Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2006 11:10:49 AM EDT
It's like cancer eating cancer.  Must be a lot of freaked out politicians running around DC right now.

Friday, Jan. 06, 2006

Disgraced Congressman 'Wore a Wire'

Sources tell TIME that Duke Cunningham wore a wire after agreeing to cooperate with a graft probe
By TIMOTHY J. BURGER

Washington's power players have always bragged about being well-wired, but for disgraced former congressman Duke Cunningham, "wired" wasn't just a figure of speech. In a week when legislators are focused on the question of who else might be brought down by ex-lobbyist Jack Abramoff’s cooperation with prosecutors as he seeks lenient sentencing over his two federal guilty pleas this week, sources tell TIME that ex-Rep. Cunningham wore a wire to help investigators gather evidence against others just before copping his own plea.

Sources familiar with the situation say Cunningham, a California Republican who pleaded guilty Nov. 28 to taking $2.4 million in bribes — including a yacht, a Rolls Royce and a 19th Century Louis-Philippe commode — from a defense contractor, wore a wire at some point during the short interval between the moment he began cooperating with the feds and the announcement of his guilty plea on Nov. 28.

The identity of those with whom the San Diego congressman met while wearing the wire remains unclear, and is the source of furious — and nervous — speculation by congressional Republicans. A Cunningham lawyer, K. Lee Blalack, refused to confirm or deny the story, and wouldn't say whether Cunningham will implicate any other members of Congress. The FBI is believed to be continuing its probe of defense contractors involved in the Cunningham case. An FBI spokesman declined comment. Asked whether Cunningham, an ace Navy fighter pilot decorated for his service in Vietnam, had worn a wire, the spokesman said the response from a higher-up was, "Like I'd tell you."

www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1146700,00.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
It's like cancer eating cancer.  Must be a lot of freaked out politicians running around DC right now.

LOL as if a damn thing will come of this. More grandstanding and chest pounding, and things will go back to business as usual in no time.

The real tragedy is that Duke has admitted to being bought off and has dishonored himself and cast a black cloud over his honorable and admirable service.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Way to go, Duke!
First you're a thief, now you're a snitch.  

And to think, you could have been just an American hero and legend.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:03:39 PM EDT
[#3]
So much for the Republicans restoring "honor and integrity" into office.  I guess they will have to take that out of their slogans for 2006 and 2008.  The Dems are loving every single scandle that comes up because they are going to use it in the next to elections to show that the Republican's can't be trusted because they are all crooked.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Plenty of dems with hefty donations funneled by this guy too:

www.capitaleye.org/abramoff_donor.asp

But it's true, this'll shake things up for 6 months and it'll back to business as usual.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#5]

politicians are only temporarily disgraced and never punished.

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#6]
The GOP members caught took nearly 2X more money.  This can only mean good things for the Dims, you know what the media spin will be already.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:34:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The GOP members caught took nearly 2X more money.  This can only mean good things for the Dims, you know what the media spin will be already.

Not really… 1st it was not 2 times and when you look at the numbers on amount of money given both sides it roughly reflects the percentages of party representation in Congress.

What it means is this will likely go away real quickly.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Way to go, Duke!

I have  no problem with him being a snitch.  Do you want the other thieves to get away with it?

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Way to go, Duke!

I have  no problem with him being a snitch.  Do you want the other thieves to get away with it?

He was a thief.
Instead of taking his punishment, but lightened his load by trying to take others down with him.
Personally, I want all these guys caught and hanged (including "Duke"  fuck that , I'll call him "Convict Cunningham, AZ687095050").  But, I have no tolerance for people who squeal to save their own asses.  It's a dichotomy that I live with.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top