Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2001 5:41:24 PM EDT
How can a person determine wheter a Colt lower is a large pin vs a small pin lower?  Preferably by sight without complex testing(hehe).
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That's actually a good question, Biggun.  Most of us here (especially myself, since that's what I own) go by the standard that any post-ban Colt (Match Target, MT HBAR, MT Competition, etc) uses non-standard, i.e. LARGE pins.

To tell by the eye is very hard, unless you visibly put your Colt next to, say, a Bushmaster - and see that the Colt's trigger
pins are [i]slightly[/i] bigger.  As far as takedown pins go, I believe that Colt has now gone back to the standard sized front and rear pins (I believe it used to be that one was smaller than the other, and needed some kind of bushing to attach to a mil-spec upper - somebody correct me if I'm wrong please).

If you have a new Colt, and you're worried about attaching a different upper receiver to it, then it shouldn't be a problem.  The big fuss recently has been that some aftermarket 2-stage triggers and such don't fit well with the non-standard pins, and need gunsmithing to work (instead of the typical do-it-yourself).  This is the basic idea, somebody else will probably give you a timeline of what was changed (due to Colt wanting to make Washington happy) and when.

But this is a start.
Jewbroni~
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I was looking at a pre ban Colt and I got to wondering if my extra parts such as pins triggers etc would work or not.  If the prebans are supposed to have small pins that is what it probably has.  Thanks guys
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top