Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:59:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 7:02:43 AM EDT by WinstonSmith]
Ok, they got sidetracked in the Ammo forum here, and it sounded like it could get good..

So what's the nastiest thing that's happened to you at work? How do you cope with doing a job like garbage collection or septic sucker in the 90' heat?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:04:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WinstonSmith:
Ok, they got sidetracked in the Ammo forumhere, and it sounded like it could get good..

So what's the nastiest thing that's happened to you at work? How do you cope with doing a job like garbage collection or septic sucker in the 90' heat?

I must be getting soft but I can't eat anymore when that show is on.
I have no idea how those folks do the jobs they do ( some of them aren't bad ) but I'm glad they do it. There is no money in the world ( well,it would have to be a hell of a lot more than what these guys are getting ) that would get me down into a septic tank or sewer system or some crap like that. NOPE,not gonna clean up someone elses fecal matter/puke/sanitary napkins on and on.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:09:51 AM EDT
Worst dirty job I have ever done involved cleaning out the pit at the base of the elevator leg when we owned our grain brokerage. Imagine the smell of rotting corn, 100+ degree heat and 95% humidity in a confined underground space. Oh, and you would always find lots of nasty fat rats.

SBG

BTW -- I always thought that Slumlord should have them come work in his complex for a day.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:11:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 7:13:42 AM EDT by raven]
I was just thinking about this as I was brushing my teeth. On a construction site, during a remodel, we had to change the septic lift pumps. Which meant the tank had to be emptied with a Shop Vac so we could pull it out. Guess who was the low man on the totem pole? That was pretty disgusting vacuuming up about 3-4 feet of fresh shit with a Shop Vac.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:22:10 PM EDT
One of our drivers brought his Mack cab over front load (The kind of truck with the forks in front that dumps the big containers with the pockets on the side.) in the shop after running his route. We asked him if he needed any repairs, he said that when the truck had gotten to operating temperature it smelled horrible. (I guess more than normal.) He said that the smell was coming out from underneath the cab. My Father, brother in law and myself sniffed around the cab but could find anything. My brother in law Curt started to jack up the cab (Mack cab overs have a hydraulic lift system.) while we went back to repairing another truck. Curt started he started yelling “Get over here” “Oh my god, you gotta see this!”

We walked over to the truck and there’s the carcass of a beheaded cat. The cats body was intact but the engine had ”slow roasted” it and driven all the moisture out. It was like a mummy. We looked around the engine and found the now mummified head, caught in the injection lines.

I told Curt, “So, take it off.” He wouldn’t touch it and my father had disappeared (Smart man) while both of us argued who should pull it off. My six foot three and 275 pound brother in law was on the edge of puking when my father came back and told me to pull it off.
I put on a pair of gloves and then covered the body with a rag. I grabbed the carcass by the spine. The cat crunched and reminded me of an old Thanksgiving turkey carcass left out way too long. My father stood back and laughed at me as I stood on the trucks front tire, hunched over the engine rocking the carcass back and forth trying to get it unstuck from the engine. The crunching sound had grossed out Curt so much; he had to walk out of the shop.
I finally removed the body and threw it in a trashcan. Then I pulled the head off. The dried eyes were still in the sockets but you could look through the pupil (Now just a open hole) and see the interior of the eye. I was still holding the head just as Curt walked in. I knew Curt had a weak stomach for anything that had to do with death. I turned and held it up and held it as close as I could to him and said, “Look, I found the head!” Curt was in shock and kind of stared at it for a second then he started yelling “Throw it away, Throw it away. Stop it, that’s sick.” I tossed the head, because previous experiences had shown me that when Curt got nervous, it could come out either end. (He and my sister tried to watch Night of the living dead with me and had gotten so freaked out the made me go to dinner with them so I would stop watching it. Then when we got to the restaurant Curt couldn’t eat because his stomach was bothering him so much.) I followed him around the shop for a while with something else in my hand saying, “Look, It’s cool” for a little while until my father made me stop.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:31:03 PM EDT
We had parked some trucks outside and it had rained overnight. My father and I came in the next morning and were walking around the trucks, checking for flats. We walked around the rear of one of the trucks and noticed that the hydraulic oil, water and juices that collected in the hopper had turned kind of a yellow color. My father said, “Look, it looks just like chicken and rice soup.” Then he said after seeing the rice (maggots) swimming “No, more like moving rice soup.” Since he thought that was funny, he had to show everyone his new Campbells Moving Rice Soup. That kinda grossed me out. I still like chicken with rice soup but every time I see a can, I remember that.

My father had sayings that he thought were funny so he would say these to people who asked how business was.

" It's picking up."

"It stinks."

"Your trash is my bread and butter."

"We're doing great, We're hiring, fifty cents an hour and all you can eat."

"We cater too."

"Smell that, it smells like money."

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:33:23 PM EDT
I was 19. I worked for an FBO(fixed base operator) which had the service contract for a few major airlines. I got stuck on lav duty, which is pretty much shit sucker for an airplane. So I'm servicing this Continental Md-80, and there's a malfunction with the lav. I could go into details about the lav service for an Md-80, or I can cut to the chase, and say I took a bath in blue juice. Immediate trip to the Haz-Mat shower, went home, changed clothes, got back to the airport, and requested the fuel truck. No more lav duty that night.
Top Top