Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/3/2006 3:58:01 PM EDT
I've had my Netgear wireless router for a few years, and lately it seems to be acting up. As a side note, I'm not connected through the wireless part, I'm hardlined.

Now, what happens is, certain random times, the cable (broadband) connection simply drops out. However, all I have to do is login to the router and release and renew the address, then it works fine again. Also, when logging in, I have to input my password like 2 or 3 times. It never did that before. Unplugging the router also "fixes" the drop out problem.

Thoughts??
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 3:59:58 PM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
the brushes in the motor might be shot, but then again you might be using dull bits
and what kind of new fangled woodworking tools have password protection?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:00:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 4:01:45 PM EDT by 1Andy2]
lol. I've been in the shop too long.

I thought you were talking about a wood router at first.

eta:
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:01:03 PM EDT
Yeah I would replace it rather than deal with the continued problems. Consumer grade routers tend to overheat and die after awhile.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:02:58 PM EDT
If it's behaving in ways that it never did before there could be other causes than the equipment. It's possible that your provider is having problems with his equipment. That's not likely though, because your provider would probably be getting complaints from a lot of people. Or, it could be that some physical condition in the lines into your house has changed. Again, not likely, but possible. There are other less likely causes I could mention, but their aggregate possibilities lie in the lower than less than likely range.

Since routers are cheap ($60 to $90 dollars top for what you're looking for), I'd suggest swapping the router and see if it helps.

That's my advice. Keep in mind it's free, so take it for what it's worth.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:19:49 PM EDT
I had to buy a new router last month, it was doing the same thing. You would be on the internet one minute and then you wouldnt until you reset it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:22:17 PM EDT
Around Christmas, Best-Buy or CompUSA or someone had them free (after rebate)...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:25:17 PM EDT
I recommend as well that you replace.

I had to replace one about 2 months ago as it kept resetting my ports all by itself, a real inconvenience when playing an on-line game in combat...ouch!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:28:44 PM EDT
Do you think it has anything to do with how many computers you have wired in? I have two hard wired and one using a wireless network card, and I have the same problems (although not the login problem, just the internet stopping).
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:34:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Donna:
Do you think it has anything to do with how many computers you have wired in? I have two hard wired and one using a wireless network card, and I have the same problems (although not the login problem, just the internet stopping).

Everyone with wireless, make sure you have encryption turned on.

I live in a townhouse, and curently 5 neighbors have unsecured wireless (it shows up when you scan for wireless connections). I could surf the web with any of them if I wanted (It is illegeal to do so, BTW)

Keep it secure to make sure fat-ass Blutto next door is not using your internet connection for free...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:35:14 PM EDT
Probably just needs headlight fluid.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:37:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:39:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 50cal:

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
Probably just needs headlight fluid.

That's blinker fluid.

I was using my metric cresent wrench today and realized I needed another can of that
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:41:23 PM EDT
Well, I did think maybe my router was acting up because my cat always sits on it!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:42:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/3/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT by Matthew_Q]
Does the adverse behavior continue if you bypass the router and plug straight into your DSL/Cable modem?

If so, bad cable modem or a problem with the cable connection.

If not, get a new router.

Oh, and I have an almost new Netgear (non wireless) router. Four ethernet ports. Used for about 4 months before I went to Vonage and got a router from them. I'll sell it for $25 plus shipping. All original boxing and documentation included. If anyone wants it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:47:38 PM EDT
Have you made sure you have the most recent firmware installed on your router? Many times firmware updates can solve "strange" issues. Of course, every now and then, firmware updates render a router unusable. But hey, you were getting a new router anyway right???

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:26:40 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies! Even the smartass ones A wood router, LOL My grandpa was a carpenter and those routers were so damn loud!

I guess I'll be getting a new one. Seems like that's really what it is. Btw, I do use encryption, MAC address filtering and all the safety features.

Top Top