Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 4:10:34 PM EDT
I need to get an HD signal for my new HD TV.  Any opinions regarding Dish vs. Direct TV?  Thanks.
-Jack
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've had Dish network for almost 10 years with very few problems, but I think directv has more at the moment for HiDef
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:54:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
WAIT!  DirecTV will be announcing their new, ALL HD system soon.  The sats are up and have taken over the *standard* programming (i.e., the old [20+ year old] sats have been replaced), and the new system is supposed to be available in the spring.  It will use different fequencies, and the standard-def programming will still be available for at least several years.

Anyway, going HD today would mean getting set up for the old system, with only 20 HD channels and MPEG2 compression.  Given that the new system is so near release, it isn't worth it unless you MUST have HD now, or unless you don't think you'll be able to (or want to) afford the new system.  Expect it to be someone expensive, with a likely installation charge and somewhat pricey equipment, since it will be all-new and "premium".  But no one else is going to be able to touch it, as it will have hundreds of digital HD channels.

-Troy
SBCA & WildBlue Certified installer

Dtv...
The new HD channels will be Mpeg4.  My High Def Tivo will still work on the current HD channels for awhile still.  Then I get a free swap to their High Def DVR when it comes out later in the year.
Can't wait for more HD channels...  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Get both!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
DirecTV and a antenna
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top