Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2003 7:55:28 AM EDT
Well, I am looking to buyt a vehidle.  I have been driving old piece of shit cars for most of my life and finally have some money where I can buy something nice for myself and the family.

I have been looking for well over 4 weeks and have desided that I will be going the SUV route.  The 3 I have founf that I really like are the Chevy Tahoe, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and the Ford Expedition.

The Ford is by far mine and the families Favorite, it is very large, safe, and has everything we are looking for.  The other 2 are compromises.

Here is the problem.  The Ford will suck on gas mileage...big time.  The other 2 are a little better but only by about 2-3mpg.  That and i have never spent anywhere close to $20k for a used vehicle before.  The FOrd I am looking at has 42,000 miles on it and the "No Haggle" price is $21k.

Is a used truck really worth it??  I guess I am the only one that can answer this but would like you guys input.

SGtar15

PS.  Part of the reason I like the bigger Ford is because I have a serious back injury and feel it will keep me very safe....and everyone in my family is really tall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I voted Tahoe. My only reason is that I expect it has the 350 in it, many less miles & price is better. I have 2 GM trucks. 95 silverado xcab 182,000 miles. Still VERY strong & no probs. 92 suburban. 128,000 miles & the same as the truck. No real experience with the Fords, but would expect similar results.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Why buy used when you can get brand new with a 3 year warrenty along with buyer incentives AND 0% interest??? Look at your monthly payments for a used vs. a new. You may be pleasantly supprised.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Why buy used when you can get brand new with a 3 year warrenty along with buyer incentives AND 0% interest??? Look at your monthly payments for a used vs. a new. You may be pleasantly supprised.

Because new is about $37,000+ while used is $21,000.

And I don't do monthly payments, I will be paying cash.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Those aren't trucks
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:29:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Id go with the ford. The jeeps are ok but they seems to have alot of piddly things like elictrical components go bad. Id stay away from GM. GM V8's are notorious to go bad after 130,000. The crankshafts eat into main caps. Also I heard GM uses child labor on most if not all there seating materials. If thats not bad enough GM actually has secret camp compounds set up so the children never even leave the work sight and work 16 hour shifts. But this is just what IVe heard.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I vote Tahoe, I dont know if its a good price or not. I am sure you have checked on line.

I have a 95 Chevy 2500 Suburban with a 5.7.
Its a huge truck I would rather have the tahoe.
Gas and size are the main reasons.

I have never like jeeps and the ford is as big or bigger than my sub.

Here are some Sub link. Tahoes and Suburbans are almost the same

http://subtopics.freeyellow.com/subtopics.htm

http://forums.vmag.com/suvsuburban0103/

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:40:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Tahoe
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Check your garage door height before you buy - I almost bought an Expedition last spring.  The deal was off when I found out my garage doors wouldn't open enough to pull the vehicle in...and even at that, the opening to the garage was only 6'6" feet high, and the Expedition was 6' 5-7/8" tall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Toyota gets my vote...I sold the POS Ford.  You have been warned.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]
out of those, i voted tahoe.....but i would wait for a good deal on a new 2003
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:11:54 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Because new is about $37,000+ while used is $21,000.

And I don't do monthly payments, I will be paying cash.

Sgtar15

Hot Damn!  Good man!  There is hope for America yet.

P.S. Debt gives me hives.

P.S.S I voted for the Chevy.  I have a ‘02 Suburban and love it.  Warning; some early 90's Chevy trucks were absolutely gut-less.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd seriously consider a Toyota. They are very well made. I think the Expedition is the best choice you have listed. We took a 2002 Expedition and a 2002 Ford F-150 crew cab 4X4 out to South Dakota.  They both averaged about 15 mpg, depending on the gas we used.  The best was 17 mpg and the worst was 11.  We were not driving conservatively.  They both rode very well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top