Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/3/2009 9:31:06 AM EST
Got a letter from my cable internet provider saying that my lease on the modem is going up to 5 bucks per month.

Found a bunch of really cheap Motorola Surfboard 5120s for 30 bucks with free shipping and it will pay for itself in 6 months.

They are all DOCSIS 2.0.

Will a modem that is 2.0 be obsolete anytime soon?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:45:17 AM EST
Obsolete?

No.

Docsis 3.0 is backwards compatible to 2.0 -

The only caveat to this is that for the screaming hot speeds (here in AZ we have both 25 and 50Mbps available, and 100Mbps coming soon) you will have to buy a 3.0 compatible modem.

Such as the SB6120 from General Instruments Motorola.

Your mileage may vary, but if I was going to go buy a modem at this point, I'd get one that was 3.0 compliant, and then think about upgrading my plan.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:49:41 AM EST
Originally Posted By Sig_Fan:
Got a letter from my cable internet provider saying that my lease on the modem is going up to 5 bucks per month.

Found a bunch of really cheap Motorola Surfboard 5120s for 30 bucks with free shipping and it will pay for itself in 6 months.

They are all DOCSIS 2.0.

Will a modem that is 2.0 be obsolete anytime soon?

You will have to run that by your cable company. Even though 3.0 may be backwards compatable that does not mean your ISP will support the format/firmware etc. Call them and find out. Other wise you are wasting your money.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:50:31 AM EST
Craigslist.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:55:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/3/2009 9:58:49 AM EST by pale_pony]
Hey, similar question...

I had recently bought and installed a Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem and then Cox Cable called me a few months later and said that they would be coming by to install a "new" modem because my "old" modem was not "compatible" with their system...

Anyway, they came by and took out my Linksys and replaced it with some no-name crap and now my SpeedTest results have crashed from 16mps down to about 4mps, WTF???
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:15:58 AM EST
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Hey, similar question...

I had recently bought and installed a Linksys BEFCMU10 cable modem and then Cox Cable called me a few months later and said that they would be coming by to install a "new" modem because my "old" modem was not "compatible" with their system...

Anyway, they came by and took out my Linksys and replaced it with some no-name crap and now my SpeedTest results have crashed from 16mps down to about 4mps, WTF???

I'd be pissed and make some phone calls if I were you.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 10:32:38 AM EST
Originally Posted By pale_pony:
Hey, similar question...

If you check out the forums at DSL Reports, there are Cox Techs/Administrators that frequent them. They will be happy to check out what's happening in your case, and see what's going on, and what can be done to help you.
Top Top