Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/20/2009 12:41:17 PM EST
A doofus at work has been bragging about how his child support was based on the $25k or so a year he made at the time. Since then he has been promoted and is making nearly twice that.

Are child supports static or do they go up as you make more?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:43:43 PM EST
Mine fluctuated. That's all I feel like saying.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:45:15 PM EST
If they can jack up the payment amount when you make nothing like that guy in Irvine, you bet your ass they can jack it up when you get a raise

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:45:40 PM EST
They'll go up, but it'll freeze in hell before they'll go down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:46:16 PM EST
The custodial parent can go back to court to ask for an increase in child support. If his ex finds out how much more he is making, it is a sure bet she will do just that.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:47:04 PM EST
If you want to make him unhappy - let his ex-wife know.

Only a dirtbag would cheat his kids out of food and clothing.

Why guys always focus on the ex-wife and not the kids is beyond me.

I paid more than required - ex never worked much at the time. Kids come first, ex last
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:52:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By JohnGA:

Only a dirt bag would cheat his kids out of food and clothing.

I paid more than required - ex never worked much at the time. Kids come first, ex last

The little lady isn't always the most altruistic person even though she has custody. I know of a few where the custodial parent is a dirt bag who spends the support payments on anything BUT supporting the children (drugs, booze, etc ) and even things that the other bought for the children directly were returned if possible or sold off or pawned if not. The guy who does not want to give his ex more than he absolutely has to, children or not, is not automatically an ass hole.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:53:22 PM EST
For every 1 ex that uses all or even most of the CS for what it is intended for there are 100 or more that do not.

It sounds like your wife was that 1.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:53:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 12:56:45 PM EST by pdg45acp]

................................................[/img]

Because it's the ex-wife who is usually blowing the kids child support money on booze, gambling and drugs.

There is always two sides to this bullshit, never ever think that a man who bitches about child support is always the bad guy, that's how people get their ass handed to them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:00:43 PM EST

Child support is almost always well beyond the cost of the kid's food and clothing.

If it was "enough" before, why do the kids need more now that he got a raise ??

The reason people focus on the wife is because most of the time the bulok of the money is spent on her not the kids.

Most single mothers are on government assistance anyway in my experience. How much money should we steal from the father to provide extra shit the wife wants and kids don't need.

Lastly, I think we often forgot raising children, and providing $$ for raising them in a joint responsibility. The ex wife should be footing half that bill too often child support is well beyond the full cost of raising the kid(s).
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:03:43 PM EST
Most states will do a support review every couple of years.

The ex can also ask for a review about any time they wish.

Once the info went fed, they can easily see what you are making now, he'll get tagged sooner or later.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:04:29 PM EST

Quoted for ignorance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:07:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 1:15:50 PM EST by WildBoar]

Sorry guys but I agree 100% No matter what the Ex is or does is no reasons to hold back. I cannot control what my ex does. She bought herself fake tits while whining about child subport but bottom line is, she has custody and her dumb ass decisions affect my kids. Every extra dime is for my kids, not my ex. no matter how much of a dumbass she is.

I am making considerably more then I did when I was divorced. The ex was wondering why I was giving her an extra $225 a month until I told her I was making more per year. Well that and because her baby daddy with the new kid is a POS and gives her nothing for his own kid.

I am not helping to feed and clothe HS kid. I am helping to feed and clothe my kids little brother.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:08:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2009 1:11:47 PM EST by LongueCarabine]
Originally Posted By OhioEd:

Only a dirt bag would cheat his kids out of food and clothing.

The little lady isn't always the most altruistic person even though she has custody. I know of a few where the custodial parent is a dirt bag who spends the support payments on anything BUT supporting the children (drugs, booze, etc ) and even things that the other bought for the children directly were returned if possible or sold off or pawned if not. The guy who does not want to give his ex more than he absolutely has to, children or not, is not automatically an ass hole.

My ex made sure that my support would never go down by enrolling the kids in the most expensive private schools in the area that she could find, and NEVER, NOT ONCE, consulted me on their education. Now, I am glad my kids got to go to private school because the public schools here suck, but neither of us was rich. We could have easily sent them to cheaper private schools and gotten just as good an education for my children while possibly also allowing them the chance for other things. But my ex is one of those people who always had to keep up with the Joneses, if you know what I mean. It was more of a status symbol for HER than actually wanting what was best for the kids.

She and her Dad are both CPA's, and I know she did lots of work for him and hid the income, thus ensuring that I had to pay most of the support. And, I got to deduct one of my kids (we had two together) exactly ONE time on my tax return a few years ago.

I could go on, but is almost all done with now. It could have been worse, but I will tell you, men are fucked when it comes to this particular game.

ETA: At one point I had to change jobs because my employer folded. I didn't get a reduction in child support even though I asked. So when I got a raise later on, there was no way in hell I was gonna let my ex know.

I still pay support to my kids to help them through college, but now I know they are receiving all the money. Like I mentioned, that is almost over, but I feel I have done the right thing all this time.

LC
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:16:49 PM EST
A lot harder for him to get them to go down than for her to get them to go up.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:17:19 PM EST
It's too bad that child support can't come in the form of actual items the kids need (clothes, books, food, etc) instead of just having to hand cash to mom.

Or can you actually make arrangements like that?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:31:37 PM EST
this coworker of mine found out one of her daughter's fathers had got a job, so she took him back to court to make him pay more.

she had 2 girls with 2 different fathers. one has money, one doesn't. the one girl recently got an ipod for christmas from the dad.

well the 2 girls were fighting over it so the mother has it at work now using it everyday.

and the child support money she gets is just more party money for her.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:32:19 PM EST
Depends on the state, and on the divorce decree. If it says flat amount, then the only way it goes up is if the spouse petitions the court for an increase.
In AZ, child support is usually garnished from wages, so if you have a job, employer has to send it to the state –– just like tax withholding –– and the state cuts the check to other spouse. If decree says "X% of wages," then that's what the employer has to do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:54:18 PM EST
My child support never changed in the 12 years which I was responsible for paying it. The amount was calculated and filed with the court at time of divorce. We did not go through CSED. Neither my or my ex felt inclined to recalculate it after each of our incomes increased substantially. It wasn't worth the hassle and potential conflict. We focused on staying cordial to the extent possible and cooperative parenting.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:56:44 PM EST
Automatic custody for the father would solve a lot of issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:01:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By callgood:

+10,000

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:40:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By callgood:

Automatic joint custody with both parents having equal time. If one moves away from the school district then they automatically lose their shared joint custody unless the parents can agree on something themselves. Exceptions would be abuse.

It'll never happen because the bar would fight tooth and nail against it, way to much money in the way it is now to ever change it.
Top Top