Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 4/13/2006 9:11:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 12:22:52 PM EDT by dalesimpson]
Is there a definitive set of rules for dinner pics, or are they "unwritten"? From my understanding there are a few "must haves" in a dinner pic.

knife
stapler
measuring device
alcoholic beverage
firearm
meat

What are the other "must haves" in a dinner pic? It seems that there are people who think that you don't need all the stuff listed. I am sure that what I have is absolutely a partial list. I would like to see a tacked thread with definitive dinner pic rules by which all can be judged.
Please add or subtract items in my list.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:13:48 AM EDT
1. Have a take.

2. Don't suck.

....wait, those are different rules.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:16:39 AM EDT
1. Food
2. Guns
3. Good presentation
4. Beer is strongly encouraged

all the rest is unnecessary clutter IMO
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:17:26 AM EDT
I believe one of the rules was having at least one reload/spare mag/etc...

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:19:33 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
1. Food
2. Guns
3. Good presentation

Well, your opinion is relatively fresh here on AR15.com. There were dinner pics posted long before you got here and they will continue to be posted long after you are gone. I am a lot more interested in what the "old timers" have to say about the rules. You can't just walk in here with your 10,000 posts per day and start changing rules, so I guess it isn't your opinion I am seeking. After all, you are the reason I started this thread.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:20:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Is there a definitive set of rules for dinner pics, or are they "unwritten"? From my understanding there are a few "must haves" in a dinner pic.

knife
stapler
measuring device
alcoholic beverage
firearm
meat
All of Bama-Shooter's pics must include the Mrs

What are the other "must haves" in a dinner pic? It seems that there are people who think that you don't need all the stuff listed. I am sure that what I have is absolutely a partial list. I would like to see a tacked thread with definitive dinner pic rules by which all can be judged.

Fixed
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:22:18 AM EDT

knife
stapler
measuring device
alcoholic beverage
firearm

meat

always a good idea
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:23:44 AM EDT
i've searched the archives and have yet to find the thread that established the "official" dinner pic rules. every DP thread i have seen includes the same old debate of what should be in it. i think we need to formally establish it, and then tack the thread.

IMO presentation is the biggest part. food is automatic, as are guns (at least they better be) if you can squeeze in other shit without the pic looking cluttered, go for it, but WTF do you need a stapler, measuring tape, duct tape, 3 different magazines (paper magazines), 2 DVDs, 4 knives, and a VHS tape? Food+guns is all that is necessary
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:24:01 AM EDT
I guess im a simpleton. My criteria for a quality dinner pic include only the following

1)Meal (game gets a bonus half point)
2) Some type of beverage (Beer get a bonus half point, a good craft beer gets a full bonus point)
3) Sidearm
4)Rifle or Carbine
5)Knife
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:29:17 AM EDT

i've searched the archives and have yet to find the thread that established the "official" dinner pic rules. every DP thread i have seen includes the same old debate of what should be in it. i think we need to formally establish it, and then tack the thread.
IMO presentation is the biggest part. food is automatic, as are guns (at least they better be) if you can squeeze in other shit without the pic looking cluttered, go for it, but WTF do you need a stapler, measuring tape, duct tape, 3 different magazines (paper magazines), 2 DVDs, 4 knives, and a VHS tape? Food+guns is all that is necessary

Your're thinking too much
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:30:23 AM EDT
The extra stuff is getting kind of stale. You need food and a gun. Period.

Creativity should be encouraged, however. Putting a stapler in the picture because "It's the rules" isn't creative. It's an art, not a science.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:40:09 AM EDT
This is exactly why I posted this. The purists insist that you have all the stuff and sometimes more than I listed in my original post and the simplists just want a meal and a firearm. I am just shooting for clarification. I do not claim to be an expert on dinner pics. If I claimed to be the expert I would have just posted what I thought needed to be in a dinner pic and not solicited other people's opinions. Maybe I need to add a poll.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:40:19 AM EDT
Here's what I'm talking about. Here is a dinner pic I did that followed most of the "rules":

And here's a room service dinner pic that I took while on the road, in Lafayette Indiana:

The second one has less bullshit, and I think it's a better picture. Neither are stellar examples of artistic creativity, though.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:42:46 AM EDT

This is exactly why I posted this. The purists insist that you have all the stuff and sometimes more than I listed in my original post and the simplists just want a meal and a firearm. I am just shooting for clarification. I do not claim to be an expert on dinner pics. If I claimed to be the expert I would have just posted what I thought needed to be in a dinner pic and not solicited other people's opinions. Maybe I need to add a poll.

There are no rules. Regardless of what you post, somebody is going to deduct "points" for something. One guy will say "+1 for the beer" and another will say "-1, because it's Busch". One guy will say "Napkin +1" and another will say "Napkin -1, real men use a sleeve".

It's all subjective, it's all in good fun, and trying to adhere to rules that don't exist is futile. Do something nobody has ever done, and have fun with it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:43:13 AM EDT
My dinner pics are what I've set on the table to take a load off in order to eat after a long day of work. They'd fall short by the board's standards, which is why they haven't been posted, but they are authentic.

USPc 9
Mag
Surefire
K-bar
AK-74 with spare mag
Calculator
tape measure
wire cutters
Food, etc...
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:43:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:
Here's what I'm talking about. Here is a dinner pic I did that followed most of the "rules":

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSC00959-WEB.jpg

And here's a room service dinner pic that I took while on the road, in Lafayette Indiana:

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSCN1038-WEB.JPG

The second one has less bullshit, and I think it's a better picture. Neither are stellar examples of artistic creativity, though.

both are good pics because they are well presented, and do not look cluttered, but again, what part does a tape measure have at dinner? it doesnt add to the meal, or the presentation of the picture.

on a side note: ugh, food and smokes.... no thanks. i like to taste my food.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:44:16 AM EDT
I've only made two dinner pics, and despite the seriousness of the topic, I find great humor in the stupidity of the whole thing. Kind of like watching Scary Movie, Airplane, Spy Hard, etc.

This photo has almost everything...
meat
vegetable
bread
beverage (beer)
bottle opener
knife
handgun w/extra mag
rifle w/extra mag
target
stapler
duct tape
measuring tape
flashlight
dinner music
reading material
hot sauce
time piece
cleaner/lube (CLP in this photo)

and last, but not least...
"pie" (either dessert or photographic representation of beautiful women)

The downside to this photo is that the general consensus is the person puting it together spent too much time and energy to get everything together for the photo.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:45:10 AM EDT
I am not trying to take the fun out of it. I also enjoy a good dinner pic, but I have been known to jab a guy for forgetting the stapler (for holding up your target), and the measuring device (for measuring groups).
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:47:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSC00959-WEB.jpg

alan.strawinski.net/images/guns/DSCN1038-WEB.JPG

both are good pics because they are well presented, and do not look cluttered, but again, what part does a tape measure have at dinner? it doesnt add to the meal, or the presentation of the picture.

on a side note: ugh, food and smokes.... no thanks. i like to taste my food.

I fucked that steak up pretty bad. You would have bummed a smoke off me.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:47:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 9:48:47 AM EDT by cheaptrickfan]
This is another good dinner pic (not mine)

and this one too...

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:50:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 9:50:58 AM EDT by lordtrader]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:50:25 AM EDT

1. Food
2. Guns
3. Good presentation

+1

All though I did like the duct tape added to one.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:50:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2006 9:51:15 AM EDT by TexRdnec]
just remember to take the MRE out of the packaging first. my first dinner pic failed miserably............

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:54:12 AM EDT
Hows this??

Even with a theme!!
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:54:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lordtrader:
MEAL
FIREARM
KNIFE
BEVERAGE extra points on alcoholic beverage category

That's it!!!

Well a hotty chicky snack in the backbround wouldn't be bad.

If I'm not mistaken, you posted the first ARFCOM dinner pic ever. As far as I'm concerned, what you say goes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:55:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
Hows this??

webpages.charter.net/FatMcNasty/PIC00011.JPG

Even with a theme!!

too much heckler and krapola
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 9:57:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
Hows this??

webpages.charter.net/FatMcNasty/PIC00011.JPG

Even with a theme!!

Wow!!! extra points for the zombie book and chainsaw!!!
Top Top