Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/27/2001 10:57:44 AM EDT
Luke, use the Poll!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:02:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:07:01 AM EDT
Why didn't someone think of this poll LONG ago? Instead of all the [argue] about who's right and who's wrong, lets just cut to the chase and see where our members stand. My prediction....an overwhelming majority will vote in favor of the existance of "god". Jesus, I hope I'm wrong.[devil] Then again, it really makes no difference to me. That's what freedom is all about....to each their own.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:08:34 AM EDT
i voted i don't know...with the caveat that i certainly hope so.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:12:28 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkHelmet: Yes... and here's my theory: If I'm wrong and you're right that there is no God, well when I die I haven't really lost anything. But if I'm right and you're wrong and there is a God. When you die you've lost everything.
View Quote
However, if you've devoted much of your life to a "god", and then find out there is none, you wasted your life. It would make you no better than a Trekkie. (with the exception of, that devoting one's life to a philosophy of goodness and charity isn't so bad)
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:14:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2001 11:16:42 AM EDT by Orion526]
This poll is silly............... Ummm......anyone ever heard of the bible? Ummm......Like anyone ever read genesis? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:15:08 AM EDT
I love Santa Claus.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:17:59 AM EDT
To be, or not to be. That is the question. I exist (I think). Factual knowledge of the existence of a God, any God does not change the fact that I exist.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:18:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fatty: i voted i don't know...with the caveat that i certainly hope so.
View Quote
I don't KNOW either. In teh scientific sense. Most things I have seen lead to the conclusion "YES, there is."
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:22:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkHelmet: Yes... and here's my theory: If I'm wrong and you're right that there is no God, well when I die I haven't really lost anything. But if I'm right and you're wrong and there is a God. When you die you've lost everything.
View Quote
Great idea, but it isn't enough to get me past my inability to make the leap of faith. I find myself unable to [i]believe[/i], and [i]belief[/i] is, according to most faiths, essential to getting on the right side of God. So I just live my life as well as I can, and hope, if there is a God, that the ones who have appointed themselves His Mouthpieces on Earth were wrong, and the Big Guy judges you on worth, not faith.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:29:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker: So I just live my life as well as I can, ...the Big Guy judges you on worth, not faith.
View Quote
Scripturally, we wil ALL fall short in the "worth" category. Sinless perfection is the standard, Scripturally. And I can assure you I have fallen short of the standard.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:33:34 AM EDT
Yes. I can't prove it scientifically, but I still believe. That was the question, right?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:33:41 AM EDT
I knew I shouldn't have given the "Don't know" option.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:36:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: I knew I shouldn't have given the "Don't know" option.
View Quote
Honesty is agnostic. Even though the funamentalists call people fence riders, there is nothing wrong with saying I DONT KNOW.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:40:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BenDover:
Originally Posted By 1GUNRUNNER: I knew I shouldn't have given the "Don't know" option.
View Quote
Honesty is agnostic. Even though the funamentalists call people fence riders, there is nothing wrong with saying I DONT KNOW.
View Quote
Aaaagh! You're right! The original question was "do you believe", but the poll question was "Is there a..." I voted "NO", but I should have voted "I don't know". I feel like a South Florida Democrat...[:E] RECOUNT! RECOUNT!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:42:36 AM EDT
Vote early. Vote often. [:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:44:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker:
Originally Posted By BenDover:
View Quote
View Quote
Aaaagh! You're right! The original question was "do you believe", but the poll question was "Is there a..." I voted "NO", but I should have voted "I don't know". I feel like a South Florida Democrat...[:E] RECOUNT! RECOUNT!
View Quote
Can you say "Trick question" written much like the bible and a script for a psychic friends network reading!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:48:40 AM EDT
No... A resounding NOOO!!! Not a chance.. NOPE Negative... UUmmmmmm.................NO No need for one.. Never met him/her/it Never will.............
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:50:06 AM EDT
Someone go post this at god.com or the like with a header "Crush this poll!!!" HEHE
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:51:15 AM EDT
Just wanted you guys to know I voted yes. I would never forsake [size=4]JOHN MOSES BROWNING[/size=4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:51:24 AM EDT
No doubt.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:51:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Stormbringer: No... A resounding NOOO!!! Not a chance.. NOPE Negative... UUmmmmmm.................NO No need for one.. Never met him/her/it Never will.............
View Quote
HEY!!! No canadians allowed you guys can't (.....) , Let alone (...)[:D]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 11:54:46 AM EDT
Oh come on you know we are experts at(.........) as well as (..........) You just can't handle the truth!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:00:04 PM EDT
"Don't know" just went up a point. W
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:07:06 PM EDT
while i can't prove it, there HAS to be a greater force at work here.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:17:04 PM EDT
"while i can't prove it, there HAS to be a greater force at work here." Goatboy, I believe that was your cue.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:36:40 PM EDT
Yes, of course there's a God, He exists, and He cares about all of us. Period. My father and mother believed so, all four of my grandparents believed so, and I have it on good authority that all of my great grandparents believed so, 'cause I've heard they raised their kids to believe so. As I raised my daughter to believe so, and we are all raising our grandchildren to believe so! That many generations of Huns can't be wrong! Besides which, they all lived highly moraled lives, which could be done, I suppose, without believing in God, but it's not very likely. Sorry. But don't pay any attention to me, you have to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Eric The(AreYouFearfulAndTrembling,Yet?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:49:02 PM EDT
Most definitely believe in God. Jesus is the man!!!! (I mean, God's Son, our Savior) Lawdog As for me and my family, we will serve the Lord
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 12:55:59 PM EDT
"Followers?" You mean the green or black variety? Metal or plastic? As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter either way as long as they don't cause my rifle to jam.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 2:06:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: Besides which, they all lived highly moraled lives, which could be done, I suppose, without believing in God, but it's not very likely. Sorry. But don't pay any attention to me, you have to work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. Eric The(AreYouFearfulAndTrembling,Yet?)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
Well EricTheHun, Since you did ask if I was questioning your patriotism in another thread... R U saying I am not living a morally correct(other than lusting in my heart after some women and firearms)life? Remember now, we are not going to bring up my previous life in the '70s.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:18:00 PM EDT
Post from Bearlaker -
Since you did ask if I was questioning your patriotism in another thread...
View Quote
So, that was YOU? I sincerely hope you're satisfied with what you've learned of me since!
R U saying I am not living a morally correct(other than lusting in my heart after some women and firearms)life?
View Quote
Do you want me to answer that question from man's point of view, or His? Just simply saying that you believe in God is in and of itself insufficient in His eyes - the Apostle James wrote in his epistle - 'Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.' In men's eyes, of course, you can live a thoroughly moral life and not be the least bit given to superstitious religious beliefs. My post said that I thought you [u]could[/u] live a moral life, but that it would be difficult without the guidelines given by God, and the indwelling of His Holy Spirit. I guess I should have said, 'of course, it's possible, the question is why?' I would think that even if you were a confirmed agnostic or atheist it would still be a good idea to see that your children were schooled in a religious manner, in a religious school. You know, kinda like Texas public schools before the Feds got so hell-fire interested in what they were teaching those little heads full of mush! Do you remember Christmas plays in school, I mean in [u]public[/u] schools? I do - they were great! Now for that kind of instruction, you must turn to private schools, which is o.k. 'cause my grandchildren are well-off. Thank God! But that's not right, and it certainly isn't a good thing 'cause my grandchildren have to live in a world of publicly educated kids. I just pity the poor children who are being relegated to public schools for instruction, in anything, much less morals and manners! The poor folks of Texas used to have the benefits of a great, and Christian, education. I oughta' know, 'cause I was one of those po' kids! Now they just have what the Feds want them to have, and that ends with a free breakfast/lunch and 'Heather Has Two Mommies.' Eric The(SleepTightKiddies)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:28:49 PM EDT
I believe in something. If that something is god, so be it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:35:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2001 3:49:27 PM EDT by Bearlaker]
Originally Posted By EricTheHun: Post from Bearlaker -
Since you did ask if I was questioning your patriotism in another thread...
View Quote
So, that was YOU? I sincerely hope you're satisfied with what you've learned of me since!
R U saying I am not living a morally correct(other than lusting in my heart after some women and firearms)life?
View Quote
In men's eyes, of course, you can live a thoroughly moral life and not be the least bit given to superstitious religious beliefs. My post said that I thought you [u]could[/u] live a moral life, but that it would be difficult without the guidelines given by God, and the indwelling of His Holy Spirit. I guess I should have said, 'of course, it's possible, the question is why?' Eric The(SleepTightKiddies)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote
KARMA, not that I'm a Hindu, or Bhuddist, but both have some interesting, and some the oldest ideas on life.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:43:08 PM EDT
It's the part about the trembling that bothers me. This God created people knowing that a good percentage of them would have to be cast into a lake of fire? Do as your told or you will be tortured forever. But he loves you...
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:46:48 PM EDT
There are too many things that science just can not explain. Yes I do believe!
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 3:52:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2001 3:53:38 PM EDT by KBaker]
Originally Posted By BAW: There are too many things that science just can not explain.
View Quote
[size=5][red]YET![/size=5][/red]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:12:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:15:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: Asserting that there is no God, and asserting with accuracy, requires infinite knowledge. I would say that the possession of infinite knowledge qualifies one for Godhood, no?
View Quote
You're really Garandman, aren't you?
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:41:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:00:28 PM EDT
Yes God does exist! If you accept him as your savior then he exist in your heart as well. Go do this....on a clear night look up at the universe and ask yourself how all that was created. Not a question in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:11:02 PM EDT
View Quote
Well...no. That depends on WHICH god you put your faith in, WHICH version (if any) of god exists and how stringent he is about disallowing unbelievers. For instance, if you spend your whole life believing in the Christian God and it turns out that Vishnu is the true god, you're screwed. BTW, there is a name for the mistake you just made, it's called "Pascal's Wager" and it's a logical fallacy for the reasons enumerated above.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 5:15:17 PM EDT
I went home with the nice lady from my doctors office last night. DO I believe in God?? Lets see,,,,,,,,,,,, 1. My God they were huge and had perfect nipples. :) 2. Oh my Lord, it was shaved and everything. 3. Jesus she was nice and tight and God was it fun. 4. Yes, Yes, God yes,,,,,,,,,she said at least three times. I am pleased to say the is God and he is working a little bit of magic everyday.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:23:30 PM EDT
Way to go lonegunman. I am trembling and fearful that this thread is gonna get locked. [sex][sex]]sex]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:29:37 PM EDT
There is a God!! We live in a country with a second amendment. That is proof positive.[beer]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:42:37 PM EDT
3 Gods. Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Occasionally they get together as one God, God Almighty. Like when they made Heaven and Earth.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:49:31 PM EDT
My view on this poll: "Don't know" shouldnt even be an option. People who select "Yes" or "No" don't know either, this poll is to see what you "believe". If there is "No" God, then we will never know there is No God because we will be dead and that's it. No God means No Afterlife. This is unless of course, as many believe, Jesus Christ comes back during our lifetime, then we will know God exists if/when this happens during our lifetime. I vote Yes, because I can just not imagine the complexity of our universe existing without the existence of God. Look around at Earth and it's beauty and the beauty of the heavens. We humans are learning new things about our surroundings that astonish us everyday and we cannot begin to imagine what else there is out there. I just can't look at the wonder of our universe and think that we as humans are the end all be all of life in the whole world in all of it's vastness. My $.02
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:58:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GlockRules: My view on this poll: "Don't know" shouldnt even be an option. People who select "Yes" or "No" don't know either, this poll is to see what you "believe". If there is "No" God, then we will never know there is No God because we will be dead and that's it. No God means No Afterlife. This is unless of course, as many believe, Jesus Christ comes back during our lifetime, then we will know God exists if/when this happens during our lifetime.
View Quote
BZZZZZZT! Sorry, Johnny, but that answer is incorrect! There very well may be some kind of afterlife without there being a God. We don't and can't know that, either. I hope there is, even though I don't believe in a god, big "G" or little, singular or plural. I'd like to think that from here we go - somewhere. Reincarnation, maybe, for some. Another existance elsewhere maybe for others. I don't know. But Heaven or Hell? What unimaginative choices. I wouldn't like the climate in Hell, and I don't think I'd like the neighbors in Heaven. (No offense Garandman, I'm sure you're a nice guy. But I wouldn't want to live next door to you. [:D])Soon enough I'll find out. I'm willing to wait.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 6:58:47 PM EDT
God? Why yes there is. Funny how some of the most famous agnostics, atheists and anti deists of all time, on their deathbeds... all recanted and knew there was a God. Whole bunch of em as a matter of fact. I must look up the quotes of those guys, poignant and rather sad. I am of the opinion that at our final hour... if we are allowed the time to reflect on our impending demise, that God does indeed touch our immortal soul, as if someone knocks at the door, as if to say.... I am here on the other side. You might be shocked if you heard some of the quotes by leading non-Godders on their deathbeads. Poignant and sad really. I find the guy comparing a Christian to a trekkie to be fully on the road to his reward, I would that it be otherwise. To spend a moral life, as best you can contrive to do so since none are perfect save Christ, and die in the peace that only God can grant is a waste?? There is a God- you have tried your best and look to be rewarded for being his servant and trying to do his will There is no God- you have lived an upstanding life, helped others where you could, and obeyed the golden rule and treated others as you would have them treat you... your memory in others eyes will be unstained and respected as an upstanding man.... there can be no better epitaph. This will also apply to the above since there is a God by the way. Dram out
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:04:57 PM EDT
Post from Bearlaker -
KARMA, not that I'm a Hindu, or Bhuddist, but both have some interesting, and some the oldest ideas on life.
View Quote
If I were Hundu or Buddhist, I would hang my head in abject shame. If, as you say, Hinduism and Buddhism have claims to being two of the oldest belief systems in the world, they sure have piss-poor little to show for it! And speaking of oldest belief systems, just where does Hinduism stand in the timeline with Judaism? Well, let's just say when the [i]Bhagavad Gita[/i] was first written in 100 BC, the Hebrew Bible was almost one thousand years old! While certain of the vedic hymns were written as early as the 14th Century BC, Vedism had run its course by c. 900 BC, and had been overtaken by Brahmanism. The [i]Brahamanas[/i] were written in c. 800 BC, and from that particular source religion we have the divergence of Hinduism and Buddhism, both beginning c. 500 BC, with Buddhism being the younger of the two by about 100 years. Since the last book in the Old Testament that is a part of the Muratorian Canon was Malachi, written c. 400 BC, we see that the Hebrew Bible was basically complete before the Hindus or Buddhists had even got their respective shows on the road! Now when you think of impact on the modern world, what religion do you first think of? When you hear of a disaster occurring anywhere in the world, what religious organizations are the first to arrive? When you see children starving to death in a land overrun with cattle, which religion do you think about? Even the Moslems had to come up with the Red Crescent organization to show that it was up to the task of relieving human suffering, as the Red Cross had been doing since the 19th Century. Where's the Hindu and Buddhist versions of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent? Hint: They simply don't exist. If they do, then you simply don't see them on anything that approaches the Western scale. So you can pattern your morality after these particular world religions if you like, but you sure will have to do a lot of 'rama, rama, hare krishnas' to feel good about it! Eric The(WhyNotPickAProvenWinner[:D]?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:07:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 7:12:38 PM EDT
Post from Attman -
This God created people knowing that a good percentage of them would have to be cast into a lake of fire? Do as your told or you will be tortured forever. But he loves you...
View Quote
Sorry, Bub, but He did give you freedom of will to do as you choose. If He simply wanted to have folks worship Him, He could have just created robots. Your choice is to believe and obey or not. The ball's in your court! Eric The(AndYouOnlyGet[u]One[/u]Shot,BTW)Hun[>]:)]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top