Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/26/2006 8:48:07 AM EDT
Shooting suspects in robbery?

Ramona Laxson, 69, answered the door Monday night to find at least one of three men armed with a gun at her front door.

She yelled for her husband's help, and Norman Laxson, 71, armed himself with a gun and shot at the suspects, killing one and seriously wounding another, Bakersfield police reported.

The third suspect assaulted Laxson and took away his gun but no other shots were fired. The third suspect was caught running away from the home.

This happened in Bakersfield CA Tuesday evening.  71 year old Norman Laxson who had both knees replaced and a back surgury has been in a wheelchair for most of the past several years.  Laxson was a firearms dealer who gave up his FFL several years ago but still goes to local gun shows and sells a few guns sometimes.

The three home invaders knocked on the door and hid out of sight with ski masks on.  Mrs. Laxson opened the door and they forced their way in striking her and knocking her to the floor.  She cried out for help and her husband came in the room and shot the first guy who was armed with a handgun killing him. (He had a long criminal record and his most recent conviction was for firearm theft)

Next guy armed with a knife is shot several times in the torso and I heard will never walk again.  At this point I think Mr. Laxson's firearm was empty because the 17 year old third bad guy (also with a lengthy criminal record already) took the firearm from Laxson and beat him with it before he fled.  He was captured by Bakersfield Police within minutes and along with paralized second bad guy will face "Home Invasion Robbery, Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Battery, Burglary and Felony Murder" charges.

Most of this is from my memory of news reports the past 2 days I could not get on the Bakersfieldcalifornian.com site.  Some news reports have said Mr. Laxson armed himself when his wife called for help.  I am guessing he had a firearm with him already.  I am thinking this case would not have turned out so well if Mr. Laxson was required to have a trigger lock on his firearm.  I am guessing it would have turned out poorly for he and his wife instead of the criminals.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Made my day! Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:53:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Nicely done!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Sadly the will use this as proof that criminals will just "take the gun away from you" line of reasoning....

Goot shoot tho....I wonder what kind of weapon...if it had been a normal capacity pistol he might have shot the third guy as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Good shoot.

Too bad this poor guy and his family will be the subject of lawsuits until the day they die.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Proof that IF the criminal takes the gun away from you, it had better be fired until empty!

A Big THUMBS UP for Mr. Laxson.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sadly the will use this as proof that criminals will just "take the gun away from you" line of reasoning....

Goot shoot tho....I wonder what kind of weapon...if it had been a normal capacity pistol he might have shot the third guy as well.

The only reason he got his gun taken away from him was because he ran out of ammo.  I could easily say that considering the first two went down in a one way hail of bullets the last one would have been dead or disabled if there was atleast one more bullet in the firearm.

ALSO considering that the home owner/defendant was disabled and elderly I doubt that there will be much that anyone can do against them considering the three had criminal records, broke into their home, attacked them and a list of other crimes before hand.

I would buy that guy some ammo... if I had the money to spare.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Well Done, Pops!

Course...in Kali...they'll probably let the BG go (He's suffered enough...) and jail the Old Man for defending his home.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Poor Mr. and Mrs. Laxson are alive but may well wish they had just died in the robbery by the time the courts are done with them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Poor Mr. and Mrs. Laxson are alive but may well wish they had just died in the robbery by the time the courts are done with them.

And the paralyzed guy is gonna sue for sure.  

Still, it is good news.  I wonder how many home invasions have been aborted because they put an end to these pukes crime spree.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The only reason he got his gun taken away from him was because he ran out of ammo.  I could easily say that considering the first two went down in a one way hail of bullets the last one would have been dead or disabled if there was atleast one more bullet in the firearm.

ALSO considering that the home owner/defendant was disabled and elderly I doubt that there will be much that anyone can do against them considering the three had criminal records, broke into their home, attacked them and a list of other crimes before hand.

Don't cali laws prohibit guns with over 10 round mags?

Probably why he ran out of ammo to begin with...if he had 12, 13, 15, 17 or 19 rounds like many modern 9/40/45 handguns do....
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably why he ran out of ammo to begin with...if he had 12, 13, 15, 17 or 19 rounds like many modern 9/40/45 handguns do....

+1 My thought exactly.... if he had 15-17-20 rounds in the mag instead of  10, all the bad guys would have been taken care of.

Mag capacity laws do NOTHING to inhibit criminals, as we see here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Yet more proof that gun control kills!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Only hi-caps for me.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

This happened in Bakersfield CA Tuesday evening.

Home town baby, about 3-4 miles down the road from me.

Talking to a retired cop friend of mine today you should here him rant and rave about how unfortunate it is that the poor old man was restricted to only a 10 round magazine.

Maybe if he had a 14 or higher capacity magazine it would be 2 dead and 1 paralized.

Should also hear this retired police officer talk about how much worse and more common home invasion burglaries are becoming.

With regards to the paralized dude, I think my friends words for him were something along the lines of, "Yeah, he'll be nothing but a rolling blowjob machine on wheels in prison".

Laughed my damn ass off at that.

The husband was at the top of the steps in the home, not being able to wheel his hampster (or whatever those little 4 wheeled powered chairs are) down the steps.     He waited for them at the top of the stairs and they lined up to come for him next and he opened fire when they were in his sites.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Any chance for a link?  This is a good one to file away for later arguments.

EDIT:  Found one: www.turnto23.com/news/6402333/detail.html
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Any names for the perps? Just curious.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting to find a case in the real world where restricted magazine capacity hurt the good guy. I will have to remember this one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No.

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
For a minute I thought it said "Disabled Former Gun Dealer Shoots 71 Home Invasion Robbers."

I thought the Zombie Invasion had started.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Good job!

http://www.bakersfield.com/updates/story/5854197p-5869512c.html

Elderly man shoots robbery suspects to protect his wife

By STEVE E. SWENSON, Californian staff writer
e-mail: [email protected]

Posted: Tuesday January 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Last Updated: Tuesday January 24th, 2006, 3:55 PM

A 71-year-old Bakersfield man responded to his wife’s plea for help by shooting at three home invasion robbery suspects, killing one and wounding a second, Bakersfield police reported today.

Norman Laxson, who has sold guns online, rushed to the aid of his 69-year-old wife, Ramona, as she was confronted Monday night at her front door by the suspects, according to police and an Internet search.

Police responded to the 9:48 p.m. incident and found Laxson bleeding from multiple cuts as he was seated just outside his front door, the department reported.

Next to him was Jose Covarrubias, 18, who was on the ground with multiple gunshot wounds, police said.

Nearby, was Jermaine Dabbs, 24, who was dead from a fatal gunshot, police said. A loaded handgun was located next to him, police said.

Laxson was injured in a struggle with the third suspect, a 17-year-old boy who attacked Lawson after his buddies were shot, police said. The boy wrestled Laxson’s gun away from him, police said.

The youth ran away but was arrested a short distance from Laxson’s house in the 9900 block of Kearney Hills Drive, police said. That’s in Rosedale near Brimhall Road and Calloway Drive.

Covarrubias was in stable condition at a local hospital, police said.

He and the youth were arrested on charges of robbery, conspiracy, assault with a deadly weapon and murder, police said.

The murder charge stems from the state’s felony murder rule in which murder charges can be filed against suspects in a felony during which someone was killed, even if the suspects didn’t actually fire a weapon.

Laxson was also treated at Kern Medical Center for his injuries and he was in fair condition Tuesday morning, a nurse said.

His wife was not hurt, police said.

Dabbs has a long criminal record from 2000 to 2004, including theft of a firearm, battery, trespassing, several thefts and disrupting a school, according to records in Kern County Superior Court.

He recently got out of prison from a 2-year term he receive in the gun theft conviction, records indicate. Covarrubias has no record as an adult in Kern County Superior Court.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#25]
HA HA
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:42:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Needed a G-19 with the 33rd mag option....

Lite em up like a sprinkler.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#27]
[Moe Sizlac] So I shot him in the spine....    Next place he robs better have a wheel chair ramp[/Moe Sizlac]

Sounds like the wounded guy is going to be permanently paralized.    Perfect time to dust off the above Simpsons quote...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Good stuff.  God Bless that man.

Max
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:49:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually, if he is like most old guys, he went for something more traditional anyway like a revolver or a WWII surplus gun...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#30]
good shot.

I hope I'm never involved in a shooting, but if it is to be...that sounds like a pretty good outcome.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
[Moe Sizlac] So I shot him in the spine....    Next place he robs better have a wheel chair ramp[/Moe Sizlac]

Sounds like the wounded guy is going to be permanently paralized.    Perfect time to dust off the above Simpsons quote...

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Stories like this warm my heart and bring a tear to my eye. Good shootin ole man.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Forwarded to Rep McCarthy, "with warmest regards"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:57:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Good shooting!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

No...

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Please tell me what the fuck this statement has to do with the story:

...who has sold guns online....

Anti-gun fuckwit reporter.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Dang it two still alive
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Well Done, Pops!

Course...in Kali...they'll probably let the BG go (He's suffered enough...) and jail the Old Man for defending his home.  

Not in Kern County they wont.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No California laws do not prohibit guns with magazines holding more than 10 rounds.  He probably had a 7 or 8 shot .45 and no spare mag.  You guys thinking the two living criminals will sue may be right, but they will not win.  There is not a jury in America that would give them a cent.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Interesting to find a case in the real world where restricted magazine capacity hurt the good guy. I will have to remember this one.

I have heard nothing of restricted magazine capacity being an issue in this incident.  It is still perfectly legal to own 12, 15, 17, 20, 30 or higher capacity magazines in California.  You just cant bring new ones into the state.  My Laxson being a former firearms dealer he probably has regular capacity mags for his firearms that take them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Another one three bite the dust.

and another one three down, and another one three down..

Another one three bite the dust!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Reply: Not till its empty bitch.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't fuck with them old men. 1. They don't really give a shit 2. Never heard of rehabilitation
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#44]
There is a GOD.

Nice shooting pops. If anyone knows him find out if he needs any help.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
From the 41 Reasons to Support Gun Control: "Police operate in groups and with backup, so they require larger magazines than civilians, who are often alone and out-numbered and thus need less ammunition."

Seemed approriate.

And why is it that all these muggers, rapists, home invaders, etc. always have rap sheets as long as my leg? Couldn't you keep them the FIRST time you locked their filthy asses up?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have heard nothing of restricted magazine capacity being an issue in this incident.  It is still perfectly legal to own 12, 15, 17, 20, 30 or higher capacity magazines in California.  You just cant bring new ones into the state.  My Laxson being a former firearms dealer he probably has regular capacity mags for his firearms that take them.

Sooner or later the supply of legal standard capacity magazines WILL be an issue in states like mine, and then someone in this old guys shoes might just have problems because they ran out of rounds...........
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 12:02:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/VonErnst/IMAG00461.jpg

cool...what is it?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:37:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Exactly, the old gent was able to control his firearm and take out 2 crooks. I bet he had a wheel gun, so mag capacity, or lack thereof is a non-issue in this case. If he had an autoloader, the news reports would have been sure to point that out
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#49]
'An Ma Cuzin said:

Boo Got Shot! Boo Got Shot!

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:31:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
And why is it that all these muggers, rapists, home invaders, etc. always have rap sheets as long as my leg? Couldn't you keep them the FIRST time you locked their filthy asses up?

Because Californians dont have the stomach for punishing criminals.  Because they will talk tough on crime, unilt its their brother.uncle/husband that get busted, then they want rehabilitation, therapy, diversion, probation, house arrest, ect.

You have to make crime a lifestyle choise for a significant portion of your adult life before you will ever spend the night in a California prison cell.  We give people informal probation for things they send you to prison for 10 years for in Texas.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top