Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2009 2:22:50 PM EDT
I need help from a woman with archery experience so I can help my wife with an "equipment" issue. Her breast are in the way of the bow string. I have no clue how to tell her to adjust her stance to keep the "equipment" from interfering with the shots.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I need help from a woman with archery experience so I can help my wife with an "equipment" issue. Her breast are in the way of the bow string. I have no clue how to tell her to adjust her stance to keep the "equipment" from interfering with the shots.

Dude, this is why the Amazons cut off one of them.  I'm thinkin' she won't want to do that.

I'm probably not as large as she is, but when I draw my bow, the string rests almost right against the side of my left breast.  It brushes it a little when I pull back to full draw, but it has never kept me from hitting my target. Maybe she could try a slightly shorter draw length, so that's where it lands––oh and a tight-fitting bra that keeps the girls up there where they need to be and all out front––that helps too.  As an alternative, she could get a sports bra––the nasty kind that smooshes you kind of flat.

Maybe some competitive archers here among the wimmenz. I am not one.  But I do like a bow.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:34:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

not a women but just off the top of my head I would say make sure that her draw length is perfect and that she is not anchoring to far back making her draw length artficially long and she may have to open her stance alittle (move her back foot forward so that the heel of her back foot lines up with the ball of her front foot) may help with "clearance".

hope this helps,
J-
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The cool thing is her bow is very easy to adjust draw length on. I believe I will try it.

I had to take the bow and shoot it myself to make sure it wasn't jacked up. All of my shots were touching, hers were all over due to trying to hold it in different ways.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I just read this to uxb ovr the phone and he said there's one of the top champion female archers who is built like a tank. Says he's never been able to figure out how she does this, but maybe studying pics of her at full draw will give you some indication of what she's doing. Neither of us can remember her name, but stand by. He's on his way home and if nobody else knows, he'll find it for you.

kitties

ETA:

Quoted:

The cool thing is her bow is very easy to adjust draw length on. I believe I will try it.

I had to take the bow and shoot it myself to make sure it wasn't jacked up. All of my shots were touching, hers were all over due to trying to hold it in different ways.

What is her bra size, if you don't mind saying? If you don't want to say, it's okay, but if she's like a DD cup or something, there is nothing in my world with which to compare that.
 But it might help give me some kind of comparison to what I do. I'm a small woman over all, but my arms are kinda long as compared to the rest of me. Still, I think the draw length on my bow is fairly short. I'm gonna get it out and see if I can figure out exactly what I do. I've just never paid attention because it's never bothered me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I reduced the draw from 23" to 22" and it seems to be where it needs to be. I'll take her out in the yard in just a bit to see if it helps.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just read this to uxb ovr the phone and he said there's one of the top champion female archers who is built like a tank. Says he's never been able to figure out how she does this, but maybe studying pics of her at full draw will give you some indication of what she's doing. Neither of us can remember her name, but stand by. He's on his way home and if nobody else knows, he'll find it for you.

kitties

ETA:

Quoted:

What is her bra size, if you don't mind saying? If you don't want to say, it's okay, but if she's like a DD cup or something, there is nothing in my world with which to compare that.  But it might help give me some kind of comparison to what I do. I'm a small woman over all, but my arms are kinda long as compared to the rest of me. Still, I think the draw length on my bow is fairly short. I'm gonna get it out and see if I can figure out exactly what I do. I've just never paid attention because it's never bothered me.

She's a 34 C now and 5'1
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay I'm 5' 1.5 and full 34 B (Up to a C at certain times), so she's about a cup size larger, but that shouldn't stop her. It's her stance and the draw length I think. It's not her feet, though, it's the way her body is turned, I'm betting. Make sure she's turned to her left all the way. When I draw, the back of my fist (holding the bow) is about even with my left breast, and I do not slump. But each woman is built a little different, so this may not fit her exactly. I don't think it'll be off that much though.

Okay I'm not actually drawing the bow at this point, this is just kind of muscle memory for me, so when uxb gets home we'll go out and he'll look at what I do.

What weight is she pulling?

ETA:

Note where her elbow is.  Make sure your wife is drawing high, like this.  I have one from the back/side of this chick, but it's in a bikini top, and DEFINITELY not CoC compliant.  It shows how parallel her arms, back/shoulders and bow are, though.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to change my arm stance. I'm very close to the same build just a inch taller. Make sure she as a arm the change the string will rubb a little on the arm.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:03:06 PM EDT
[#9]
It's about a 30lbs. It's as low as we could possibly go.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I pull 35 or 40 (though I have not shot in a while so it may have to be cranked back a little now).

I'm looking for this girl's name. Hang on. Uxb found the pic from work. She's drawing a lot heavier than that for certain. She's too damn accurate.

kitties

OH, I do use an arm guard too.  I think that was what the poster above was saying.  An arm guard will keep her from hating it.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:06:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Good god kittie... not to be off topic, but if the above pic is actually of you... I have pics of you hanging above my desk at work... lmao. So does my buddy. Lemme know... lol.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Good god kittie... not to be off topic, but if the above pic is actually of you... I have pics of you hanging above my desk at work... lmao. So does my buddy. Lemme know... lol.

No. See above reference to cup sizes dude.

And I am not blonde.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry... had to check.  She's like a bow shooting goddess in our Armory. LoL
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Sorry... had to check.
She's like a bow shooting goddess in our Armory. LoL

Yeah, I can see that.  She's gorgeous.  She could make a living posing with a bow WITH clothes on if she wanted.

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Agreed, made me say "Tiffany Lakosky who?" Even if just for a moment. lmao
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok Kitties you were a great help. You put me on track. She wasn't extending her left arm enough so the draw lengtrh was originally correct. After shortening it she could not extend her arm enough. That made a big improvement and gives us a base. Too bad I had to send her back to da kitchen (she's finishing dinner)

I just wasn't adding it all up until you helped me. Thank you Kitties, you're awesome.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm really glad it helped.

Could she draw successfully once you made the adjustments?

Had set up to take some pics of my draw, but the asshats who restrung my bow last time put on a string too big.
I have to get another string or all new nocks.
 I brought it home and put it away and didn't shoot it cuz it was night time when we got home.

Guess they knew I wouldn't drive back to Owensboro to smack them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Her draw was better. The first time she tried it her string was between her breast. I lowered it from 23" to 22" but I believe I shouldn't have adjusted it. I think I overlooked her not fully extending her left arm. I'll switch it back and see if that is the issue.

What kind of archery do you shoot Kitties?

I'm really getting into 3D archery and I'm getting ready for bow season which is a little over a month out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
No competitive archery. I was naturally good at it the first time I tried it, and I like it a lot. I think that sort of points you in the right direction, if you know what I mean...things which fascinate a person are likely to be his/her gift, perhaps? I hit my target dead center, first shot I took, and just "could do it." Not at the level cutie pie up there can do it though...I'm not in that league.

I just have a thing for bows. Bows, blades, and things that go boom. Big boom..like high explosives.

I don't really fit on arfcom because of that. I mean, I like weapons of all kinds, but I'm not particularly a black rifle person. My first love is blades, then archery (which I am not even really proficient at because of so little practice) and then other weapons sort of fall in line behind those. I have a lot more experience handling firearms than I have a bow, but still, firearms in general are not my first love.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:15:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No competitive archery. I was naturally good at it the first time I tried it, and I like it a lot. I think that sort of points you in the right direction, if you know what I mean...things which fascinate a person are likely to be his/her gift, perhaps? I hit my target dead center, first shot I took, and just "could do it." Not at the level cutie pie up there can do it though...I'm not in that league.

I just have a thing for bows. Bows, blades, and things that go boom. Big boom..like high explosives.

I don't really fit on arfcom because of that. I mean, I like weapons of all kinds, but I'm not particularly a black rifle person. My first love is blades, then archery (which I am not even really proficient at because of so little practice) and then other weapons sort of fall in line behind those. I have a lot more experience handling firearms than I have a bow, but still, firearms in general are not my first love.

I'm new to archery (first bow bought in April) and have been addicted ever since. I shoot 3D archery for fun and not money or trophies. If you like archery I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I'm new to archery (first bow bought in April) and have been addicted ever since. I shoot 3D archery for fun and not money or trophies. If you like archery I highly recommend it.

It would do me good to shoot more, as it would be good for my back and shoulders.  Getting old and all that rot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top