Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2001 10:59:43 AM EDT
I'm interested in a .22 kit for my ar and have found an airforce unit that is gas operated. Do these actually work reliably or just a novelty that will make you pull your hair out.

TIA
Idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:23:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say I have heard much about them good or bad. The real question is are there magazines available for it other than 10rounders. One good thing about the Ceiners is you can still get extended capacity mags. I would be pretty wary in any event.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine has always worked perfectly. The only down side were the 10rd mags. I would normally put a couple hundred rounds through it at a time and would always clean it afterward, it gets pretty dirty. I paid $125 for mine NIB and I always thought it was a pretty good buy.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one of those US AF conversions.  For me it was a real waste of money.  It was pretty much a single-shot AR15.  Always jams, never fail.  These conversion kits had a little insert that fits into a standard AR15 mag, and 10 rnds max.  The best luck that I personally had was the one from Colt.  But I am not sure that they are still available.  It seems that they are made in batches, and they run out, they won't be available for a time being.  I understand that a lot of people has had good luck with the Ceiners though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one of them and the major reason why they jam is because the mag insert should have a tab on the front that keeps the mag from dipping in the front.
Only the mag that came with my kit had it and the other 2 that I bought from Sportsman's Guide didn't have them.  So I welded some on and haven't had any problems since...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one of them and the major reason why they jam is because the mag insert should have a tab on the front that keeps the mag from dipping in the front.
Only the mag that came with my kit had it and the other 2 that I bought from Sportsman's Guide didn't have them.  So I welded some on and haven't had any problems since...
BISHOP
View Quote

Hmmm.... I didn't know that.  Good suggestion.

One other thing, I should mention with all of these conversion kits, the residues left behind from the combustion is kind of "gritty," almost like sand, so be sure to clean right after shooting, and before putting the 223 bolt carrier back into the upper.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never had the problem of plugged gas tube after shooting thousands of rounds of 22LR with a Colt 22LR conversion kit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
They worked so good the AF quit using them ! They gave up on it in 1988 or so and wen't back to qualifing with ball ammo. The Army M261 works really well if you KEEP IT CLEAN. I have shot a lot of issue adapters 261's and never had any major problems with the adapter or mag inserts( I'm in the AF and we use the army version for indoor shooting in the winter ! ) For the money the 261 is the best value and the mags are cheap compared to the colt-ceiner's. SARCO has them for $145 new.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
They sucked when I used them back in 79. Trying to qualify with a rifle that jammed after every few shots. Made me wish I had brought my own rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Only problem I had was almost continual dud rounds. In looking I found that the firing pin was very large in diameter where it hits the rim of the .22 round, far larger than any other .22 I'd ever seen. Sooooo, I ground the sides down until it was a flatter and thinner striking face, and that fixed the problem permanently.

As for fouling, yes, the .22 is very dirty, but if you fire a few full power .223's at the end of every session, you'll blow the lead out of the barrel AND the gas tube.

I'd recommend one, they're lot's of fun.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:31:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know if you other guys have this happen, but when firing the conversion I tend to get "sprayed" in the face from something(unburnt powder comming from the gas tube???)
It doesn't happen all of the time but when it does, it hurts sometimes...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I used them when I was in Air Force basic and worked the range at my Air Guard unit when we were still using them and all I can say is: CRAP!  Jammed constantly.  Would be OK if it is real cheap and in new condition and you can only use .22 ammo.  Otherwise I wouldnt waste money on it.

I had one blow shit out of it during basic training qualifying.  All I know is one of the Combat Arms people who supervise kept asking me if I was alright (which I was, didnt feel anything, just a bigger bang and jam) so it must have done something wild.  I think the case split maybe.  I wouldnt use one for anything but a door stop.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#14]
BISHOP: This is right, I get sprayed by hot particles every once in a while also, I would it kind of stings a bit.  But I guess it is just part of the "experience."  I am using a Colt 22LR conversion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top