Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2001 10:35:04 AM EDT
I guess the anti-gunners have received another "nail".

Boston Globe B-1:

The three masked robbers rushed the cash register at ODB Liquors Thursday night with guns and knives drawn. Police said they demanded cash and threatened death as they fired a single bullet into one clerk's arm and cut the hand of another clerk with a knife.
But as suddenly as the men entered the store on Columbia Road in Dorchester three minutes before the 11 p.m. closing time, the situation was reversed. In a second's distraction, one of the clerks pulled out a handgun and began blasting away.

All three suspects were seriously wounded and were later arrested. Two of the clerks received less serious injuries. Of all the weapons recovered, only the clerk's gun was properly licensed, according to John Boyle, spokesman for Boston police.

It was a rare act of urban defiance and won muted praise yesterday.

''I'm glad that it worked out in this particular case,'' said Larry Mayes, who runs an alternative school for teenagers involved with the courts. ''But in the future we may be looking at a tragedy. All the way around, we're looking at an aberration here.''

The three suspects - Darill A. Burton, 23, Donny Paul Burton, 17, and Sean H. Henderson, 20, all of Dorchester - underwent surgery yesterday at Boston Medical Center. They were listed in stable condition and remained under armed guard pending arraignment Monday.

The Burtons, who are brothers, live on Hendry Street about six blocks from the liquor store. Both suffered unspecified gunshot wounds to the body, police said.

David Procopio, spokesman for Suffolk District Attorney Ralph C. Martin II, said the clerks - Vu Vo, 26, and Caohung ''Calvin'' Tran, 27 - were treated and released. Vo was shot in the upper right arm, and Tran was treated for knife wounds to his right hand and middle finger and right upper arm, police said.

The third clerk, who pulled out the gun, was identified as Kenneth Hoang, 31. He was uninjured.

Hoang told police that when the suspects entered the store, two of them came toward him as he stood behind the cash register, which is domed in plexiglass. One of the men pointed a gun at Hoang's head, he said, and the second held a knife to his neck.

The third suspect pointed a gun at Vo while demanding money, according to Hoang's account. The suspect with the knife then went to Tran and cut him as his accomplice shot Vo in the arm.

Hoang told police that after Vo was shot, the gunmen's attention shifted, allowing him time to draw his hidden gun, Boyle said.

After Hoang fired, all three suspects fled. Police quickly picked up and arrested the Burton brothers, bleeding heavily amid a small flurry of cash on the street. Police later found Henderson in the hallway of a building on Bellevue Street with a gunshot wound to his right arm, Boyle said.

No one at ODB Liquors wanted to talk yesterday.

Rodrigo Cabrera, manager of the Columbia Food Market II, which is next door to the liquor store, said he had had no problems with robberies in the past. But when asked what protection he keeps behind the counter, he replied, ''Stuff.

''I need it,'' he said. ''That's why I got it.''

End of article*

Am I carrying in public? Hell yes. You never know.
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I love the addition of the quote:
''I'm glad that it worked out in this particular case,'' said Larry Mayes, [size=3]who runs an alternative school for teenagers involved with the courts.[/size=3] ''But in the future we may be looking at a tragedy. All the way around, we're looking at an aberration here.''
View Quote

Guess they couldn't get any of the cops to say anything against the use of a firearm in self-defense, so they had to drag this uninvolved member of the community in for his expert testimony.

[b][i]Aberration[/i][/b] my a**.

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted: I love the addition of the quote:
''I'm glad that it worked out in this particular case,'' said Larry Mayes, [size=3]who runs an alternative school for teenagers involved with the courts.[/size=3] ''But in the future we may be looking at a tragedy. All the way around, we're looking at an aberration here.''
View Quote

Guess they couldn't get any of the cops to say anything against the use of a firearm in self-defense, so they had to drag this uninvolved member of the community in for his expert testimony.

View Quote

Agreed, but there is no indication that this guy wasn't involved... perhaps these guys were former schoolmates in his "alternative school".  He may have known the thieves... one has to wonder about someone with this type of attitude teaching troubled kids.  I would think you'd want them to be scared spitless that something like this would happen - and be glad for the example to teach the kids with.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Civilians should leave gunplay to the armed professionals who are paid and whos duty it is to protect the population.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Imbrio...or is it embryo?
Only problem with that is...there were no LEO's present or near.

And, the last time I checked the shop owner has a RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS for his protection! Of course...you knew that or you would'nt bait this post with your ascenine bs.

Maybe midnight basketball failed? Who knows,huh? Maybe a correctional facility could re-hab them into good citizens...who knows,huh?

Moronic and beyond.....
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Good article.

Notice how the robbers "fired" and the clerk "blasted"? No media bias here.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Do guns save lives?It's just like anything else,if you can get media attention,then you could save a lot more.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]
"More Guns, Less Crime",
by John R. Lott Jr.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:14:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Imbrio...or is it embryo?
Only problem with that is...there were no LEO's present or near.

And, the last time I checked the shop owner has a RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS for his protection! Of course...you knew that or you would'nt bait this post with your ascenine bs.

Maybe midnight basketball failed? Who knows,huh? Maybe a correctional facility could re-hab them into good citizens...who knows,huh?

Moronic and beyond.....
View Quote

NAKED;

The correct response to any post from Imbroglio is as follows.....

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
i like imbros posts, they get you thinking..

although sometimes i think its a troll untill i check the posters name..
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Half-cocked,
Ignorance is bliss, I heard...he proves it.

Yep...there are stoopid peoples in the world.
{b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]

Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love the addition of the quote:
View Quote

View Quote

Agreed, but there is no indication that this guy wasn't involved... perhaps these guys were former schoolmates in his "alternative school".  He may have known the thieves... one has to wonder about someone with this type of attitude teaching troubled kids.  I would think you'd want them to be scared spitless that something like this would happen - and be glad for the example to teach the kids with.
View Quote
Well, if they are former students of his and he knows them, he should keep his mouth [b]SHUT[/b] because he failed miserably in his job.

Imbrog, your crap is no longer funny.
Link Posted: 12/29/2001 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Imbrog, your crap is no longer funny.
View Quote

Keep it up, Imbrog|io.  I think it's humorous.[:D]
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 1:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Imbroglio is right - we PAY law enforcement officers to carry weapons and protect us...let them do it!!

nekid-guy and halfcock - learn the intricacies of sarcasm - an adult form of humor that many find amusing and thought provoking...

Tate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top