Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 1:25:58 AM EDT
Anyone have good recommendations for diesel generators?

I want back up power for several racks of servers in my home that are powered through 220v ups systems right now. Right now I run 2 full racks and I am looking to go to 5 racks.

The main issue I have hosting as many machines as I do is if the power goes out for a extended period of time, so I think I'm ready to purchase a pretty big generator system if I can figure out what I need for a reasonable price, but I've never worked with generators before.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:34:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Sound like you will need something mounted on a concrete pad set to automatically fire up when the power goes out.

It's not cheap..but these are nice to have...

http://www.cumminspower.com/en/

http://www.liebert.com/product_pages/MainCategory.aspx?id=2
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
http://cgi.ebay.com/Isuzu-12-kW-Diesel-Generator-enclosed_W0QQitemZ160322174706QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Generators?hash=item2553f23ef2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have not used this myself, however, I did install one. It seemed to be a nice machine.

You can find Isuzu powered diesel gensets on Ebay for a decent price. Also, there are some serious Mitsubishi powered ones (30,000 watt) for under 10K.

I went a different route and built myself a SHTF generator (however, I do have a couple of decent commercial portables). Here is a pic of my homemade Lister 11K genset. It will run on anything and produce power. I generally use waste motor oil and waste jet fuel as a fuel.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Isuzu-12-kW-Diesel-Generator-enclosed_W0QQitemZ160322174706QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Generators?hash=item2553f23ef2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I have not used this myself, however, I did install one. It seemed to be a nice machine.

You can find Isuzu powered diesel gensets on Ebay for a decent price. Also, there are some serious Mitsubishi powered ones (30,000 watt) for under 10K.

I went a different route and built myself a SHTF generator (however, I do have a couple of decent commercial portables). Here is a pic of my homemade Lister 11K genset. It will run on anything and produce power. I generally use waste motor oil and waste jet fuel as a fuel.

http://www.cujet.com/assets/images/finished_resized.jpg

Nice set up cujet. Where did you buy all the stuff or did you just buy a complete working unit? I've heard the Lister engines will run forever. Very easy to fix also.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:14:50 AM EDT
[#4]
 Is a couple of hours all you need? How about noise? I have bought a couple units that came out of a rental fleet. !0,000 hours on units but they have little Yanmar diesels. Those things are pretty much bullet proof. Also have aux fuel tank so you can get 24 hour run time. Really quiet. 15kw. You can grab them for around 4K around here. This is not an uncommon spec for rental houses. If it would suit your needs, go get your name on the list. Around here there is usually a line.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:45:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Really need to know what the power demand is first.      I just installed a 50kw diesel Generac with an outdoor transfer switch a few weeks ago.  Probably way bigger than you need.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a 20KW Wacker. It got flooded under 7 feet of water and it looks like it will only cost $1K to fix it. I would highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:30:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you do.

NEVER GET A LOMBARDINI.

Biggest fucking turd I've ever had to use.  I hate it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:36:29 AM EDT
[#8]
You need a generator and an automatic transfer switch.  Don't forget that you also need to back up your air conditioning with that generator.  Having power to run servers doesn't mean anything if they can't be kept cool.

Figure out what you are drawing now with your 2 racks, think about your expansion plans, how increasing density might change those factors, and arrive at an estimate for your 3-5 year growth.  That's your starting point for genset sizing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't own a diesel, as I decided to go the gas route for my application.  However I did a bunch of research and learned one important thing about diesel.  To get 60Hz, it will run at either 3600 RPM or 1800 RPM.  You definitely want one of the 1800 RPM rigs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:44:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Whatever you do.

NEVER GET A LOMBARDINI.

Biggest fucking turd I've ever had to use.  I hate it.

I can second that US Jetting went to Lombardini as the power for our truck mounted jetting pumps ––what pieces of dog crap. They formerly used Hatz/Deutz diesels which ran and ran and ran no matter what we did to them ––NO  maintenance, plugged up filters, crappy fuel dead of winter thru summer they start/run/make power. The Lombardinis crap out if you turn the key too hard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Nice set up cujet. Where did you buy all the stuff or did you just buy a complete working unit? I've heard the Lister engines will run forever. Very easy to fix also.

Thanks.

I built it myself. I ordered the engines from India, took them apart and blueprinted them. Below is a pic of us taking the engines apart right after getting them. I am the one actually working on them. My buddies just come around to watch.

Here is a pic of a single. This, in my opinion is the ideal lister diesel. It runs slow, is quiet, uses very little fuel and is cool as hell. Here I am balancing the engine to get the vibration under control. They hop around like crazy without proper balancing. It took about 7 pounds of lead per flywheel to get it right.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:04:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Diesel fuel needs to be kept fresh, and treated with algaecide if you are storing it.

Are you sure that you don't want to go with a propane standby generator?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

I built it myself. I ordered the engines from India, took them apart and blueprinted them. Below is a pic of us taking the engines apart right after getting them. I am the one actually working on them. My buddies just come around to watch.

http://www.cujet.com/assets/images/lister_resize.jpg

Here is a pic of a single. This, in my opinion is the ideal lister diesel. It runs slow, is quiet, uses very little fuel and is cool as hell. Here I am balancing the engine to get the vibration under control. They hop around like crazy without proper balancing. It took about 7 pounds of lead per flywheel to get it right.

http://www.f1-rocketboy.com/DSC01511.JPG

Sorry for all the questions

Who did you order the engines through? Cost? Where did you get the generator head? What RPM does the engine run at? This is really the setup I have been contemplating although I also have ny eye on a 12kw Isusu diesel. TIA zeekh
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:17:49 AM EDT
[#15]
As an aside try your local craigslist under "business" over time i have seen several commercial back up units for sale this ones kinda large but......
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bfs/1380689680.html
some of the smaller units are out there when somebody goes out of business and liquidates. try the industrial surplus dealers route also.
A few years ago the power co had to drop power to our building for two days to reroute power for construction they brought in a wheeled,enclosed diesel generator in and set it up at our meter pan our whole building ran off it for two days its was like a "BGS" or something like that thats all I can remember about it. You might also see who rents larger generators in your area and see what they use. Also possibly they sell off older equipment once in a while.

Nice price ––set up to run on propane
onan commercial backup genset
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:32:50 AM EDT
[#16]
For residential backup power, these are about the best deal going.  The link is there to show you what they are, not advocating a purchase from this (or any other) seller.

Anyhow, the railroads are updating their reefer cars and these are the takeouts.  Quiet (1200 rpm sets), lots of copper, and designed to run 30k+ hours between overhauls.  For what they are, they are cheap to feed and overhaul parts are available pretty much worldwide.  

You will need switchgear and an autostart circuit if you choose to go down this path, but you will need them for any of the commercial gensets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For residential backup power, these are about the best deal going.  The link is there to show you what they are, not advocating a purchase from this (or any other) seller.

Anyhow, the railroads are updating their reefer cars and these are the takeouts.  Quiet (1200 rpm sets), lots of copper, and designed to run 30k+ hours between overhauls.  For what they are, they are cheap to feed and overhaul parts are available pretty much worldwide.  

You will need switchgear and an autostart circuit if you choose to go down this path, but you will need them for any of the commercial gensets.

I like the 1200 RPM and construction.... but 2200 pounds!  Wow!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Diesel fuel needs to be kept fresh, and treated with algaecide if you are storing it.

Exactly my thoughts.
5sub
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#19]
My previous employer used 10 KW Isuzu diesel gen sets for mobile use in a harsh environment. They held up well and worked great. Used 12/7 every night for light plants. Quiet too. For their stationary UPS backup and regular standby power, they used propane units like you see at Home Depot. In cold weather (You are in Idaho?) there were fueling problems at times with undersized propane sources freezing up. Propane is great, but don't skimp on the storage tank size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top