Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2010 8:02:59 PM EDT
I've always had cable, but today I get my bill and it went up $40/month. I have pretty much hte min cable with fast internet.

It was $82.80/month, and now is $117.69/mon which is unacceptable for the package I have.

So here's what I'm thinking, I need to make a switch. Cable and net, I guess I'll have to for the first time in my life, at 31 get a land line phone to use this all properly but so be it I guess.

So which company do I need to go with here? Suggestions, problems or experiences ?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have direc TV right now and I hate them Go dish I had them before and their prices are better right now, and Free HD for life.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
happy with dish

have to use Time Warner road runner for net

Use magic jack for a house phone (kids use it to chat with friends).

We also have cell phones
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#3]
people here don't like Dish.

poor reception and the standard channels are a bunch of garbage like shopping networks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting DirecTV this Wednesday after my Dish Network contract ends. The premier package with all the movie channels + some NFL package. First 5 months is 65/month (tax not included). Then it goes up to about 125/month for the remaining 19 months. I saving a a few bucks over Dish Network and I'm getting more features and channels.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Dish and I have not been happy with it. Had dvr replaced once and dish aligned twice (low signal strength). A friend had Direct TV installed about the same time. Picture quality was so much better. (I have a 52" Samsung, she has a 52" Sony)  I will be switching to Direct as soon as i can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:40:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Call the cable company and say you are thinking about switching and see if they can give you a better price...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Guess location makes a differance.

We had dish for a little over a year.

We have 3 dvrs never had a problem with anything except when a storm come thru. We will lose the signal 75% of the time

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
DirecTV has been notorious for placing erroneous charges on my bill or signing me up for subscription packages that I did not order, then it turns into a nighmare to get the charges reversed.

I do like their product, but if you have a problem with your account be prepared for a fight. They will try to hold onto your funds and credit your account, which is unacceptable to me. I am tempted to switch to Dish but people don't seem to be happy with them either.  I advise heavily against automatic billing to your credit card from DirecTV.

If FIOS or U-Verse ever comes to my area, I will sign up for them and never look back.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If FIOS or U-Verse ever comes to my area, I will sign up for them and never look back.

ain't no deals there man.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:53:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Direct sucks less than Dish.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Call the cable company and say you are thinking about switching and see if they can give you a better price...

I'm going to try that.

However looking at what directV is offering like free DVR and all.. Seems like they'll be hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ain't no deals there man.

There is always the alternative of just cutting it all out and it is tempting.

People who I know that have signed up for U-Verse or FIOS have been happy with both the price and service, with no contracts.  Any details from what you have seen?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I dumped directTv after Katrina.  They wanted $80 bucks to adjust the dish after the storm.  I mailed them their shit back and switched back to regular cable.  Haven't been sorry either, most the stuff I watched is on regular cable, and it is cheaper monthly.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#14]

dish

free HD and HD dvr

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

dish

free HD and HD dvr

And free HBO/Showtime for a few months
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#16]

I've had Directv for 15 years or so, and I don't plan on changing.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I love Directv, I tried to switch to cable once to save money and I ended up calling Directv back out three days later to put the service back in.

I don;t get the 80 dollar adjustment, why call anyone when you can easily do it yourself.

AND

speaking of Katrina, I live in Florida and have been through several hurricanes and the cable goes away with the power, I can and have run Directv off my generator.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:37:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

poor reception and the standard channels are a bunch of garbage like shopping networks

My neighbor had Dish and grew to hate it. EVERY show she started to like (on her package) was quickly moved to a higher-cost package. The service sucked; 2-3 times a month she'd lose reception. And of course, as soon as she decided to terminate the service, they socked her with a termination fee that was equal to the amount she'd pay to keep the service through the end of the contract.

She hates Dish with a passion.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:18:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I would like high speed net if it ever comes my way into the woods here but dish and direct are nightmare companies to even begin fucking with.My mil had both and they overbilled,gave credits when refunds were asked would not send a box to send the shit back,she being near 80 years old was confused by all the tech shit,bad service from both,suck programming ect.She now like me is over the air with six channels.No chance of cable either looks like plus I will pay ATT the $15-$20 a month for high speed if ever can but fuck paying for tv at all to see all the stupid made up channels with shopping,cooking ect.Been a real blessing since the eared one sucked his way into the white house anyway,lees I see and hear of him and the wookie I am happier
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have had both.  I liked Dish pretty well––good assortment of programming for the money.  Their DVR was simple but worked.

Love the DirectTV Tivo receiver I have now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I guess I'll have to for the first time in my life, at 31 get a land line phone to use this all properly but so be it I guess.

Land line is not absolutely required.  It is only used to order movies and such from the remote.  Same thing can be done from their internet site.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:30:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I loved Dish when I had them for a year.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#23]
I've had Directv for 15 years or so, and I plan on changing.

Last 2 years getting feed up with bad reception and their unwillingness to match what they offer to new customers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top