Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 4:44:38 AM EDT
Just got a letter in the mail yesterday from Comcast Cable, informing me of the latest rate increases....

Right now, I'm paying over $110/mo for cable TV and high speed internet.
Since I spend all day at work on the 'net, and since Comcast decided to raise rates, I'm going to drop their internet/cable package altogether...

I had Direct TV a few years ago and liked it, but switched to cable only for the high speed internet.

Anyone know of any good offers or promotions going on right now ???

Direct TV ? Dish network ???

Currently I have about 5 TV's hooked up in the house... And need to maintain a minimum of 2 of them. 3-4 would be nice though.

Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks in advance !

ART
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with Dish. I also go tired of Comshaft and all of their billing "mistakes". I did a lot of research on the sat companies and decided to go with Dish. Unfortunately, I still have Comshaft as my ISP because there simply is no other choice for high speed cable in my area. If you have an HD tv then you will really benifit by going with Dish. Even the SD channels are much sharper than on Comshaft. I still have a couple of Dish Gift Cards that would save you some money. Send me an IM if you are interested. I'll give you the code that you need for the savings.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have Dish Network and they have been good to deal with over the last two years.  They have good deals on installation and prices are about like the others.  They have the usual music channels plus you get Sirius Satellite on it.  I have been total pleased with them.  You can't go wrong.  I have two 100 hr DVR's that I love.  Go with them... I don't think you will regret it. I haven’t!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:10:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Dish Network.

I've had cable and Direct TV. Dish is the best thus far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:31:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Cancel cable and get Dish or DirectTV.

Then, about a month later, call Comcast and tell them that you are considering cancelling their internet subscription.  I did, then I asked what they could do for me.  They dropped my internet to $29.99 a month for a year.

It worked for me, it'll work for you.

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Art I'm right behind you dropping Comcast when the rates go up in Feb also. Fuck them. The guy living right beside me has the same pkg. yet pays 15% less. I ask them to compare mine to his......"sorry sir we cant do that".
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have Dish and I asked this very question here a couple of months ago because I was thinking about changing to Direct. After some on here advised of the poor customer service with Direct and then finding out first hand after I called them. I stayed with Dish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:39 AM EDT
[#7]
see if dish has a dsl "partner" in the area and get the services combined.

you can get 120 channels for about $45 a month.

Get the DVR.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Dish. I own stock in the company  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dish. I own stock in the company  

I contract for them....business is SLOW right now....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Comcast cable and internet.
Its faster than dial-up and I dont want a dish in my front yard.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Comcast internet, but DirecTV satellite.

I switched to Comcast digital cable at the insistance of my wife.
She was tired of weather blackouts (not too frequent).
After a week of Comcast digital, she had me yank it and re-up the satellite.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Do you have DSL as a option? It doesn't sound like your a heavy internet user at home. DSL has droped rates here in charlotte, NC to $15 per month for 1.5 Kbs.

For the satellite, go with Dish Network, If you get a good installer you should have littel black outs.  I lived in Florida last year and it didn't black out once during the hurricanes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:19:40 AM EDT
[#13]
In north ATL you only hear nightmare stories about Dish Network.  I'm still looking.  Adelphia sucks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I've been more then happy with comcast. After three months of billing errors in a row, the fourth time they screwed up it was in my favor and I havn't complained. I've deen getting the three-month promotion price indefinately. :D

No issues with the service either, good net connection.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Shouldn't the title of this thread have the words Hive Mind somewhere?

I have DirecTV with TiVO and it is teh r0ck!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I had Dish and had to get rid of them because trees were blocking the sat signal.  Now I have DirectTV and they are fine--might be a little more expensive and I get a few less channels that I liked on Dish.  The Tivo system on DirectTV is nice but Dish's PVR was not bad just more primative.  I never lose signal now with DirectTV.

I tried to get Comcast but they suck so much it isn't funny.  Apparently Verizon will be offering cable service in parts of MD before too long, and I hope competition gets Comcast back in line.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#17]
You can always tell cable and satellite to F-OFF like this guy.

www.register-herald.com/cnhi/registerherald/homepage/local_story_331233330.html
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Our Comcast bill here in Indianapolis went up to $166.00 a month for internet and their silver program package (1 premium channel and the regular line up.) plus 4 converters for digtal or HD or what ever they want to call it. They wanted $40.00 more for phone service.

We went to DSL on SBC for $54.00 a month with the phone included. The Dish will be a bit more, but nothing like the Comcast bill.

I hear some people complain about the dish, but Comcast's bills are getting ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Comcast cable service stinks.    I too was considering dropping my Enhanced Basic (non-digital) cable package after the costs kept creeping up and up ... close to $60/mo just for that package alone!  If I wasn't addicted to Comcast Sportsnet (Eagles, Flyers and Sixers coverage) I would be with another provider in an isntant.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:34 AM EDT
[#20]
I have DISH now and really like it, BUT,  i just got a HD TV and I don't want to spend the 500.00 or so to buy the DISH DVR receiver.  I'm looking into Comcast, but their monthly price is more than DISH for  the same stuff.  
Pay now or Pay later?  

So to pose another question.........What's the best service for HD TV guys?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Dish is easier to navigate by far
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have DISH now and really like it, BUT,  i just got a HD TV and I don't want to spend the 500.00 or so to buy the DISH DVR receiver.  I'm looking into Comcast, but their monthly price is more than DISH for  the same stuff.  
Pay now or Pay later?  

dish has the most HD...I think...they have voom+
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#23]
comcast cable and internet ..

dont know what i pay.. but i have basic service and the interweb package..

if they charged 2 times whatever i pay now i still would not go to DSL ..

ETA

I see the prces have droped for DSL ,,, to about 19.99 for the 1.5 m package.. i am tempted sometimes.. but i have have had it before and never again..

i am not staying with comcats for the price im staying fo rthe speed and IF something goes wrong.. < only happened once > they had someone out there in 3 days >

DSL on the other denied anything weas wrong and wanted to CHARGE to send a tech guy out there.. ..  that and everytime i called i got india.

19.99 is tempting.. but i dont like them so .. comcast gets my money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I have DISH now and really like it, BUT,  i just got a HD TV and I don't want to spend the 500.00 or so to buy the DISH DVR receiver. I'm looking into Comcast, but their monthly price is more than DISH for  the same stuff.  
Pay now or Pay later?  

Why buy it???? RENT IT!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top