Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/24/2005 2:05:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/24/2005 2:05:58 PM EDT by brushdog]
I'm tapping the ARFcom collective mind to help me decide on which new digital camera to get. My current one is a Canon S100 that is almost 5 years old and a bit dated. I use it mainly for taking pictures of the family and the occasional trip to work or other outdoor activities.

I want to have at least 4 megapixels and 10x optical zoom. I don't want to deal with rechargeable batteries anymore because they always seem to fail at the wrong time.

My ideal price range is $300-500 for the camera and I can pick up the accesories later.

Here are a couple that I've looked at.
Fuji

Kodak
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:33:53 PM EDT
Take a wander over to www.cnet.com those folks will review anything and everything electronic. The nice things are that the editors will do one review. Users will do another review. And they will give you lowest to highest prices availible on the internet.

HTH

Sgt Bingham
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:47:20 PM EDT
Fuji S5100 is a good camera. I have it's predecessor the S5000. Takes beautiful pics and is fairly well featured. Good price for the amount and quality of lens.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:04:22 PM EDT
thanks for the input and links guys. It looks like both are good cameras and decently priced.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:40:18 PM EDT
canon S2 IS

12x optical zoom with image stabilization
5mp
30fps video with ability to snap a 5mp photo while recording video
swivel screen
AA batteries, I highly recommend NiMH rechargable AA batteries.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:06:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By freeride21a:
canon S2 IS

5mp
swivel screen

I like the canon because it has the image stablizer. I also like this Sony for the same reason.
Sony DSC-H1

Where's a safe place to order from that has good prices on them?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:20:46 PM EDT
I also like the 5100 and will buy it if I can find a good price (near $250 new). Best Buy however sucks donkey sausage.

Dell has had some great deals on many of the Canon models. I am reconsidering those now.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:24:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By freeride21a:
canon S2 IS

5mp
swivel screen

This one is currently number one on my consideration list after a lot of research.

I'm holding off until Panasonic releases the DMC-FZ30 and I see a couple of real world reviews. Spec wise it's just about *exactly* what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:33:05 PM EDT
I am a Canon and Minolta guy. Minolta makes nice P&S's, but I don't remember the price off the top of my head. I would go with the S2 IS like stated above. For the best prices and service goto www.bhphotovideo.com
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:42:02 PM EDT
That Fuji is one great camera. One of the most functional non-SLR's on the market.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:52:44 PM EDT
Be sure to check out Panasonic's offerings... I have Canon DSLRs and big expensive lenses, but it is my Panasonic FZ20, with it's optical stablization, reasonably compact size, great 12x zoom lens, and very good image quality, that goes with me on most vacations and other family activities.

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:13:37 PM EDT
If you dont mind spening a little more, you can get a CANON rebel XT with 18-55mm lens for $739 shipped.

I dont think you can get anything better then that. 8.0megs.

Currnetly one of the best out there. You really would not need a new one for several years.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:59:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
If you dont mind spening a little more, you can get a CANON rebel XT with 18-55mm lens for $739 shipped.

I dont think you can get anything better then that. 8.0megs.

Currnetly one of the best out there. You really would not need a new one for several years.

He wants more zoom than an 18-55, so that will add to the cost. Of course, that's one great thing about a DSLR... lens flexibility. But on the other hand, I prefer to tote around the Panasonic instead of the 20D and several massive lenses for most non-work stuff. Some people don't want to deal with swapping lenses.

The Panasonic gives me, IIRC, a ~35-430 (in 35mm camera equivilent) lens that is f2.8 throughout the entire range.

--Mike
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:06:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 4:07:11 PM EDT by kickmyllama]
If you buy a Sony I think you are forced to use their memory cards.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:26:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/25/2005 4:29:25 PM EDT by nightstalker]

Originally Posted By mcaswell:
Be sure to check out Panasonic's offerings... I have Canon DSLRs and big expensive lenses, but it is my Panasonic FZ20, with it's optical stablization, reasonably compact size, great 12x zoom lens, and very good image quality, that goes with me on most vacations and other family activities.

--Mike

+1

lots of positives, and few negatives. $500 street price.

ETA Lithium Ion batteries, much better than nicads IMHO
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:35:23 PM EDT
I have a sony cybershot 5 megapixel camera with a carl zeiss lens. I can't say enough about how lens quality will make all the difference in the quality of your photos. With digital cameras, you'll want at least to cross the 5 megapixel threshold. Once your past that, you're very close to the quality of a 35mm camera. I would shop around for a while and read a lot of reviews. One website that was paramount to my decision was this...

www.dpreview.com/

They have extensive reviews and sample photos from almost every digital camera out there.

Also, look into getting a good photo editing program. I use photoshop to asssist with my digital photos. You should be able to get quality shots without editing them, but it never hurts to do minor color correction, or adjust the brightness levels to suite your needs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:01:24 PM EDT
Thanks for the help guys.

I looked around locally for a Panasonic FZ20, but couldn't find one. I decided to go with the Sony DSC-H1 Cybershot. I picked up a 512 memory stick and the rechargeable batteries. It already came with the lens adapter and battery charger. My wife made me buy the extended warranty from Best Buy.

Top Top