Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/10/2013 4:09:49 PM EDT
I've been thinking about transferring there.

Some people I've talked to said they would scoff at a degree from LU because they teach creationism and it was founded by Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Some people I've talked to said they would scoff at a degree from LU because they teach creationism and were founded by Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I wouldn't.... oh wait I don't take you seriously anyways... or anybody else in GD!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a new version of U of Phx?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I think as more and more folks start showing up with on line degrees, they're going to have to take them seriously because they will eventually be way more common than traditional degrees.

For me, it was just about checking a box.  Bellevue online here.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's an actual school in Lynchburg, Virginia. They also offer online coursework.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:19:43 PM EDT
[#5]
It's probably not the best university for some things..  But it depends on what degree you get..

Teaching you will get hired..  Lawyer or dr (they are starting a med school)- not as well respected and hard to find a job..  Imho and based on conversations with other ppl
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I dated a chic from Liberty a while back.  She is well respected, earns 150K and shoots better than you

While I would not go to Liberty, I would not scoff at anyone that did.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't Liberty a Christian college?  An online program from a brick in mortar school is different than a mass online school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:20:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think as more and more folks start showing up with on line degrees, they're going to have to take them seriously because they will eventually be way more common than traditional degrees.

For me, it was just about checking a box.  Bellevue online here.
View Quote

I also attended Bellevue University online.

I am also enrolled at Liberty, awaiting my first classes to start in January.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#9]
My friends 4 kids have gone or are going to Liberty.
The oldest 2 (girl and boy) got job offers before graduation; Nursing and Federal Law Enforcement.
The next one to graduate was hired in her field after about 4 months of looking/waiting: Criminal Justice.

There are people hiring in all fields that will take a Faith based education as a sign of moral conviction while others look at it as a negative.
In the end, it may only get you the interview, you have to close the deal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My wife got her 4 year from their online program and finished up her masters last December from a local school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Both sisters went there.  Had no trouble finding jobs in marketing.  Fully accredited with 1000s of on campus students growing like crazy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Some employers just want "paper."

Example:  The Fed Govt.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
That probably depends on the employer.

How do they teach chemistry with a "biblical view"?

That might be an issue, maybe not.

http://www.liberty.edu/academics/healthsciences/biology-chemistry/index.cfm?PID=28122
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My friends 4 kids have gone or are going to Liberty.
The oldest 2 (girl and boy) got job offers before graduation; Nursing and Federal Law Enforcement.
The next one to graduate was hired in her field after about 4 months of looking/waiting: Criminal Justice.

There are people hiring in all fields that will take a Faith based education as a sign of moral conviction while others look at it as a negative.
In the end, it may only get you the interview, you have to close the deal.
View Quote

Awesome

I probably wouldn't want to work for somebody that would view that as a negative anyway.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Liberty University is fully accredited, why wouldn't an employer take a degree from Liberty as seriously as one from Catholic University, or Yeshiva University, or any other school affiliated with a mainstream church?

They have a large number of additional accredited programs, like the law school, which is fully ABA accredited, etc.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some people I've talked to said they would scoff at a degree from LU because they teach creationism and it was founded by Jerry Falwell.

Thoughts?
View Quote

University of LaVerne is the bottom of the shit pile.  Then next up, but not by much, is University of Phoenix. The rest start from there.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Look at the catalog from any university, half of the class offerings are a joke.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Liberty University is fully accredited, why wouldn't an employer take a degree from Liberty as seriously as one from Catholic University, or Yeshiva University, or any other school affiliated with a mainstream church?

They have a large number of additional accredited programs, like the law school, which is fully ABA accredited, etc.

View Quote

Fully accredited doesn't mean a good education..  I was on an interview panel at work and the quality of the ppl was a huge surprise between schools.  Compared to other state universities the liberty grads were not impressive at all..   Your mileage may vary
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Don't know anything about Liberty University, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it's not an unaccredited christian taliban indoctrination camp like Pensacola Christian College.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

University of LaVerne is the bottom of the shit pile.  Then next up, but not by much, is University of Phoenix. The rest start from there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thoughts?

I knew a few folks in the Navy who graduated from LaVerne.

Two went to OCS afterward.

They all struggled to write at a junior high level.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

As a creationist....meh.

What do you want to major in? Is LU's program in that area well-known and well-respected? Judge the program you're interested in on its own merits. Don't look at universities; look at colleges and schools you are interested in within the university.

And as a Christian, frankly, I'd just as soon send my kids to a pagan university where they expect to see paganism than to send them to a 'Christian' university where the paganism will be just as prevalent, but disguised. YMMV.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:43:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Honestly... no many employers would not consider a degree from Liberty to be at the top of the pile in my opinion. But then again I would be more interested in experience, attitude and motivation.

But having lived in Roanoke for a good number of years I don't think anybody even in the area took Liberty seriously.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
My wife has her masters in counseling from there.
$140 an hour. Very nice.  One interview.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#24]
It's fully accredited. It should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#25]
i imagine that would be degree-dependent.  a science degree would be laughable.  but other degrees would not be compromised at all--business/accounting, literature, IT, and so forth.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My wife got her 4 year from their online program and finished up her masters last December from a local school.
View Quote

Serious question:   Is she now employed and in a rewarding career associated with her major?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
i imagine that would be degree-dependent.  a science degree would be laughable.  but other degrees would not be compromised at all--business/accounting, literature, IT, and so forth.
View Quote

That's how I see it.  Liberty is not an online diploma mill.  They're a serious school but some of the positions they take would make me skeptical of certain programs (if they even offer them).

Like Sirensong said-hard sciences or maybe engineering, no.

Other programs, sure, I'd consider them.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I live in the area and can say that LU is a serious school with people literally coming from all over the globe to attend and get a degree.

They pump every cent they earn back into the school. Their campus is growing like mad. There is construction taking place all over the area. They have bought land all around the city and are building on just about every lot or have plans to build on it.

They are the real deal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#31]
If I were hiring for scientific position, a Liberty grad would be at the bottom of my list.

Quoted:
Fully accredited doesn't mean a good education..  I was on an interview panel at work and the quality of the ppl was a huge surprise between schools.  Compared to other state universities the liberty grads were not impressive at all..   Your mileage may vary
View Quote

You're right on the dot.

For a private school tuition, I'm not sure what a degree from Liberty gets one. It's no academic powerhouse. If your kid can't even get into Radford, there's Liberty.

I knew a few families that sent their kids to Liberty... not really high achievers. I had two grads cross my path at a former company. They certainly didn't impress.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Honestly... no many employers would not consider a degree from Liberty to be at the top of the pile in my opinion. But then again I would be more interested in experience, attitude and motivation.

But having lived in Roanoke for a good number of years I don't think anybody even in the area took Liberty seriously.

View Quote

Liberty is located in Lynchburg, not Roanoke.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes it is respected. Are you doing it online or are you planning on moving down here?

Keep in mind, it's different. I spent a week there for Boys State. Although if was over 20 years ago, not much has changed. I sure couldn't survive there but it's better than Connecticut.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes all of 35-40 minutes away.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

No it is a actual brick and mortar school
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:10:24 PM EDT
[#36]
One of the things Liberty does well is aviation. I also know that their business program is solid- not great but better than other places.

If you went to Radford, you'll be in my neck of the woods my wife will graduate from there with an MBA.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

It's fully accredited. It should be fine.
View Quote
A lot of lousy colleges are "fully accredited" (by which I assume you mean "regionally accredited").  

I noticed that they don't offer an Anthropology degree...

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#38]
You have got to be kidding.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes it is respected.
View Quote

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but in what circles is it respected?

I assume that Liberty has its own form of networking value within the evangelical community. I get that. But as far as employers in general taking it seriously, it's not great. A Liberty degree is seen as a stamp reading, "Too Dumb for Radford."
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Yes it is respected. Are you doing it online or are you planning on moving down here?

Keep in mind, it's different. I spent a week there for Boys State. Although if was over 20 years ago, not much has changed. I sure couldn't survive there but it's better than Connecticut.
View Quote

I'm open to both, but I'm thinking of doing the online program so I can spend more time working.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:13:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

One of the things Liberty does well is aviation.

View Quote

that's actually a scientific field that i don't think would be harmed by the creationism thing.  applied science like that carries on fairly independently of the other stuff.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Look at the program and see if they'll be teaching you what you want to learn. Your value is determined by your attitude, experience and skill.

That said, I have a number of friends who have attended there, and I'm impressed with what I've heard. Like others have said, they are growing like crazy. For fields that require an accreditation, that (accreditation) is often the benchmark by which programs are measured. Example: if your engineering school has an ABET accreditation, unless you went to MIT or something similar, it doesn't really matter where you went to school so much as it does whether or not you're worth your salt. Even if you went to MIT, you need to be able to perform. After your first professional job, people won't care where you went to school.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:14:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm open to both, but I'm thinking of doing the online program so I can spend more time working.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you want to major in, and are you open to Virginia Tech?

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#45]
What is the best university that has an online degree than?  I know it all depends upon the degree you choose, but there has to be a university that stands about the rest in regards to quality education and respectability.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thoughts?
View Quote

they would never get an interview with me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

that's actually a scientific field that i don't think would be harmed by the creationism thing.  applied science like that carries on fairly independently of the other stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One of the things Liberty does well is aviation.

What is jet fuel made out of? Where do we obtain most of our hyrdocarbons? And what was the process of their formation?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

What career field, and why not?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:19:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thoughts?

Nor me, they don't offer degrees in forestry

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why not? He's a liberal. Who hangs around here for some reason.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top