Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2010 3:10:25 PM EDT
I need to fire up my old computer to get some pictures off of it. I hooked a monitor up to it, and plugged in the tower and the monitor. When I tried to turn the computer on, it powers up for about 1 second, then quits.

I'm baffled. It worked fine up until I quit using it.

Does it need to have a keyboard hooked up to it for the boot up sequence?
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it's usually one of the things checked during boot-up.

Some BIOS' used to let you toggle a choice to skip that, but probably not anymore.

Besides, you needed a KB plugged in to access the BIOS anyway.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]
OK. I guess I'll bring one home from work tomorrow.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Typically in the event there is a keyboard error during post, you can press F1 to continue.
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#4]
The computer shuts down so fast that nothing even shows up on the monitor. No way of knowing if F1 will work or not...

Link Posted: 12/15/2010 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
No, you don't. Most motherboards will boot without a keyboard and if not they will give the 'F1 to continue' option as stated earlier. Sounds like you have faulty hardware to me. Probably the PSU based on the symptoms.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The computer shuts down so fast that nothing even shows up on the monitor. No way of knowing if F1 will work or not...

Uhm, that's not a keyboard issue.  That's a "blown power supply" issue.  Every keyboard error I have ever seen leaves a "keyboard error" message on the screen and hangs the boot process. It does NOT shut down.

Just pull the drive and bring that home. Slave it to some other computer you have and get your data that way as that computer isn't going to boot with a keyboard attached to it either.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 3:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...hooked up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse...it fired up just fine and I got tha data off that I wanted.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top