Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2002 10:58:21 AM EDT
Legally, can I get out of it? I don't want it, they can even keep what they already stole. Any thoughts on this?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Legally, can I get out of it? I don't want it, they can even keep what they already stole. Any thoughts on this?
View Quote

If you find a way out of it let me know...only way I know of right now is to become Amish or not work.

I'd only be for SS [i]if[/i] it was either privatised to where its actually beneficial or if when you turned 18 you have the option of not paying into it no more...however any job you have before 18 you're required to pay into it...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm self employed. I don't pay any Social Suckurity.[:)]
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Become a teacher.  My wife dosen't pay into SS.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I pay into a state retirement fund instead.
Not that it is any more stable than SS..
I believe state/county retirement is often exempt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:12:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Nope - you sure don't.  All you have to do is become a member of Congress.  They have their own special system and don't have to contribute a penny into Social Security.

Neat - huh?[+]:D]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Gov't job, state job, be in Congress or Senate will get you away from paying into it.

Matter of fact, Congress and Senate have a better funded system than what we subjects have.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I really don't want [b]another[/b] system, even though I wouldn't mind getting one of those high paying gubmint jobs. I plan on working til I'm dead anyway... just wondered if there was any way to remove myself from this rediculous system.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CAPITALIST
View Quote

However, you pay self employment tax, which is worse because you pay double what the SS rate is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#10]
You can declare yourself an expatriot and pay nothing to the Govt.  But you forfeit your right to vote, your Govt benefits, any claim to Federal Disaster Relief, etc...  Not a good gamble in my book.  To just quit SS?  I have no idea how you would do JUST that.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

The feds don't give back as much S.S. as they take. It's a way for them to get your money. They will not let you out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

The feds don't give back as much S.S. as they take. It's a way for them to get your money. They will not let you out.
View Quote

They keep tons more.  All the people that pay into who die before getting it, their families don't get squat.  And if you are old enough to get it you will get more over time but you'd have been better off putting it into a savings account and not touching it...

Then theres the fact its just a little fund for all the Congress/Senate dumbass' to pay for their pet projects...like smoking taxes and the soda tax in CA [i]if[/i] it had passed and the bullet tax if it passes...

I hate SS.  The Brits actually have a decent system where you have the option to go the privatised route.  Sure its a little more risky but you actually get a return on your investment so I've been told...
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:13:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CAPITALIST
View Quote

However, you pay self employment tax, which is worse because you pay double what the SS rate is.
View Quote

The rate is double because normally your employer pays half and you pay the other half. When you are self employed you pay the whole thing.

So when people say they are getting a lot taken out of their paycheck for SS, think about this, its actually double what you are paying!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Gov't job, state job, be in Congress or Senate will get you away from paying into it.

Matter of fact, Congress and Senate have a better funded system than what we subjects have.
View Quote

Do you think working at a Community College qualifies?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
CAPITALIST
View Quote

You must sell drug then, cause it you pay taxes, you pay SS.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
normally your employer pays half and you pay the other half.
View Quote

The part the employer pays translates into a reduction in the funds available to the company; so the employee gets a reduced salary and effectively pays both halves of the S.S. tax.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 1:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CAPITALIST
View Quote

View Quote

No. I don't pay Social Security. Most of my income is declared "Passive Income" and social security isn't taken out of Passive Income.I only pay 15% of what I make to income tax because its passive
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#18]
The worst part of this is the relationship between SS and Medicare. We pay into a system which pays for health care of people who can't afford it so they can live longer to collect more social security. And to make the final kick in the gut I'm never going to see a penny of the money I'm kicking in.

Essentially people are living longer than they can afford to and the rest of us have to put out for the tab. Not a pleasant thought in the least from the moral/ethical angle. But it's one we're going to have to face.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Work for a railroad. Then you get to pay into Railroad Retirement, which pre-dates Social Security.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
CAPITALIST
View Quote

View Quote

Why would you call me a Fuckin Drug Dealer? You didn't ask me about why I don't pay Social Security before you call me a poison peddler. Get it together
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:37:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CAPITALIST
View Quote

View Quote

No. I don't pay Social Security. Most of my income is declared "Passive Income" and social security isn't taken out of Passive Income.I only pay 15% of what I make to income tax because its passive
View Quote

Technically then, you wouldn't call it "self employed" then would you? Do you file a Schedule C?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:39:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CAPITALIST
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Technically then, you wouldn't call it "self employed" then would you? Do you file a Schedule C?
View Quote

I don't know about the forms. I have my accountants do my taxes. They both explained that the way my business is set up I don't pay into SSI. I'm in Real Estate. Most of my income is only subject to capital gains tax
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Your accountants wouldn't happen to work for Aurthur Anderson would they?
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:08:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your accountants wouldn't happen to work for Aurthur Anderson would they?
View Quote

Aaahaha that's funny.  But he is correct if he does real estate (i.e. buying/selling) profit from that would be capital gains not earned income.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 3:48:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I have [i]heard[/i] that there is a form you can supposidly get from Social Security that will allow you to get out of paying.

The caveat is that you must prove that you have your own personal retirement plan, and that when submitting the form you can no-way-no-how apply for SS ever.

It is a real pain to get them to give you the form. You practicly have to jump up and down on someones desk demanding for the form.

Now I must qualify this as just hearsay. I have no clue if it is true.

But I did meet a 35 year old programmer one time that has never had a Social Security Number. He used to work for Apple and several large corporations. He had a form he carried around that got him out of alot of taxes. Getting a job was a pain because the HR department never knew what to with him and his form. Apparently him and his parents were the real paranoid type and the mentality of "F" the system.

P.S.
The dumbest thing I ever did was get a Social Security Number at 15.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have [i]heard[/i] that there is a form you can supposidly get from Social Security that will allow you to get out of paying.

The caveat is that you must prove that you have your own personal retirement plan, and that when submitting the form you can no-way-no-how apply for SS ever.

It is a real pain to get them to give you the form. You practicly have to jump up and down on someones desk demanding for the form.

Now I must qualify this as just hearsay. I have no clue if it is true.

But I did meet a 35 year old programmer one time that has never had a Social Security Number. He used to work for Apple and several large corporations. He had a form he carried around that got him out of alot of taxes. Getting a job was a pain because the HR department never knew what to with him and his form. Apparently him and his parents were the real paranoid type and the mentality of "F" the system.

P.S.
The dumbest thing I ever did was get a Social Security Number at 15.
View Quote

Hmmm, I always figured there must be a way to get out of it, just never really tried to hard to look it up.  Guess I'll spend some of my weeked looking at the SS site and emailing some of the drones there...

Drawback is I am only 23 so don't have a retirement plan yet (unless you count my savings account [:)])
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The worst part of this is the relationship between SS and Medicare. We pay into a system which pays for health care of people who can't afford it so they can live longer to collect more social security. And to make the final kick in the gut I'm never going to see a penny of the money I'm kicking in.

Essentially people are living longer than they can afford to and the rest of us have to put out for the tab. Not a pleasant thought in the least from the moral/ethical angle. But it's one we're going to have to face.
View Quote

S.S. and Medicaire take a HUGE portion of our tax revenue. If we don't face the issue soon, we are guaranteed to become a country with a few workers supporting a lot of people who don't work. Disaster.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:42:56 PM EDT
[#30]
The IRS tax code determines who is required to pay SS taxes not the SSA.  

Happy reading:

[url]http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/ssact/ircprov/3121.htm#b[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:59:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You can declare yourself an expatriot and pay nothing to the Govt.  But you forfeit your right to vote, your Govt benefits, any claim to Federal Disaster Relief, etc...  Not a good gamble in my book.  To just quit SS?  I have no idea how you would do JUST that.
View Quote

Don't forget that you forfeit your right to own a firearm in the United States ever again.

One of the questions on a 4473 is "Have you renounced your US Citizenship?"
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#32]
SS in the greatest Ponsi scheme perpetrated in history. You cannot opt out of the system because the money you put in is not your money. The money you put in today is used to pay current benefits. Sure, the more you pay, the greater the debt owed to you when you retire or become disabled, but remember, this is still debt owed to you. If, for instance, a major epidemic comes along right before you retire and kills 1/2 of the working population, do you think you'll be getting your check? I think not!

This is one of the major factors why our govt. is hell bent on increasing the population to over 300 million in the next few decades: because we need that level of population to pay off entitlements.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top