Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2006 2:00:04 PM EDT
...totally geared out in full combat gear as practice for a SHTF type scenario. I asked this question over in Survival and want to get a "general" take on the topic. I would be patroling with my little brother who is about 6 months out from basic for the army. He wants to put on some boots and a pack and see how he holds up. He has been a scout for years and i havbe no doubt he will do just fine. The land around my home is sparse former and current farmland with some woods and a line of mountains about a mile north. I wouldnt mind throwing on my bdus and grabbing my RRA carbin and heading out but i am bit trepiditious about the law of it.? ANy ideas if taking a night time hike with a rifle is illegal?

P.S. It would be about a one in ten million chance of getting caught as the entire farmland around here is owned by one old lady who is housebound. People come during the spring and till,etc etc, otherwise she is in her house which is about a mile south and out of sight of my home.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:05:55 PM EDT
Oh hell no!! I might miss something here!!! And I might get sweaty and stain my new Black 5.11 pants!! Also I might get winded..

Id rather be watching baywatch!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:07:10 PM EDT
UMM okay then
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:09:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
Oh hell no!! I might miss something here!!! And I might get sweaty and stain my new Black 5.11 pants!! Also I might get winded..

Id rather be watching baywatch!

+1

But in all seriousness, I have thought about it as my family owns about 60 acres of land most of it forest.

Plus, we live back in the boonies so, the only people who would bother me would be the deer hunters on either side of our property.

I've been wanting to get some good use out of my NVGs
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:10:27 PM EDT
Nope. I get to wear the hero gear enough in the Guard. I already have some ideas about what works or doesn't work for me. I don't need to do that on my own time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:10:53 PM EDT
Well, yall could get really simple and do like me. Put on bulky, hot, ill-fitting clothing. Stick about 80 pounds of weights in a decent backpack (wrap in towels for bulk), and take a hike. You don't look like idiots. You don't scare sheeple. You don't embarass yourselves. You get the same effect.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:10:54 PM EDT
Post pics
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:11:31 PM EDT
I have gone on long hikes with rifles , and back packs -- not full military gear , but REI sht.--- in Arizona in the summer , sometimes staying out 4-5 days at a time, it was so damn hot that the wood stock on my M1A cracked from the sweat from my hand soaking into it , i still had alot of fun plinking at SHT. , and enjoying the remote outdoors though
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:14:29 PM EDT
I think it would be fun and also a great way to wring out some camping/hiking gear junk i have laying around. I guess i will bring the rifle as insurance against bears. Pretty sure the local cops would ignore a kid whos biggest dream is to be a Ranger and would be running around in the woods on a Saturday night opposed to getting drunk or doing drugs. Thankfully i still live in a good town in that regard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:18:16 PM EDT
topic seems 50/50. I was afraid i would get more of a ignorant asshole response from people. Alot of people seem to think that unless you sign up for 4 years you cant wear a pair of camo pants and use a backpack in anything other then red oe whatnot. Its one of my pet peeves. Ona sidenote if this does go down well i may make it a regular thing as i have no doubt that within the immediate future we will see the day where we need to carrya rifle and be alert and prepared to use it. Did i mention i ma paranoid?
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:19:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 2:22:02 PM EDT by DienBienPhu54]
yes, but I dont wear military clothing, I wear civillian outdoor clothing and hiking boots, water , rations
no weapons, because the dept of Fish & Game might give me a citation or accuse me of hunting without a license or something.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:20:45 PM EDT
Sometimes I think I need to hang out in the Survival forum.

Anyway, I'm an avid backpacker. Without specifically practicing for SHTF scenarios, I've developed a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't over the years. Essentially, I've unwittingly developed skills that allow me to live for a couple of weeks using the stuff I carry on my back.

As for SHTF scanarios, I'm more of a bug in kinda guy. I've got a nice spread out here in the country, I'm reasonably far from most everything (including train tracks), I've got a family, and well...I just plain kinda like it here. My "bug out bag" as it were, is used to get my ass home. Honestly, I'm much better equipped to continue here at home than I am on foot for extended periods of time (think months).

So my take? Take up backpacking as a hobby. Do it all year round. I can think of no better way to discover what works and what doesn't. All the research and gear whoring in the world didn't mean shit once I started out for a few days in the wilderness on my own. Reading about it is one thing, doing it is another.

If there were an Ohio crew Survival Forum backpacking trip (is there? ) I'd be there like yesterday.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:22:49 PM EDT
yes, but we bug out for a weekend and camp too. easy to disappear into the brush up here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:23:15 PM EDT
Nope, but hunting usually is a long hike for me at 10,000 feet in November with a rifle, pistol and enough survival gear in case I get lost for a couple days. It is a pretty good simulation.

So far I haven't been lost overnight but after following sign I have been lost for hours.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:23:43 PM EDT
Just went for a 6mile hike on sunday with my new camelback good workout , I love hiking didn't have rifle and shit just shorts and shirt and camelback and my glock 17...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 2:29:38 PM EDT by DienBienPhu54]
I like to practice hiking in adverse weather conditions like cold & rainy, windy, hot dry, etc.

night time hikes are interesting during the summer when there is a full moon
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:28:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WindGapAR15:
topic seems 50/50. I was afraid i would get more of a ignorant asshole response from people. Alot of people seem to think that unless you sign up for 4 years you cant wear a pair of camo pants and use a backpack in anything other then red oe whatnot. Its one of my pet peeves.

Wanna know my personal thoughts on this? I hate wearing BDU's while hiking. They're uncomfortable, they're too damn hot in the summer, they're not very packable, and they weigh too damn much. Alice packs and MOLLE gear? Rugged as hell, but too damn heavy. I'm not in combat, and I don't need my gear to be built to take that kind of abuse. Rugged gear is fine, but it weighs a damn ton.

Weights sucks. Lighter is better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:30:38 PM EDT
Around here if you get caught in the woods at night with a rifle by Dept. of Fish & Game, you get arrested for poaching.

Something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:36:01 PM EDT
Unless you have a need to bring the rifle, I would suggest leaving it home to avoid any crap you might receive from people. If it is a defensive rifle (from bears, mtn. lions, etc) you shouldn't even think of leaving it home.

You don't need to wear your BDUs if you already know they fit you and work well. Just wear some clothes that would be acceptable for a long hike (no shorts) and cover you well enough.

As for your pack, if this is going to be a field test for your gear bring everything you will have in the pack when the SHTF. You may have more items than can fit in your pack, so only bring one type of load at a time and what fails you gets tossed when you get back home. Then load up with the stuff you left behind last time and test it all again.

(By testing your gear, I mean to see how well it is packed - what you use most, need faster access to etc. - and to see if your pack holds up to the abuse, along with using your items to see what works, what doesn't and what needs to be modified.)
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 2:39:10 PM EDT by jj01]

+1
I'd do the hike, but maybe not with the rifle. It depends on how well you know your neighbors - some might not be thrilled to find someone in camo, and an evil black rifle on their property in the middle of the night. Do you really need to take it? Other than that, have fun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:43:21 PM EDT
I hike every weekend with camo and a ar15 its all national forest around me and I can claim coyote hunting all year around for a rifle in hand.keeps me in good shape and I love to be in the woods.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:27:31 PM EDT

Alot of people seem to think that unless you sign up for 4 years you cant wear a pair of camo pants and use a backpack in anything other then red oe whatnot. Its one of my pet peeves. Ona sidenote if this does go down well i may make it a regular thing as i have no doubt that within the immediate future we will see the day where we need to carrya rifle and be alert and prepared to use it. Did i mention i ma paranoid?

Because someone who is not prior service running around with gear on strikes me as a wanna be. Not even bringing up the paranoia thing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:29:21 PM EDT
I use to do the full combat thing every now and then.

Need to try it again some time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:33:20 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tc556guy:

Alot of people seem to think that unless you sign up for 4 years you cant wear a pair of camo pants and use a backpack in anything other then red oe whatnot. Its one of my pet peeves. Ona sidenote if this does go down well i may make it a regular thing as i have no doubt that within the immediate future we will see the day where we need to carrya rifle and be alert and prepared to use it. Did i mention i ma paranoid?

Because someone who is not prior service running around with gear on strikes me as a wanna be. Not even bringing up the paranoia thing.

personally i think it depends on the circumstances. does the gear have a purpose? does it help you achieve what you want to do (in this case, walk through the woods undetected?) or are you just wearing it because it makes you feel like you're a badass? (nothing wrong with owning something because it makes you feel like a badass, i'm sure that if no one did that then AR sales would be <10% of what they are now.... just as long as you don't ACT like you think you're a badass )
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:35:47 PM EDT
Define wannabe? Maybe someone wants to just defend themselves and their home? It's your opinion on it. My opinion is thast people need to do what they want and not worry about what others think. I think running around being prepared for any contingency is alot less "wannabe" then playing airsoft orpaintball or doing three gun matchs. People who want to throw out the "wannabe" tag are the other end of the spectrum from the once a year deer hunter who dislikes EBR's. It's a shame really. Its nothing better then a gun owning sheeple IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:41:52 PM EDT
Let me reiterate here: This is alittle hike or nighttime stroll through the woods and fields near my home for my teenage brother who is heavily into the Boy Scouts and who will be joinging the Army in a few months. I suggested it to him as a way for us to bond before my wife gives brirth and i have alot less time to hang out with him. We both have a huge interest in SHTF situations. I myself have a pack ready to go in my truck and in my home for occasions where i would be on foot. Basically for me this is a hike to check out my load bearing equipment, body armor and boots. I wear BDUs for hikes,climbing etc because i find them really comfortable. Okay flame away,geez
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:43:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/14/2006 4:53:23 PM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:10:53 PM EDT
I think one could put a .22 LR kit in an AR and be ok, if there happend to be a night-time hunt season ans .22 were legal.

I used to do it a lot when I was in my teens...with a Winchester 110 I think it was--I had a sling that my mother made of denim.. I'd shadow the coon hunters and pet their dogs without them knowing--it was a cheap thrill and I was exceptionally bored . But I was raised waaaaayyy out in the flat woods in NW Alabama.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:15:50 PM EDT
We're fairly boonie around here. If by some horrible fuckup the local cop ran across us it would be a case of "hey ,just checking the fields for dogs" and that is about it. I do not want to go out unarmed being as we have a wild dog and a bit of a bear issue lately. If all else fails a simple "oh shit,i did go a bit of my land. damned land needs to be better signed"
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:32:31 PM EDT

Define wannabe? Maybe someone wants to just defend themselves and their home? It's your opinion on it. My opinion is thast people need to do what they want and not worry about what others think. I think running around being prepared for any contingency is alot less "wannabe" then playing airsoft orpaintball or doing three gun matchs. People who want to throw out the "wannabe" tag are the other end of the spectrum from the once a year deer hunter who dislikes EBR's. It's a shame really. Its nothing better then a gun owning sheeple IMHO.

Wanna be= a never-served fully kitted out in complete TA50 running-thru the woods playing Rambo kind of guy..
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:51:33 PM EDT
Around here if you got caught in the woods after dark ( or any other time) without a rifle you would look pretty damn stupid.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:32:57 AM EDT

We're fairly boonie around here. If by some horrible fuckup the local cop ran across us it would be a case of "hey ,just checking the fields for dogs" and that is about it. I do not want to go out unarmed being as we have a wild dog and a bit of a bear issue lately. If all else fails a simple "oh shit,i did go a bit of my land. damned land needs to be better signed"

With due respect: Whether what y'all're doing can be "explained" or not is irrelevent. All that matters is whether "the man" can take y'alls' asses to jail or not, and maybe--ust maybe--whether he feels like it or not.

Also with due respect: You sound like the Idealist who's yet to encounter the CJS--and still think that right and wrong matters to the CJS.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:39:49 AM EDT
I think that if the majority of people here went hiking for an extended amount of time with what they *thought* would be their SHTF gear,there would be a serious liquidation of all non-essential gear in the EE.I don't think the majority of people here have ever packed 60 LBS of gear and road marched before,therefore they don't know what an extra 1 LB means strapped to the back.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:42:37 AM EDT
I enjoy hiking, but prefer to wear jeans, tshirt, sweatshirt, fleece, two pairs of socks and comfy boots. Carry a backpack with water, a lightweight waterproof jacket, a wooly hat for if the weather comes down and some energy bars. Hiking in bad weather is more fun than in nice weather when mr and mrs suv and their 2.5 kids are pottering along getting in your way. Or worse, as happened to me once on a hiking vacation in Scotland, I'd just squatted behind a rock to pee and a large family of German tourists came out of nowhere and got an eyeful.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:46:13 AM EDT
Hike = yes, all the time

w/ BDU's, full battle rattle and rifle = uhm no

You're just asking for trouble. Simulate the load weight w/ civvy kit. The reality is a glimpse of men walking around in combat gear is going to raise all manner of flags w/ most people.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:03:12 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:11:27 AM EDT
I'd say put on some similarly cut khakis, load up your pack, leave the rifle behind, and give it a try. If you insist upon trying out your LBE/tac vest, put a coat on over it so you don't look so suspicious if you are seen and the cops called.

Low weight = good, but low profile is even better.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:18:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:53:57 AM EDT
It seems like alot of you live in the suburbs or city. How many of you have wild dog,bear and coyote that are pretty fearless thansk to idiots? I dont like walking my dog without a rifle let alone going for a hike......I think we have two distinct sets of people on this site. For whoever said something about me being naive towards police or military. rest assured that is not the case.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:10:17 AM EDT
I know around here if you are in the woods when any hunting seasons are open you have to have a license if you are carrying on a hike...I can't imagine any problem with country folk...they seem to be more realistic when it comes to guns.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:10:23 AM EDT
I carry a HG or rifle, fire, compass, knife, canteen, mag pouch, maybe a few other small items depending on where I am going and what I am doing.
Overall, I keep it light. I am looking to have an enjoyable time.

Don't do night time. To many predators up here though I have thought about it a few times. It would be good experience, no doubt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:13:23 AM EDT

Don't fuck up and don't be seen. Simple enough.
I don't think they could pin me down if I didn't want to be but my area is heavily forested and I know it all like the back of my hand because I hike in it almost everyday.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:33:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/15/2006 10:34:34 AM EDT by Rockclimbg]
If your brother is getting read for .mil, then it's more a question of getting more physically fit and conditioning his feet. You do NOT need to be walking around in the woods at night with a rifle to get ready for basic or even a 18x contract. How about a forced march with about 45 lbs. on his back carrying some hand weights. Shoot for 15 minute miles for 18 miles on roads/smooth trails. Obviously the time will increase as the terrain changes. Work up to it with a slow increases in pack weight and mileage. When he can hit that mark, he will be way ahead of the curve physically. He'll also learn how to take care of his feet and body. If he wants to get really ambitious, have him pick up some literate on land Nav. and start working that in one or two days a week to get a jump on things. Of coarse, running, lifting and other activities should be thrown in the mix but that goes without saying.

If you are worried about self defense, what about carrying a concealed handgun with the appropriate license. Even a knife and mace is better than nothing if he is too young to carry a handgun. You know your AO better than anyone on here but it seems like walking around carrying a rifle is more of a liability than anything when his goal is to train for his upcoming challenges.

Good luck God bless to your brother.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:59:24 PM EDT
I don't know of any other way to test your gear than to mount up and try it out. Better to find out what you like, need to modify, or ditch, till you try it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:08:31 PM EDT
I don't see anything wrong with your idea. I've got friends that give me a little shit over camo and guns but I honestly wouldn't let it stop me if I wanted to do what you're talking about. Sounds pretty reasonable, just don't pay any attention to the critics. The same critics would say, "whoa, !!!!!!!!, you change your own oil!!!!!!!!"

Carry on.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:30:11 PM EDT

It seems like alot of you live in the suburbs or city. How many of you have wild dog,bear and coyote that are pretty fearless thansk to idiots? I dont like walking my dog without a rifle let alone going for a hike......I think we have two distinct sets of people on this site. For whoever said something about me being naive towards police or military. rest assured that is not the case.

I don't know about the feral dogs, but we have coyotes and bear. You don't generally have to worry about them while out walking though, and they have never attacked a person around here that I can recall.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:37:31 PM EDT
Last summer i was hiking less then a mile from here and came across a nice sized black bear. Stupidly i had been kind of daydreamng and hadnt seen him until i notcied he was about 100 feet on my 9 o clock. He had me dead to rights and was looking for a hand out i gues sbecause he kept pacing me for about a quarter of a mile. I got him off me after i hit a road and i guess he found something better to do. That same bear i think is making a career of being the local pain in the ass trash eater. As for wild dogs i have seen them and heard them at least once every couple weeks. They leave tracks and devour roadkill and on occasion nail the neighbors small farm animals if they arent around. Its become a bit of a problem around here. I will be damned if i dont carry something more substantial then a .40 out there at night. Maybe i will tone it down to a 870 with buck and slugs?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:57:21 PM EDT
I've done it (once) . Debating the sanity of doing it again.

A bunch of guys in Pecos Texas have an event every year around labor day. It is a 5-6 mile run with 35 lbs of gear including rifle and water with 4-5 shooting stations for pistols and rifle.

There ain't nothing so hard as trying to hit an 18" by 18" gong ten times at 200 yards after going 5 miles with 35lbs on your back. (After all the ammo I shot off, the load got a little lighter. )

archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=8&t=202190

(It is an archived thread, so you have to be a team member.)
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:01:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KyBlaster:
Around here if you get caught in the woods at night with a rifle by Dept. of Fish & Game, you get arrested for poaching.

Something to consider.

Oregon Dept of fish and game used to "try" to regulate what you could carry during the various hunting seasons- found out it wasn't legal. now odfw only tries to regulate game laws.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:04:32 PM EDT
Every August, looking for rubs and tracks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:05:23 PM EDT
On another note this would be a great way for me to get back on the horse after a few back surgeries i have been building up to it over the past year. I am on a pain patch now that makes me feel like my old shooting and running around self. Hell i may throw on my IBA and suck it up. I think the important thng to me here is it will make me feel young again. Naysayers can go shit.. thanks guys.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top