Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2011 1:37:47 PM EDT
I still use all standard analog gear.

Walked through Best Buy and looked at some of the new stuff.

ALL of the Blu-Ray players have built in WiFi.

Is this so they can transmit the video to the TV wirelessly?

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The wifi is for their signal to get on the net for things like netflix, google tv, hulu, etc...
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some implementations of wireless HDMI, but they are very expensive.  The WiFi DVD players are so you can stream netflix and the like.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The wifi is for their signal to get on the net for things like netflix, google tv, hulu, etc...

This,

Plus some can actually get Firmware updates too..

My Yamaha Home Receiver even has Network connectivity.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This,

Wireless HDMI is not ready for prime time yet, the network connectivity in these units has nothing to do with it.

Allows for streaming media (like mentioned above), firmware updates AND some units have Apps that allow control of the device (TV, receiver, bluray) via smartphone or tablet (I thingies, Android phones and devices).

I can control my samsung bluray and directv receivers with my android phone and rooted Nook Color.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This,

Wireless HDMI is not ready for prime time yet, the network connectivity in these units has nothing to do with it.

Allows for streaming media (like mentioned above), firmware updates AND some units have Apps that allow control of the device (TV, receiver, bluray) via smartphone or tablet (I thingies, Android phones and devices).

I can control my samsung bluray and directv receivers with my android phone and rooted Nook Color.
I did not say anything about HDMI...

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This,

No... You didn't
Somebody else mentioned it though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:11:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This,

No... You didn't

Somebody else mentioned it though.

lol I quoted the wrong person...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top