Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:54:03 AM EDT
I'm in my 40's and recently noticed that I'm starting to develop a small bald spot on the top/back of my head. Do any of the prescription medications really help to eliminate this? And more importantly, do they regenerate hair growth? I would never do the hair transplant thing, but if I can simply take a pill or rub some cream on my head at bedtime, and really see an improvement, it would be worth it.

If anyone has any experience with this, I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:36:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Get over it.  Going bald just means you're using your testosterone for things other than growing hair.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:44:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Mostly they "thin" your wallet.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes.  Finastriside, the drug in Propecia and Proscar, stops testosterone from turning into another homone, DHT, that thickens your scalp and kills your hair.

I have a twin brother, and he makes a great control.  He doesn't care about his appearance all that much, and so he went ahead and let his hair fall out.  I do care, so I went on Proscar.  It stops hair loss very quickly.  Within a week you stop seeing so much hair in your drain and on your pillow. It grows it back a bit too, but it halts balding very quickly.

For a while I've been broke, and had to stop taking proscar, and my hair has been falling out pretty dramatically.  Bugs me, but I know once I go back on the pill (so to speak) it'll stop.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:10:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mostly they "thin" your wallet.

Which medications have you tried?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I've noticed that my hair is starting to thin out a bit, but I don't give a rat's ass.

Vanity is silly. As my hair continues to fall out, I'll probably just continue to cut it shorter and shorter.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:23:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've noticed that my hair is starting to thin out a bit, but I don't give a rat's ass.

Vanity is silly. As my hair continues to fall out, I'll probably just continue to cut it shorter and shorter.

Let's not turn this into a vanity issue. Like I said in my original post: If I can simply take a pill to avoid going bald, it's worth it. I'm not willing to put forth much more effort than taking a pill or rubbing on some cream.

I think if any man was asked:  "What you you rather have a full head of hair or have your hair fall out?".......Most men would say they'd rather have a full head of hair. I haven't met anyone in my life to date that said they prefer to have all their hair fall out, have you?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
My hair is just gavitating down to my ass. I swear it's migrating.

Maybe one day I can stop wearing underwear.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:31:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Topical preparations with Minoxodil work. A lot of the hair stuff you see, like Avacor, is just Minoxodil with something else. Better to just get the Minoxodil, usually at lower cost.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's some advice: Don't keep it in the same nightstand drawer you keep your fun oils in. I er...heard a story on the radio one time about a guy who developed a fur coat on his little soldier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:34:34 AM EDT
[#11]
good luck chrome dome!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Minoxidil 5%, applied twice daily is a good starting point.
if its not working then add propecia

Lebrew
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:35:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Just SHAVE IT
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
It would seem like (if it worked) it would generate hair growth in all applicable areas.  

But no, I have zero inside info.  Heck, I have to cut my hair at least once a week or I start looking like a damn hippy.      

And some of us think you look like a hippy anyway.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, they work.  They do not work for all men.  Only way to find out is to try.

Minoxodil topical OTC at walmart.

Propecia the pill, go ask your doc.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Use both Propecia and Rogaine.

Most experts agree the most you can do it "keep what you've got".

A few lucky ones will regrow what they lost........very few.

The biggest problem with these meds.....besides some side effects, is if you stop taking them you WILL experience massive shedding
Once you start, you are going to be taking this for life.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#17]
hot chicks love bald guys... let it fall out.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top