Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Posted: 4/24/2013 6:09:39 AM EDT
My wife has a Nook. I generally don't read for pleasure all too often. But I was thinking of getting a book I've been wanting to read for time now. I could buy it on the Nook or make the trip to the store. Maybe I'm old school but if I am gonna drop the money on something I usually like the physical copy over the digital only.

Only thing I'm not super hardcore on is music, those I do download and the. Buy physical copies of albums I really like...

Am I alone in this thinking with everything digital and at our fingertips?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:13:04 AM EDT
I prefer paper books.  Much easier to flip back and forth to reference data.  I'm talking about service and technical manuals, I don't really read that much for pleasure.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:13:55 AM EDT
When I buy something like that I want a physical copy. No electricity needed and it can sit on the shelf long after you are gone.
Physical= real
Digital = pretend
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:14:51 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Glittenstein:
When I buy something like that I want a physical copy. No electricity needed and it can sit on the shelf long after you are gone.
Physical= real
Digital = pretend

My thinking as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:19:37 AM EDT
I prefer digital nowadays. If it is just going to be one book, then get the paper version if that is your preference. If I am going somewhere for an extended period, vacation or work, I enjoy the ability to have a couple of books and magazines in my handle little Kindle Fire. Of course, I g(okay, just replaced batteries in keyboard midsentence)o ahead and load some games on the KF also for when I am really bored and don't want to read.

Additionally, I prefer pdfs for my technical manuals as well, so this is an added bonus. Though the KF screen is a bit small for this purpose, it is worth a shot before lugging out a 500 page schematic and manual or firing up the laptop.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:21:58 AM EDT
Digital, because I can increase the font size on my Kindle so I don't have to wear my reading glasses. I can also sync the page I'm on with my phone, so if I'm ever stuck somewhere with time to kill I can just pull my phone out and continue reading my latest book. It also allows me to carry my entire library in my pocket, which is pretty cool.

Also, if I'm up in the middle of the night and decide I want a new book to read I can purchase it and start reading it on my Kindle in a matter of seconds. If I wanted the physical version I'd either have to wait for the bookstores to open and then drive there and back, or order it online and wait a few days for it.

The only physical book I still own is my Bible, because with a book that I'm constantly flipping back and forth in, instead of just reading once front to back, I still find the physical version to be better.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:23:43 AM EDT
I prefer physical but the price difference is forcing me in the other direction
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:24:41 AM EDT
For Technical type books I prefer paper as these are things I pull out and reuse often. For novels I prefer digital so it doesn't take up space.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:27:39 AM EDT
Sadly, I read much faster, and more often with an e-book on my iPad than paper. I'm beginning to prefer that over paper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:28:16 AM EDT
Paper its doesn't feel right reading a book on the computer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:28:59 AM EDT
I love books......not screens.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:29:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BillyDoubleU:
Physical= real
Digital = pretend

My thinking as well.

I always love this. Please, dear god, explain how it is pretend? Is the internet a passing fad? Is electricity going to go away somehow?

Is the knowledge of how to make electricity going to go away if TSHTF? Are the words you are reading and the posts you are making on Arf pretend also?

I have currently 510 books on my phone, over 2000 on my computer, and all stored where I can access them from anywhere on other devices.

Entire family can use them too. My daughter and I read the same books and discuss them. Good way to have some quality time.

Luddites.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:29:18 AM EDT
I'd never go back to paper back novels after having a kindle.  Superior in way too many ways.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:31:38 AM EDT
Paper, I stuck at noticing battery charges. Plus loaded bookshelves add a decorative touch to my office / computer room
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:32:26 AM EDT
I prefer physical books.  Hardcover over paperback.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:32:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pen:
Physical= real
Digital = pretend

My thinking as well.

I always love this. Please, dear god, explain how it is pretend? Is the internet a passing fad? Is electricity going to go away somehow?

Is the knowledge of how to make electricity going to go away if TSHTF? Are the words you are reading and the posts you are making on Arf pretend also?

I have currently 510 books on my phone, over 2000 on my computer, and all stored where I can access them from anywhere on other devices.

Entire family can use them too. My daughter and I read the same books and discuss them. Good way to have some quality time.

Luddites.

You don't have books on on your phone....you have files.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:35:10 AM EDT
My wife has a Nook. I generally don't read for pleasure all too often. But I was thinking of getting a book I've been wanting to read for time now. I could buy it on the Nook or make the trip to the store. Maybe I'm old school but if I am gonna drop the money on something I usually like the physical copy over the digital only.

Only thing I'm not super hardcore on is music, those I do download and the. Buy physical copies of albums I really like...

Am I alone in this thinking with everything digital and at our fingertips?

both. I prefer a book...but a digital copy has its place as well. I usually get both and can take the digital copies with me instead of the books (family gatherings, vacation, hunting trips, business trips...etc.)

What I don't like is digital copies and no books....but that is starting to be the norm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:36:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By StonerStudent:
Physical= real
Digital = pretend

My thinking as well.

Luddites.

Oh, I'm sorry, did the plot, words and chapters become something I cant read anymore? Is it not a book because it is in a different format?

Is a picture different because it is in electronic format? Oh, look it's not a picture because i can't hold it in my hand.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:37:49 AM EDT
Digital.  Better portability, never gets destroyed, highlight, copy, share, better bookmarking than dog-earing a page, find function, backlight ...
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:38:46 AM EDT
I prefer real books, but download digital.  I love to read and have boxes of books, so for me, unless I know it is a book I will want to keep or mark in, downloading, eapecially for pleasure reading, is the way to go.  Makes hubby happier too because less books around!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:38:47 AM EDT
Physical. No question.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:41:05 AM EDT
I've used both. For fiction, I don't mind using an ipad or kindle. For non-fiction, which I mostly read, i like to take a lot of notes, so I prefer the paper version. Plus, the paper versions look better on a shelf.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:42:28 AM EDT
Physical= real
Digital = pretend

My thinking as well.

Luddites.

Oh, I'm sorry, did the plot, words and chapters become something I cant read anymore? Is it not a book because it is in a different format?

Is a picture different because it is in electronic format? Oh, look it's not a picture because i can't hold it in my hand.  

Ok.....I'm a geezer. I just can't read Jane's Infantry weapons on a Kindle. I do see the advantage of it when It comes to novels that I will only read once or twice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:43:30 AM EDT
Books.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:46:04 AM EDT
Ok.....I'm a geezer. I just can't read Jane's Infantry weapons on a Kindle. I do see the advantage of it when It comes to novels that I will only read once or twice.

I am older than you.

You can zoom in on the pictures.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:36:32 AM EDT
They're not mutually exclusive, I have plenty of both. There are too many cheap/free/public domaine books to ignore electronic media.

Some types of books lend themselves to electromic media better, some need to be in dead tree form. I have some in both.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:42:04 AM EDT
I prefer physical books to digital.

I'm tactile (not to be confused with "tactical") and like the feel of old books (I don't read much modern stuff).  And we have frequent power outages, a book and a candle or flashlight and I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:43:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2013 8:43:31 AM EDT by Pellinore]
Depends, but for school i think i prefer digital due to the portability, fast accessibility and the ctrl F feature to quickly find shit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 8:46:42 AM EDT
I've got over 900 books and stories on my Kindle.

I didn't pay a cent for any of them (legal).

The device weights about 6 oz.

It automatically keeps track of the books I am reading currently, and moves them up to the top of the list.

It keeps track of where I am in every book, perfectly.

It has a dictionary that gives me the definition of almost any word, instantly.

It has also give me biographical sketches of most famous people when selecting their name, instantly.

I can download library books from my computer, and they are returned automatically.

Digital all the way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:23:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2013 9:24:58 AM EDT by Okay]
The best thing about pretend books is the pretend amount of space they take up in my pretend closet. Dead tree books, on the other hand, occupy way too much closet space that could be put to better use storing ammo.

The important thing about books is the text, not the paper. Strip the DRM and keep backups. E-books all the way, baby!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:27:46 AM EDT
Physical= real
Digital = pretend

My thinking as well.

Luddites.

Enjoy all of those books quickly before they decide to squeeze another nickel out of everyone and change the format for the next device coming down the pike.
Then you get to buy them all again and tell everyone how many books you have on your next phone.

Hell, you might even get lucky and find someone who will only charge you for a program to convert them.

I just don't picture our descendents handing down a myriad of digital garbage that has either been painstakingly backed up over the years or deleted, or simply left to rot on an old hard drive.
I recently read for the first time "The Last Of The Mohicans ".
Excellent book BTW, and it arrived at my house via a long dead great grandparent.

I am willing to bet that 50 years from now nobody will be interested in reading the digital media of today.

Hovever the last of the mohicans on my shelf will still be there for the next generation.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:31:41 AM EDT
I have a whole room full of bookcases already, I've had to move all my books half a dozen times. If I could get all my books on my kindle and never move them again it would make me very happy.

I like the original kindle, reading for pleasure on a regular screen isn't very enjoyable but I like the kindle screen.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:32:29 AM EDT
I like to have both. I prefer reading on iPad in bed though. No light needed stands up easily.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:34:37 AM EDT
Physical books are harder to scrub.

e-books = zero-confidence as to accuracy of content

(down the road, this will matter - see F451)
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:39:12 AM EDT
I do both.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:44:52 AM EDT
I will buy a digital copy first (they are cheaper, and E-readers ROCK!), and if I like it enough to deem it worthy of adding to the dead tree library, I will buy a physical copy for the bookshelves.  My library has been pruned over the years, and these days, there are so few books coming out that are worth owning a physical copy of, that it is silly not to have a $70 E-reader, not to mention the convenience of being able to take 200 books with you on vacation, in a package the weighs less then 8 oz and has a 2 week battery life.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:47:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BKC1869:
For Technical type books I prefer paper as these are things I pull out and reuse often. For novels I prefer digital so it doesn't take up space.

+1 plus I'm on my IPad for work all the time already. I find myself getting in a quick chapter or two during the day. Since I started reading E-books for pleasure I find I read a lot more then I used to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:51:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2013 9:52:18 AM EDT by dorobuta]
This.
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:
Sadly, I read much faster, and more often with an e-book on my iPad than paper. I'm beginning to prefer that over paper.

For a buck, I got all of HP Lovecraft's books in digital form. Not a bad deal.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:52:16 AM EDT
used to love paper books but my kindle has replaced most of them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:54:18 AM EDT
I have a ton of physical books... But I am seeing a point where I wouldn't mind having fewer hard books and more digital ones.

One day I'll have an iPad or something similar and start reading books on it. I've tried reading books on my phone, ugh.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:54:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dorobuta:
This.
Originally Posted By Rugerlvr:

For a buck, I got all of HP Lovecraft's books in digital form. Not a bad deal.

That's actually available for free.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:57:10 AM EDT
Hardcover for the man cave library

PDF for TMs . Much easier to search
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:04:25 AM EDT
Digital for fiction and most histories. Always paper for reference books.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:15:43 AM EDT
I can read "virtually" anywhere and anytime with my iPhone/iPad Kindle app.

Standing it up and reading with on handed finger swipes makes reading while eating lunch pretty easy.

That said, I have mountains of books too and keep one or two in my gear bag at all times.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:23:00 AM EDT
If you read a ton I can see the savings in a digital format. I spent an extra $13 for a hard cover at B&N.
Top Top