Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 6:53:37 PM EDT
The content itself is fine, I especially like the concert series (Dream Theater live, Papa Roach live, etc). But the pic quality usually just plain sux. They compress their feed or something to save bandwidth and on a high quality setup th pixelation is horrendous.

Happens randomly, depending upon what they decide to compress I guess....

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, I have Dish as well.  DirectTV does the same and Comcast is hit or miss.

The folks over at avsforum.com call it HD-lite.  They only have so many birds in orbit, and are sacrificing feed quality in order to give us a higher number of HD-lite channels.  The highest quality HD content I have gotten is over-the-air broadcasts from local stations with a Lowes antenna I threw in the attic.

The Unit on Tuesdays kicks butt in HD, btw.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure that the original program source is HD?

I see what looks to be up-converted and resized NTSC on a lot of "HD" programming.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
It's ironic that by far the best way now to get HDTV is with an antenna.    antennaweb.org will tell you what stations you can pick-up, what size antenna you'll need, and which direction to point it.  I'm seeing more an more big UHF antennas in nice neighborhoods.  Crappy cable companies and limited satellite bandwidth has taken us back 25+ years to the time when we had get up and rotate the antenna when changing channels.z
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's ironic that by far the best way now to get HDTV is with an antenna.    antennaweb.org will tell you what stations you can pick-up, what size antenna you'll need, and which direction to point it.  I'm seeing more an more big UHF antennas in nice neighborhoods.  Crappy cable companies and limited satellite bandwidth has taken us back 25+ years to the time when we had get up and rotate the antenna when changing channels.z
Pansat Free-to-Air
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Comcast and I've noticed the same stuff. Sometimes, primetime HD shows will look fantastic, othertimes it will be noticeably inferior to friends' pictures
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:30:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy, you're scaring me from upgrading to HD. It sounds like too many things are thrown into the mix.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Ah crap, I was just thinking of going dishnetwork over my comcast
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy, I see no provision in my 622 receiver (Dish) for native resolution. I can change it, but I see no way to have it select the native resulotion for whatever I may be watching.

My TV is connected via HDMI cables, with the audio going directly to the audio reciever because my TV for some reason does not passthru Dolby info.

Blu Ray content is EFFFING AMAZING SHITE, I will not likely enter a movie theater again (Transormer movie excluded). On one HDMI input I have the PS3, the other is for Dish.

Interestingly enough, I did a local channel scan using the Dish reciever and found a number of locals that are digital. Problem is NONE of them are in HD. Digital, just not in HD format (muddy screeen, 4.3 aspect).

I have not seen pixelation occur with any of the Showtime or HBO HD channels yet, but havent been on them a lot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Check your signal strength on 129.  Also check all connections from dish to receiver.  You need to have RG-6 rated to at least 2400 mHz.  When my system was installed, the installer removed all of the connectors on my wall jacks and ran the cable straight out of the wall.

I have the Dish HD Gold package and all of my HD channels are great.  I've got a good signal on all 129 transponders (most run in the upper 60s, several in the upper 80s).  The only time I have any problem (and I've only had the service for 2 weeks) is during a heavy rain.  I've had that happen one time and the only channels that had problems were Food HD and the channel above that.

I am very happy with Dish thus far.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:20:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I know you can select the output for HD programming (I keep mind at 1080i).  I use the format button for everything else.

My only complaint about Dish thus far is that the PQ on my local CBS affliate is worse than it was with cable.  But then again, the PQ on the local ABC affliate is better.  An acceptable trade-off IMO.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:57:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I have Dish with an older 811 HD receiver and use a NEC 240K front projecter onto a 72" DA-Lite screen.

Looks fantasic in HD and extremely good in SD.

My projector is not native 720P, but XGA (1024x768) .....

I watch everything in 720P - my projector supports 1080i, but the picture is not good - too much up/down conversion .....
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Troy, you're scaring me from upgrading to HD. It sounds like too many things are thrown into the mix.

There ARE a lot of things thrown into the mix, and most consumers are totally clueless.

With SDTV, you only had one resolution and one aspect ratio, so you never had to even think about those things, must less ADJUST them.  HDTV has multiple resolutions (480i [SDTV], 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p), and most TVs have several settings for aspect ratio/zoom/format.

Then, you'll eventually need to upgrade all of your related AV equipment to handle HD signals.  Your cable box or satellite receiver, your DVD player, your DVR (if separate), and possibly your audio receiver.  Oh, and I guess I should mention video game consoles as well.

And depending on how many inputs your TV has and what type, you may need a switch box in order to get them all connected properly.

I won't even go into all of the various types of displays, and their strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, it IS somewhat complicated, especially given that we are still in the transition period between formats, so lots of things are still changing.  In a couple of years, things will have settled out considerably, and manufacturers can work to simplify certain things, such as reducing the amount of analog inputs and increasing the number of HDMI inputs on all TVs.

Still, HDTV can be a great experience TODAY.  You just need to realize its limitations and complexities.  And by doing some research and planning BEFORE you buy, you can make sure your TV has the features and connections that you'll need now and going forward.

A couple of months ago, we did an HD upgrade at a McMansion where the guy had 2 large professional plasma monitors, for which he paid $42,000 EACH.  But they were 4 years old, and had only one set of analog component inputs.  When I explained that he'll need a converter box to hook up his 2 HDMI components (sat receiver and HD-DVD player), he decided that he's just gonna replace them with modern units...    I left him my card in case he wants to get rid of those old, obsolete displays...

-Troy

THIS was my issue...We get this great TV, but the picture does not always look good. WHY??? I ask Mr. Playmore.
Hubby is like Troy here, knows how to get the picture the way it needs to be gotten. He's tried explaining it to me, but I just don't get it I just don't.
...what I DO get ishow the HD pic changes when I adjust the image by pressing one of the remote buttons. The HD channels would look better in some forms than others. I dunno why. I just know which button to push. That button changed the screen completly. Considering we have 5 remotes, I'm happy I can remember which damn button to push so I can see every blade of grass on the Eagle's 50 yard line.

Simple 'girl' solution, but maybe it IS that simple.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:21:25 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...what I DO get ishow the HD pic changes when I adjust the image by pressing one of the remote buttons. The HD channels would look better in some forms than others. I dunno why. I just know which button to push. That button changed the screen completly. Considering we have 5 remotes, I'm happy I can remember which damn button to push so I can see every blade of grass on the Eagle's 50 yard line.

Logitech Harmony. Best remote EVER. I <3 mine.

Had it, didn't work with my system, took it back...  Looked cool, though!
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#23]
After some time on Discovery HD, I notice no pixelation on that channel. It's usually on HDNET during concerts. Weird.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm fairly geek-savvy, and try to stay up on the technical side of this stuff, but all the format and resolution hi-jinks is what has kept HD from really catching on thus far.  

The consumer never knows what he is getting.  The whole HD thing is a big bait and switch.  

When you go to buy a monitor, unless you really know your stuff, you might be getting native 720p, 1080i, something that's been upconverted, or downverted, or something in between.  

The consumer never knows what the source signal is, whether it's been manipulated to some other resolution, or whether it exceeds his equipment's ability to display the full resolution.  

I understand (I think) why all this is happening: networks believe that content, not quality, drives profits, and will downgrade the signal to provide more content than quality (because the bandwidth required right now exceeds the ability to deliver full HD quality and still keep all the content).  The problem for the early adopter, and the quy who wants high quality, is that he never knows what he is getting.  

Moreover, the guy who just wants to see sports or a movie in true HD, without having an EE degree, gets cheated because he rarely, or only gets by accident, a true HD picture, and thus he's soured on the whole HD thing, and doesn't believe that it's what it's cracked up to be---because in its current form, it isn't.  

As a result, the industry suffers.  

I KNOW I don't give a crap about all the different standards, but simply want to sit down and watch 1080p programming.  

I'm frankly surprised that the consumer hasn't just stayed away entirely.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Pixelation can mean several things, are you getting breakup from low signal? (which does happen BTW)

My guess is you're getting conversion artifacts from not having the receiver output in your displays native resolution, when my 622 showed up it was set to 480i. if you're watching a smaller flatscreen 720p might be the best bet or 1080i on a bigger screen or a CRT.

There's no way to know what combination of connections and settings will work best without trying them, my TV looks noticably better through component cables than HDMI, which is apparently common with CRTs, but not fixed pixel displays.

I don't get any artifacts when viewing true HD content, but there's a lot of upconverted content, particularly from film, where the picture isn't so great.

Discovery is the best channel really for PQ, but HDN looks really good on my set too, so there's probably some improvement possible.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:43:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on the harmony remote. I used to have a sony with and lcd screen that did everything, then I went to a friends house that had a harmony and I was impressed with how it worked and how you program it with the computer so I bought one on sale for cheap before christmas. Much better than the sony.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Plus 1,000,000 on the Harmony. Granny, yo baby momma, dem kids and they friends will easily operate the A/V system with single button pushes that set everything. Just pick from the list. Coolest gadget ever. 4 remotes replaced and untouched for 9 months.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks troy, so what you are saying is that for those of us who want good stuff, but only want to buy it once, we need to wait, and let the market settle the issue.

Cool

TXL
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had it, didn't work with my system, took it back...  Looked cool, though!

I will mention it to the techie hubby...Thanks!
I can create simple webpages, but electronic crap baffles me.

We just got a cable box with DVR capability. When I want something "taped" I hafta ask my 9 year old.
And <slight hijack> How's that adorable baby???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top