Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/15/2017 2:35:05 AM EDT
Hey guys, been in a manufacturing environment for several years now and was wondering how folks can put up with working next to someone for decades without going insane. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I do what I can to put it out of mind, but if the jobs requires reading, math(albeit simple) and the product(in our case critical aircraft components), is it too much of management or HR to step in and cut the BS chatter(not here and there, but rather all day, and to the point of yelling most of the conversation), popping of gum, and other distractions?

Have already made enemies approaching folks about gum, but when you're loud enough to be heard 8 hours a day while I have earplugs in, I'm gonna let you know :-)

Again, HR doesn't seem all too concerned, speaking to supervisors, transplants from other sites, they're surprised any food/candy to include gum is allowed on the production floor as it was policy not to have such at their previous locations.

Guess this is a vent more than anything, but I'm all ears for suggestions...and yes, I'm already looking elsewhere, I know this will probably be an issue at most places however the demographic makes a big difference, and I can honestly say that the few other jobs I've had weren't full of so many adult children.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:37:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, been in a manufacturing environment for several years now and was wondering how folks can put up with working next to someone for decades without going insane. I know I'm not the only one out there, and I do what I can to put it out of mind, but if the jobs requires reading, math(albeit simple) and the product(in our case critical aircraft components), is it too much of management or HR to step in and cut the BS chatter(not here and there, but rather all day, and to the point of yelling most of the conversation), popping of gum, and other distractions?

Have already made enemies approaching folks about gum, but when you're loud enough to be heard 8 hours a day while I have earplugs in, I'm gonna let you know :-)

Again, HR doesn't seem all too concerned, speaking to supervisors, transplants from other sites, they're surprised any food/candy to include gum is allowed on the production floor as it was policy not to have such at their previous locations.

Guess this is a vent more than anything, but I'm all ears for suggestions...and yes, I'm already looking elsewhere, I know this will probably be an issue at most places however the demographic makes a big difference, and I can honestly say that the few other jobs I've had weren't full of so many adult children.
View Quote

If everyone else is the asshole, you may be looking at the problem backwards.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
At this point I'm assuming they're doing it because they know it's pissing you off. If you can hear gum smacking with earplugs it isn't right.
I doubt HR wants to get into a pissing match between you and an irritating prick unless actual rules are broken.

I own a manufacturing business. When guys are working on top of each other they get on each other's nerves. I try to lay out the floorplan to accommodate space. But eventually growth means I need to put too many guys in a room all over again. It's an endless cycle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:13:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Based upon my experience someone will have things catch fire or permanently bonded in place.  Worse I’ve witnessed was dry ice in supervisors gloves – she would have murdered that prick if not stopped.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:28:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can sympathize with you OP...

Years ago, the click-click of spike heels women wore then was terribly distracting to  someone in their 20's...

Later I always had carpet in my business offices to avoid this issue...
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:30:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Work is a distraction from my life of leisure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:40:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Op sounds like the marriage of pajama boy and a dick.

I only have one real cow irker really and he gets on my nerves almost daily.

Never stops jaw whacking whether its in polish or english, eats stinky nasty food, talks incessantly about soccer which he knows I care nothing about, constant love life drama(he's at least 55), and feels the need to tell me stupid shit whether I'm trying to read, work or take a shit.

Your situation sounds like cake.

Bubble gum, good lord.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Op sounds like the marriage of pajama boy and a dick.

Never stops jaw whacking whether its in polish or english, eats stinky nasty food, talks incessantly about soccer which he knows I care nothing about, constant love life drama(he's at least 55), and feels the need to tell me stupid shit whether I'm trying to read, work or take a shit.

Your situation sounds like cake.

Bubble gum, good lord.
View Quote

I work with one of those types. One of our lift drivers told him to stfu today though. I think he's starting to suspect that nobody likes him or cares about anything he has to say.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:48:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I wish I had OP's problems.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Bubble gum, good lord.
View Quote

Dang buddy, hope you're not an editor. Will re-emphasize on the critical aerospace controls part...planes can't pull over beside the road, so concentration and attention to detail are rather important. I don't know, I may need Adderall.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think there is much HR or a supervisor can or will do, unless it's in the case of excessive talking, and in that instance they might just give them more work.

I do feel your pain.  I share an office with 5-7 other people.  Woman behind me makes awful noises, every day hacking, coughing and blowing her nose all day long (literally), and when she's not doing that she's making awful "mouth sucking noises".  Frankly she's just the most disgusting, foul person i've ever met.

Than there are a few other loud chatty cathy's in the office, and one person with a PhD (my best guess is he found one in a Cracker Jax box) who seems completely helpless when it comes to looking stuff up so I have become his first stop for questions, many of which he can find the answer to by spending a few minutes looking in our databases.

I've learned to use headphones, sometimes I don't even plug them into anything, and I have also found a few quiet places where I can work off of Wi-Fi without interruption.

It's not that I am unfriendly and don't want to talk/deal with these people...I am just given so much work that I literally have to make every second at work count or else I need to finish that stuff up at home or get further behind.

Constant interruptions are just awful for trying to get anything done.  I've found I need a good 2-3 minutes to really focus and get into a task.  If I am constantly getting interrupted every 5-10 minutes I basically can't get anything done.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#12]
The way to make HR or the company to care is to say it's a safety issue. I don't know if that's the case for you or not. Don't be the boy who cried wolf about it though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:55:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Popping gum? How the hell do you even make it through the day? That's much worse than when fatty mccunt wobbles over to bitch at you inbetween bites of hohos and a sip of diet coke because you didn't do things the way she mentally imagined you to do so.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I love it when a customer calls me in to diagnose a problem with a machine and then hovers over my shoulder talking while I'm trying to focus on the machine.  One time I turned around and asked a customer to run out and get me coffee just so I could concentrate on the machine.

OP, does your company have a suggestion box?  If so, drop an anonymous note stating workplace distractions could/will cause problems with the manufacturing of critical components thus causing end user complaints.  That might get someone's attention.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:15:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Been in manufacturing for over 25 years.  Don't ever let your boss know what job you hate the most....especially if you're a slacker.  Don't ever let your boss know who you hate the most....you and your enemy will be best friends before you know it.    I tell my people to talk all you want...just make sure you keep that damn line running and watch your quality.  10 hours of doing the same monotonous shit every day without talking...lol, ain't gonna happen.  People aren't machines.  Sometimes you just gotta listen to their bullshit....even the hippies.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Are other employees raising the same concerns?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I've worked at my job for so long and am so used to the bullshit, I'd probably miss it if it were to suddenly cease.

Being a maintenance employee makes it easier to avoid mixing it up with dumbasses. I pretty much stay in my hole sitting in a cozy chair off the beaten path until something breaks, then I go fix it, then go right back to my hole again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:30:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I find just being honest is best, when my co-worker is singing or some other annoying shit I just yell "shut the fuck up!" He laughs gives me a "fuck you bro!", we get alone great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:31:36 AM EDT
[#21]
misophonia - look it up you might have it.  My daughter has it BIGLY, my wife to an extent, and discussing this with a co-worker last week he has it as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I do assembly for aircraft parts. I understand where you're coming from, I'm really easy to talk to and people stop by to chat a lot and it slows me down. Food and gum are FOD and my work space is a FOD free zone. Take that shit to the break room. If HR doesn't step in, remind them that a source inspector would penalize or get the contract pulled from your company for not following rules on FOD. A accident like that, even though it may not ever happen, could mean serious Federal trouble, like loose butthole trouble.

Edit: and my hazmat containers are not there for fucking soda bottles and candy wrappers.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Annoying problem with a simple solution.
A few well placed pieces of chewed gum laying around will have company policy changed in no time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I thought this was going to be about tits.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
OP, you may be in the wrong line of work.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#26]
You would really hate working at my shop. Your post is like wearing a sign that says "Fuck with me". Lol
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#27]
sounds like every production floor I've ever been on. want to make friends? get them to stop allowing coffee in the work areas.
Shit I used to wrap solder around a guys soldering iron plug, plug it back in, and then turn off his power strip, and wait for the lulz when he realizes his iron's cold.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:51:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Hot chick in short skirt and tight top. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:55:44 AM EDT
[#29]
sucks to be you guys... all my distractions at work involve pencil skirts and translucent blouses.

EDT beat by 4 seconds
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#30]
OP....it could be worse.

I have to take an 8 hour corporate class about distractions in the workplace
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:25:08 AM EDT
[#31]
I share an office with a morbidly obese, gossip, know-it-all, squealer, constantly talking to herself just to hear her voice, late-50's woman.
Trying to troubleshoot a problem with her non-stop inane chatter and bodily smells has raised my level of concentration to such a high level, I think I could ignore an atomic bomb detonation in the same room.
I've asked to be moved, but they won't do it because no one else can put up with her.
On the plus side, I really enjoy the days when ole' noisy-stinky takes off.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#32]
The door to my office opens to a break room.  6 times a day (2 morning breaks, 2 lunch periods, and 2 afternoon breaks) I can forget about getting anything done because of the noise.  And closing the door is not an option...there is no other ventilation, so the room get stuffy quickly.

What a stupid place to put an office.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Just me and another coworker....
My latest tactic
When he eats chips with his mouth open, I go to YouTube for this:
Potato Chips
Seems like whatever he eats, there's a corresponding video for it
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:07:27 AM EDT
[#34]
all the time.
people interrupt me when im trying to figure out jobs
but its what i do and i know how to deal with it
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:13:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Can you wear muffs to preserve your hearing from the machines or would that be a safety concern?

I work in manufacturing in the engineering team and we have a fair number of people that bullshit daily and go out of their way to burn time in worthless conversations. The ones that bug me are the worthless conversations they try to have with me. I have never once had a job where this wasn't the case with at least some people. There can't be too many companies that have a team comprised entirely of no bullshit people.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#36]
What have you got in your mouth?

Nuffim.

Nuffim, eh?  Lyle!

Gum!

Chewing gum on line, eh?  I HOPE YOU BROUGHT ENOUGH FOR EVERYBODY?

I...I didn't know there was gonna be so many!!!

BANG!

Boy, is he STRICT.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:28:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I can sympathize with you OP...
Years ago, the click-click of spike heels women wore then was terribly distracting to  someone in their 20's...
Later I always had carpet in my business offices to avoid this issue...
View Quote

I had a secretary like that when I was only 26 and I got a "battlefield promotion" to Chief Financial Officer on the corporate leasing side of a property company that owned and operated upscale apartment complexes all across the gulf seaboard.

Can't remember her name...but I remember her skirts. And how I liked to ask her to get files for me out of the bottom file drawers.
She knew damn well what she was doing to us poor guys on the top floor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I can honestly say that the few other jobs I've had weren't full of so many adult children.
View Quote

I walked away from a secure career in manufacturing management because as time went by, it became apparent that what I was really doing was overseeing a large adult day care center.

I didn't bust my ass for an engineering degree to listen to employees gripe about each other all the fucking time.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#39]
And yet, somehow, everyone else in your workplace seems to do their jobs well despite these distractions.  That's why nobody seems overly concerned about it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:56:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I walked away from a secure career in manufacturing management because as time went by, it became apparent that what I was really doing was overseeing a large adult day care center.

I didn't bust my ass for an engineering degree to listen to employees gripe about each other all the fucking time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can honestly say that the few other jobs I've had weren't full of so many adult children.

I am beginning to think all production environments are like that. I oversee and provide QA for a team of data processors, they are the worst group of people I have ever worked with.  Thank God my last day is Friday.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Worked as QC at a power equipment mfg for 10 years. Nothing but air ratchets, impacts, staple guns going off all the time. Then there were the IC guys that regularly hit beams, polybins with their forklifts etc so you couldn't just focus on your work, had to keep an eye out for out of control drivers going too fast. I dunno about you OP, never saw anyone have trouble with distractions other than when they were counting. The distractions usually came in the form of chatting while someone should be working and slowing the line. Or someone putting on country music, that would piss off about 2/3rds of the building.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:11:36 AM EDT
[#42]
'The amount of noise that anyone can bear undisturbed stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity and may therefore be regarded as a pretty fair measure of it.' -- Arthur Schopenhauer
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:33:52 AM EDT
[#43]
What OP would like.

My current job is pretty great, I'm off in the corner off the office, it is silent most of the day, and I usually have headphones in. Zero distractions other than Arfcom.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 10:45:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are in fact a lot of useless sheep type people in the world.
Sometimes, though quite rare, the wolf is indeed surrounded.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:00:50 AM EDT
[#45]
I have all of you beat.

The FNG in Acct. Management has proven that he is the worlds dumbest functioning adult.

Been employed all of two months and knows EVERYTHING.

Has even gone to the extent of saying one of our best techs gave him bad information.

A real fucking 28 year old winner!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:05:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#47]
Sounds like misophonia.  I've got this myself.  Can't stand the sound of even my own kids chewing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Corporate accounts payable, Nina speaking.  Just a moment.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#49]
It could be a lot worse op. You could be dealing with Gen X'ers complaining about their medical issues and what not all the time
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said.

https://youtu.be/laFGAp6Ip40
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top