear Stolen From Bloomington PD Officer's Car
Jan 30, 2006, 04:56 PM EST

A case of theft hit close to home for Bloomington police after guns and other gear were stolen from a police officer's car.

Bloomington police are passing around copies of a photograph showing the kinds of equipment someone grabbed from an officer's car.

"Really, I think it should bother everybody. It gives someone a definite advantage with a gun, radio, handcuffs and a badge," said Gene Perkins, Bloomington resident.

The thief also made off with an ammunition clip. Department officials say they let officers take gear home so they can continue their police work. But this incident has left some Bloomington residents worried that police officers are getting careless.

"I think it's just dangerous for people to have guns like that in the possession of police on the street to start with," said Staci Leavitt, university student.

"We currently have policy that requires officers to take care of department equipment and take due care and regard in that respect," said Captain Joe Qualters, Bloomington PD.

Police say the officer noticed the equipment, along with some personal items, stolen from the car as it sat in his driveway at home.

The items were taken from the officer's personal vehicle. Police say there wasn't anything to indicate to the neighbors that he was involved in law enforcement.

"It's conceivable that he may have been targeted. He recently moved to that area. The word may have been spread that this particular officer had just moved to that neighborhood," said Capt. Qualters.

Someone stole two guns and other gear from an Indiana state trooper's car earlier this month. That thief struck the trooper's personal SUV on the Indianapolis west side, and took an M-4 semi-automatic rifle, along with a Beretta pistol. Investigators recovered the rifle and a bulletproof vest in Benton County a week later.

The Bloomington Police Department is still looking for the equipment stolen from its officer's car. Bloomington police are asking anyone who has any information to call 812-339-4477.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:08:41 PM EDT
Ah, the intelligence of my fellow college students never ceases to amaze and frighten me
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:12:15 PM EDT
I don't want to come of as though i have a "theif" mentality...but i have always thought that if i was to score some cool stuff, i'd target a LEO patrol or personal use car.

I have a family member that is a state trooper and he always has interesting and black marketable items in the car.

But that is me just playing devils advocate for a second.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:15:57 PM EDT
I knew a guy in middle school who made his pot money stealing shotguns from vehicle mounts in cop cars, did it for about a year before getting caught. It happens.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:16:03 PM EDT
I keep a pistol in my truck. I lock it up, but I'm prepared for the possibility that it gets stolen. That's life.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:16:43 PM EDT
making myself a target of B?Es is one of th reasons I dont mind not having a takehome car. I'm super paranoid about someone breaking into my vehicle and/or my house because of my job.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 8:20:18 PM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I have no choice but to keep my pistol in my car while I'm at work. I'm allowed to keep a firearm in my locked vehicle, but bringing it into the building could get me fired if it were somehow discovered. My only other alternative is to leave the gun at home, which I ain't gonna do. I don't keep an expensive gun in the car. That's the best I can do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:27:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I have no choice but to keep my pistol in my car while I'm at work. I'm allowed to keep a firearm in my locked vehicle, but bringing it into the building could get me fired if it were somehow discovered. My only other alternative is to leave the gun at home, which I ain't gonna do. I don't keep an expensive gun in the car. That's the best I can do.

Yeah that logic is understandable, I used to have to leave my CW in the truck at work all the time. But that was during daylight hours and it was a somewhat secure parking lot. When I used to work at night in another location I have to admit I used to just put it in my backpack and store it in my locker even though it violated policy (could have got in trouble but never did).
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:39:50 PM EDT
One of our guys here had 2 fourwheelers on a trailer stolen from his driveway. It was parked in between his patrol car and his wifes patrol car, any they had the balls to do that shit anyway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:41:08 PM EDT
If you have to leave a firearm in yur vehicle due to work; you might want to look into having some kind of lockbox installed under the seat (if possible)
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:28:29 PM EDT

Do not, I repeat DO NOT leave a gun in the car

Thanks for the tip - From now on, I'm bringing the 870, the FAL and the Serbu along with me!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:40:32 PM EDT

they should always take their firearms inside from the vehicle everyday

That's not always an option for many of us. When I have to park on the street or in a public parking lot at work or when I stay with my wife where I have to park on a public street, I can't legally carry my pistol from the truck to my office or wife's room. I wish I didn't have to leave the pistol in the truck, but unless I want to break the law, I have to leave it there.z
Top Top