Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2004 3:07:19 PM EDT
Do They Still Make Hydrox Cookies?

I was driving home from work and wanted some Hydrox cookies and milk.  I stopped at two grocery stores and couldn't find any. I asked in both stores and neither person had heard of Hydrox.  They are (? were) much better than Oreos.

I haven't had any in years.

Had to settle for Oreos.  Damn shame.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:08:18 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard of them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:10:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Is that like Hydrocodone cookies?  Or bud brownies?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
what a crappy name for a food product

They should have called 'em chlorineenios
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is that like Hydrocodone cookies?  Or bud brownies?  

Don't be so psilocybin.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Poor man's Oreos...

I'm calling Morris Dees.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't think anything except a mouthfull of preserving salts can take the moisture out of your mouth faster than a couple of Hydrox cookies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lord, that does take me back a few years!
I remember Hydrox cookies from the 1950s!
They were great!
images.goantiques.com/dbimages/ODG136417858.jpg
That's an ad from 1951, the year BEFORE I was born!
Eric The(ElderlyGent)Hun

Anybody want the rest of these Oreos?  I only ate 6.  I want Hydrox!

Things keep changing!  And sometimes not for the better.

Wow, you're old!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I embarrased to say that they changed the name to Droxies and are made by Keebler elves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't think anything except a mouthfull of preserving salts can take the moisture out of your mouth faster than a couple of Hydrox cookies.

I don't remember that part...been so damn long.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#15]
From the spacefem.com Google cache web site:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:_aW25fLuGCoJ:www.spacefem.com/hydrox/truth.shtml+The+Truth+-+What+happened+to+Hydrox+Cookies%3F&hl=en

The Truth
Most of my knowledge of the hydrox story comes from this Fortune article: http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/0,1640,4537,FF.html Paul Lukas reports:

Hydrox debuted in 1908, the signature product of the nascent Sunshine Biscuits, and ruled the category until 1912, when National Biscuit (later Nabisco) launched the remarkably similar Oreos. Given Nabisco's superiority over Sunshine in everything from distribution channels to advertising budgets, it was no contest--Hydrox never had a chance. Over the years, Oreos' popularity and market hegemony became so overwhelming that the product transcended the consumer realm and came to be viewed as a cultural icon, an American original--even though there was nothing original about it.

Yes, we were had. But then what happened? Hydrox were no longer even manufactured.
[Keebler] acquired Sunshine in 1996 and, after a careful review process, is now bringing Sunshine's cookies under the Keebler brand umbrella. Most of the products will simply get a packaging revision, but Keebler decided that the Hydrox situation called for more drastic measures. The cookies themselves have been given a kid-oriented design face-lift, with an updated flavor formulation to follow this spring.

The biggest change, however, is the name: Hydrox will henceforth be known as Keebler Droxies.
"Updated flavor formulation..." there you have it. I'd highly recommend reading the whole article, it's very informative.

content © 2003 spacefem.com. This page is not officially associated with Sunshine, Keebler, or Hydrox cookies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Yowzer!  Here's an ad from 1914.  

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
When I was a kid my mother used to buy us Hydrox. Haven't seen them in years, but IIRC, they sucked.

The name sounds like some sort of mythological creature, virus or skin infection.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#18]
From the "Ask Barty" web page:
http://www.dementropy.com/projects/barty/
(Anyone remember Billy Barty?)

Q: Dear Barty,
I was wondering after going down the cookie aisle in my local grocery store what exactly "hydrox" is and how it got it's name?
-Noreen Prall Lansing, MI

A:Dear Noreen: Thanks for your question. You are of course referring to "Hydrox" brand cookies which to my knowledge are no longer available as the result of a buyout by Keebler. The name "Hydrox" brings back fond memories as Shirley and I always had a box of those delectable treats in our kitchen to offer to the kids and of course for the many friends who used to casually drop by. "Hydrox" cookies were named after Hydrobolas Quinones and Xavier Fonzrelli, the two immigrants who founded the Sunshine Biscuit Company.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I embarrased to say that they changed the name to Droxies and are made by Keebler elves.

Just came back from searching and found that info.

I'm not sure I can handle the dissappointment.

Well wait...wonder if they still make Bit-O-Honey?

(Just feeling nostalgic today)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
From the "Ask Barty" web page:
http://www.dementropy.com/projects/barty/
(Anyone remember Billy Barty?)

Q: Dear Barty,
I was wondering after going down the cookie aisle in my local grocery store what exactly "hydrox" is and how it got it's name?
-Noreen Prall Lansing, MI

A:Dear Noreen: Thanks for your question. You are of course referring to "Hydrox" brand cookies which to my knowledge are no longer available as the result of a buyout by Keebler. The name "Hydrox" brings back fond memories as Shirley and I always had a box of those delectable treats in our kitchen to offer to the kids and of course for the many friends who used to casually drop by. "Hydrox" cookies were named after Hydrobolas Quinones and Xavier Fonzrelli, the two immigrants who founded the Sunshine Biscuit Company.

HAHA!  Great info!

Billy Barty??  Gotta go see that...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
When I was a kid my mother used to buy us Hydrox. Haven't seen them in years, but IIRC, they sucked.

Sounds like a perfect parental scheme.  "I bought you cookies, it's not my fault you don't like them."
Good way to get kids not to eat junk food.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:49:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought you were asking if there were HYDROXYCUT Cookies lol..............You know - a metabolic enhancer in cookie form.................................!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:51:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember them, they were cheaper than Oreo's, AFAICR.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Last time I donated blood they had bags of little bite-sized ones.

Was that recently?  From what I've read they aren't making them.  Maybe it was a donation of old stock by Sunshine to the blood bank.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was a kid, those thousands of years ago, my father owned a drugstore in Chicago.  There was a soda fountain there and with a milkshake or malted, the customer got two hydrox cookies in a cellophane wrapper.
Cute little blonde girl named Kristen used to come in with her Irish Setter that used to beg for the cookies which I never failed to give him.
Egad, that was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#28]
They still have them here in Tennessee
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Trans fat is BAD stuff
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Trans fat is BAD stuff

Just ask Klinton
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top