Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2004 6:55:46 PM EDT
May 5, 2004
Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush
By JIM RUTENBERG

ASHINGTON, May 4 — The Walt Disney Company is blocking its Miramax division from distributing a new documentary by Michael Moore that harshly criticizes President Bush, executives at both Disney and Miramax said Tuesday.

The executives said that Disney had forbidden Miramax to distribute the film, "Fahrenheit 911," which links Mr. Bush and prominent Saudis — including the family of Osama bin Laden — and criticizes Mr. Bush's actions before and after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

Disney, which bought Miramax more than a decade ago, has a contractual agreement with the Miramax principals, Bob and Harvey Weinstein, allowing it to prevent the company from distributing films under certain circumstances, like an excessive budget or an NC-17 rating.

Executives at Miramax, who became principal investors in Mr. Moore's project last spring, do not believe that this is one of those cases, people involved in the production of the film said. If a compromise is not reached, these people said, the matter could go before an arbitration panel, though neither side is said to want to travel that route.

In a statement, Matthew Hiltzik, a spokesman for Miramax, said: "We're discussing the issue with Disney. We're looking at all of our options and look forward to resolving this amicably."

But Disney executives indicated that they would not budge from their position forbidding Miramax to be the distributor, which would require the use of Buena Vista, Disney's distribution arm.

"We advised both the agent and Miramax in May of 2003 that the film would not be distributed by Miramax," said Zenia Mucha, a company spokeswoman, referring to Mr. Moore's agent. "That decision stands."

Disney came under heavy criticism from conservatives last May after the disclosure that Miramax had agreed to finance the film when Icon Productions, Mel Gibson's studio, backed out.

Mr. Moore's agent, Ari Emanuel, said that Michael D. Eisner, Disney's chief executive, asked him last spring to pull out of the deal with Miramax. Mr. Emanuel said Mr. Eisner expressed particular concern that it would anger Gov. Jeb Bush of Florida and endanger tax breaks Disney receives for its theme park, hotels and other ventures there.

"Michael Eisner asked me not to sell this movie to Harvey Weinstein; that doesn't mean I listened to him," Mr. Emanuel said. "He definitely indicated there were tax incentives he was getting for the Disney corporation and that's why he didn't want me to sell it to Miramax. He didn't want a Disney company involved."

Disney executives deny that accusation, though they said their displeasure over the deal was made clear to Miramax and Mr. Emanuel.

A senior Disney executive elaborated that the company has the right to quash Miramax's distribution of films if it deems their distribution to be against the interests of the company. Mr. Moore's film, the executive said, is deemed to be against Disney's interests not because of Disney's business dealings with the government but because Disney caters to families of all political stripes and believes Mr. Moore's film to be overtly partisan against Mr. Bush.

"It's not in the interest of any major corporation to be dragged into a highly charged partisan political battle," this executive said.

Mr. Moore, who will present the film at the Cannes film festival this month, criticized Disney's decision in an interview on Tuesday, saying, "At some point the question has to be asked, `Should this be happening in a free and open society where the monied interests essentially call the shots regarding the information that the public is allowed to see?' "

Mr. Moore's films, like "Roger and Me" and "Bowling for Columbine," are often a political lightning rod, as he sets out to skewer what he says are the misguided priorities of conservatives and big business. They have also often performed well at the box office. His most recent movie, "Bowling for Columbine," took in about $22 million in North America for United Artists. His books, like "Stupid White Men," a jeremiad against the Bush administration that has sold more than a million copies, have also been lucrative.

Mr. Moore does not disagree that "Fahrenheit 911" is highly charged, but he took issue with the description of it as partisan. "If this is partisan in any way it is partisan on the side of the poor and working people in this country who provide fodder for this war machine," he said.

Mr. Moore said the film describes financial connections between the Bush family and its associates and prominent Saudi Arabian families that go back three decades. He said it closely explores the government's decision to help members of the bin Laden family leave the United States immediately after the 2001 attacks. The film includes comments from American soldiers on the ground in Iraq expressing disillusionment with the war, he said.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Could it be that Moore is the king Assclown of all time, and a pathalogical liar?

Good for them!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm actually applauding a decision by Disney?? The end is near...
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont know much about how the film biz works, but if Disney can kill anything by Michael Moore, what a victory for the children.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a mistake.

Michael Moore will end up in a bright media spotlight where he will complain that his views are being suppressed by evil corporate shills of the Bush administration.  He'll bang that drum until he finally gets his way.  Which, by then, he will have gotten himself tons of free media attention for his little piece of lying, crappy movie.

Edited to add:

Michael Moore is a Cheeseweasel.

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Eisner, Weinstein, Hiltznik, Mucha, Emanuel, Moore...I find myself not giving a shit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is a mistake.

Michael Moore will end up in a bright media spotlight where he will complain that his views are being suppressed by evil corporate shills of the Bush administration.  He'll bang that drum until he finally gets his way.  Which, by then, he will have gotten himself tons of free media attention for his little piece of lying, crappy movie.

Edited to add:

CORRECT. Disney is doing this deliberately to run up media buzz. Its all a hoax.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This is a mistake.

Edited to add:

They will play this game for  couple weeks and somehow the "film" will get released and the sheeple will be lined up around the block with $7.50 in hand for a ticket.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is a mistake.

Edited to add:

They will play this game for  couple weeks and somehow the "film" will get released and the sheeple will be lined up around the block with $7.50 in hand for a ticket.

I hope you're wrong but sadly I wouldnt bet. Doesnt matter who distributes it. The lies will sell as fact.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
This is a mistake.

Edited to add:

I think you have stumbled on the actual and well thought out marketing plan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Eisner, Weinstein, Hiltznik, Mucha, Emanuel, Moore...I find myself not giving a shit.

No kidding, that was one of the most Kosher articles I have read in a long time.  

Perhaps Eisner realizes the power that he has on public opinion, and he wants to see Bush and the Neo-cons reelected so the “War on Terror” will roll over Syria, Jordan, Iran, and all the other threats to Israel.  

I wonder what's in the movie that is so controversial...

Actually it wouldn't suprise me if this is also being done to stir up attention to the film as mentioned earlier.

Oh, you forgot the author of the actual article, Jim Rutenberg.  Looks like Moore is the only Goy in the bunch.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No kidding, that was one of the most Kosher articles I have read in a long time.  

Perhaps Eisner realizes the power that he has on public opinion, and he wants to see Bush and the Neo-cons reelected so the “War on Terror” will roll over Syria, Jordan, Iran, and all the other threats to Israel.  

I wonder what's in the movie that is so controversial...

good to see the Jew haters out in full force tonight
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:23:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
good to see the Jew haters out in full force tonight

Eh? How do you connect "not giving a shit" to "haters"? Very curious.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:29:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Guilt by association I guess.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Which by then will PERFECTLY coincide with the "blackout" period for political ads right before the election whereby Micheal Moore will make the rounds with Larry, Katie, Matt and all the other talking heads and be able to spew his bullshit lies virtually unopposed.

Farenheit 911:
"The Movie That The Bush Brothers Didn't Want Anyone To See"

Coming this October (surprise!)

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#15]
EVERYTHING is all about the money.

Follow the money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 10:36:10 PM EDT
[#16]
So, where are the absolute-free-speech whiners???

I mean, if we're gonna cry a river about ClearChannel 86ing Howie Stern, then where's the outcry here???

Seriously, though, free speech doesn't apply unless you're dealing with the govt, so I'm relieved that the right-to-crap-in-a-public-parking-lot crew hasn't shown up yet...

Disney probably believes that this film will be a stinker, and doesn't want any of it's divisions associated with it for fear of LOOSING MONEY...

Watch for Moore to 'Pull a Gibson' and release it anyway, independantly (although I don't think he has Mel Gibson-class resources. He's rich, but not THAT rich. Also, a Bush-whacking movie is not in the same league as a movie about the Crucifixion)....

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:49:04 AM EDT
[#17]
How is a documentary about Bush’s involvement or knowledge about 9/11 not free speech about the government?    

Michael Moore is indeed a “Cheeseweasal” but I’m not omniscient, I don’t know for a fact that Bush wasn’t complicit in 9/11.  Do I think he was?, no not really, but it is rather silly to think that just because you like him, and he is a “good ole boy like you” that he is automatically innocent.

Again, how is Moore’s film not free speech about the government?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Michael Moore? ... on full auto!!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:27:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think you have stumbled on the actual and well thought out marketing plan.

Bingo !
Disney has pulled this before. Several years ago they bought a  record label  who's stable included
a rap group called "The Insane Clown Posse", a couple of costumed, lip synchers who rapped about axe-muder, rape, etc.

Disney claimed they had no idea that the group's lyrics were so raunchy and sent out a press release
claiming they would drop ICP and never  release their next CD. A few weeks later, after all the free publicity, they released it.

This flick will be released, right in time for the campaign blackout.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
How is a documentary about Bush’s involvement or knowledge about 9/11 not free speech about the government?    

You (unsurprisingly) miss the point.  The First Amendment guarantees your right to practice free speech unfettered by GOVERNMENT controls.  It DOESN'T guarantee that a private corporation (Disney) has to give you a platform from which to speak.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:46:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Any company that has the lack of standards Disney is known to have, will not hesitate to slam GWB at any chance. They must think we still watch Barney.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:56:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You (unsurprisingly) miss the point.  The First Amendment guarantees your right to practice free speech unfettered by GOVERNMENT controls.  It DOESN'T guarantee that a private corporation (Disney) has to give you a platform from which to speak.  

We have a winner!
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I never said that Moore had a constitutional right to be funded by Disney.

Actually, I bet Eisner and the rest of the Kosher Crew at Disney and Miramax pulled the plug due to anti-Semitism in the film.  Moore is a thoroughly wet liberal, and his type usually don’t have enough common sense to know who they can’t say bad things about...

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:42:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I never said that Moore had a constitutional right to be funded by Disney.

Actually, I bet Eisner and the rest of the Kosher Crew at Disney and Miramax pulled the plug due to anti-Semitism in the film.  Moore is a thoroughly wet liberal, and his type usually don’t have enough common sense to know who they can’t say bad things about...

That's a pretty bizarre theory.

What possible anti-semitism (specifically against Jews) would there in in a documentary about 9/11 and supposed links between Bush and Saudi families?

What about Micheal Moore's past films would lead you to expect that?

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 10:49:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Moore makes documentaries?  I thought he made propaganda films.  He certainly has an agenda.  He certainly reports from one side.  

from merriam

Main Entry: pro·pa·gan·da
Pronunciation: "prä-p&-'gan-d&, "prO-
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Congregatio de propaganda fide Congregation for propagating the faith, organization established by Pope Gregory XV died 1623
1 capitalized : a congregation of the Roman curia having jurisdiction over missionary territories and related institutions
2 : the spreading of ideas, information, or rumor for the purpose of helping or injuring an institution, a cause, or a person
3 : ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#27]
I have not seen the movie obviously, but I have read several articles which have speculated that Moore might discuss a link between the CIA and the Mossad.   I don't know for sure though.  

Here is the most recent one I read.  Don't everyone get their panties in a wad either, its not an "Evil Nazi" site.

www.orgonelab.org/MastersOfDeception.htm

"Since making his millions by skewering capitalism, he's also plunged into the conspiracy swamp and is preparing a new disinformation film Fahrenheit 911, financed with $3 million from Disney/Miramax, that will blame Bush and the CIA (and Mossad?) for the 9-11 terror attacks."

If you are bored and want to delve into the 9/11 conspiracy literature, here is an interesting one.  If your not going to read it though, don't waste the board's bandwidth commenting on it.  I would like to hear constructive criticisms if anyone reads the paper and wants to offer them, but if your simply going to act like a child and cuss and moan--just save it, its boring.

www.voxfux.com/features/stranger_than_fiction.htm

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I say let him release it. No sense in making him look like a 1st Amendment Martyr.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]

"......regarding the information that the public is allowed to see?' "

Information???
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#30]
From what I know, this movie brings attention to the links between Bush's 1st Oil compony Arbusto Energy, Inc. and one of the Bin Laden boys(Osamas older brother).

I consider myself to be pretty unbiased.    I dont support Bush nor do I support Michal Moore.

Though the business connections between GWB and Salem bin Laden aren't disputable, that doesn't really mean much politically.    I think this movie is being released by Mike Moore to sway the conservative opinion on GWB, since librals aren't gonna vote for Bush anway.    Moore wants to put a spotlight on the Bush family and Arab money so conservatives will ask "Why in the world is our boy Bush doing business with **insert slur here**?(Sand Ni**ers, muslim terrorists, Camal Jockies)

Well for 1, The Bin Laden family is very wealthy and the Bush family is very wealthy as well.   See they already have a lot in common.    Money talks weather your an Arab Muslim or White Christian so it's really no surprise that these two would do business.    Another thing to remember is that Osama is the "black sheep" of something like 20 children, so until recently the Bin Laden name didn't coincide with Jihadist terrorism.    Of course Salem bin Laden has connections to the Saudi Royal family so they were protecting his business interests when they got involved with Arbusto Energy, inc. and no one is more involved in the oil industry then the Saudis.    

Like I've said before, Bush is a president that you either have unconditional love for and he can do no wrong, or you despise him and belive he isn't possible of doing 1 minor thing right.    I don't think this movie will have much impact on people's votes much as Bowling For Colombine hasn't had any impact on gun ownership in this country (though I did see it, and I still love me some guns).
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Mr. Moore, who will present the film at the Cannes film festival this month, criticized Disney's decision in an interview on Tuesday, saying, "At some point the question has to be asked, `Should this be happening in a free and open society where the monied interests essentially call the shots regarding the information that the public is allowed to see?' "

I'm truly surprised I didn't hear the phrase "CENSORSHIP" thrown out... despite, the fact, of course, that it is a private company deciding whether or not to push the film. Maybe he could address the subject of "monied interests" in a "documentary" about Kerry's Theresa's millions, Hmmm?

Mr. Moore's films, like "Roger and Me" and "Bowling for Columbine," are often a political lightning rod, as he sets out to skewer what he says are the misguided priorities of conservatives and big business. They have also often performed well at the box office. His most recent movie, "Bowling for Columbine," took in about $22 million in North America for United Artists. His books, like "Stupid White Men," a jeremiad against the Bush administration that has sold more than a million copies, have also been lucrative.

At least the author didn;t refer to them as "documentaries", a term which lends this dirtbag entirely too much credence.

Mr. Moore does not disagree that "Fahrenheit 911" is highly charged, but he took issue with the description of it as partisan. "If this is partisan in any way it is partisan on the side of the poor and working people in this country who provide fodder for this war machine," he said.

Hmm. Seeing as how the only party that claims to speak for those "poor and working people" is the Democrats, I guess that, along with past performance, kind of sets the tone without even seeing the trailer, doesn't it?

I won't wish harm on anyone specfic. I just wish that providence would cause his career celebe to go away, or become posthumous. I grow more tired of his incessant whining, and the Pavlovian response of the media to any of his shrill cries, regardless of their vancany.

Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:30:08 PM EDT
[#32]
good, one because michael moore is an asshate, and two because  I'm pretty sure this movie comes out after the time limit the campaign finance reform law has for ads that mention specific candidates, thus this movie is a blatant run around of that law (it's a bad law, but I don't want the dems benefitting from this)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top