Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2004 7:06:19 PM EDT
When I was 14 I saved for ever to buy a Specialized Rock Hopper Mountain Bike. I went into a sporting goods store for 5 min, came back out and it was gone, I only had it for about a week. That was ten years and I still would like to meet the person who did it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
No, never happened.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
oops! sorry man i could'nt resist, man that thing was SWEET!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I had two stolen when I was a kid...

1. dirt bike... outside sporting goods store

2. road race bike, stolen from patio in the back of the house.

I have an idea on who stole #2, but I done forgot about it till ya mentioned it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The 1st time I ever rode in a police car was riding around looking for the bike thief that just stole my bike, 2nd time is another story
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, I had a Specialized  MB stolen from my barracks on Ft. Hood- right in front of my room!!  Clipped the lock and gone!  Ahhh  the good old days...

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Yup.Couple of times. Once I was in school and left it in the basement of an office building , locked. Gone when I came back.Never saw that one again.
Second time,a relative borrowed it and didn't secure it properly; it was gone the next morning. I actually caught the guy riding it around town a couple of days later and got it back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
My first 10 speed schwinn, only had it for a week and was stolen from my friends
drive way. It was a yellow one that my parents bought me. I replaced it with
a brown one I purchased

GM
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#9]
No, I usually broke them long before anyone had a chance to steal them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]

My cousin took an old bike with her to college. It wasn't beatup, but well used. Someone cut the lock and took the bike while she was in the library. Cops recovered the bike about 2 weeks later. The thief had replaced the brakes, chain, tires and seat. He had given it a complete tuneup, truing the wheels, greasing the hubs, etc. Best ending to a bike theft story I've heard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Had my sons bike stolen about 10 yrs ago.  Found the little scumbag that took it walking down the street with it about a 1/4 mile away.  He dropped it and took off running when we pulled up in my truck.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Yah...and I'm still looking for the bastard.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:06:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Schwinn Le Tour.  Damn good bike for getting around college.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:08:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Never happened to me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Back when my husband was in high school (obviously we were not yet married) his bike was stolen out of my front yard. It was pretty expensive and had been stolen once before. This time he did not get it back though.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#16]
yup mine did,  the guy was a real close friend of mine so I thought, now he's a SEAL.
go figuare.

Wolf
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#17]
yes, twice but they were inexpensive bikes less than $50 each and they were not locked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#18]
When I was 10 years old some asshole stole my Schwinn Apple Krate Sting Ray.   Never seen it again
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a new Huffy sting-ray style bike for my 8th birthday (too poor to afford a Schwinn).
I went to the grocery store to read comics and a couple of low lifes xxxxxxxicans stole it.
I called my dad up at home, he came and picked me up.
I got in trouble for not locking it up.

The next day the next door neighbor (who was a senior high school football player) caught one of them riding around on my bike. He knew it was my bike by the stickers.
He caught the guy and kicked the living dog-shit out of him, then got my bike back.
He dropped it off at the house with my mom, but she freaked when she saw the blood all over it.
I had to wait for my dad to get home to wash the blood off before I got it back.

My dad gave my neighbor $30 for his "trouble".

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Why did you let your nice Specialized Rockhopper get stolen in the first place. ?  I didn't tell you to get it stolen.

I've had my  $1,000+ Ritchey Ultra mtn. bike for over 7 years now and it has never been stolen.  
Why?  I only ride it when I don't plan on making any stops to shop at a store.  Even if I had one of those kryptonite locks, I still wouldn't want to park and lock my bike b/c someone might just walk by and ding my nice bike.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:15:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:09:17 AM EDT
[#22]
My wife bought me a rather nice DiamondBack mountain bike two years ago for my birthday.  One night I left for work at about 2030 hours, and left the garage door open.  When she got home at 2200 hours, the bike was gone.

I spent several weeks driving around town looking at every person I saw on a bike, hoping to find one of the little neighborhood shits riding it around.  I never did find it.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#23]
When I was in high school thieves stole my rear wheel of my green Schwinn Varsity.  Cost me a lot of hard earned $$$ to replace it and get the bike working correctly again.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I never had a bicycle stolen but I did have my motocycle stole when I was 14. I found out who did it a few years later. I confronted the guy and he admitted it. I got a real good piece of his ass on 2 different occasions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Never had a bike stolen...

One of my ex-girlfriends forgot to lock the front wheel to the frame, however, and I lost the front wheel...
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#26]
When I was first stationed in Germany I couldn't afford a car at the time so I bought a bike at the BX. The BX was also all out of bike locks and I couldn't find anything to use as a substitute. My roommate complained when I kept it in our room and the dorm manager said it was a fire hazard to keep it under the stairs (I can't see how, it was UNDER the stairs). So I put it outside for the night and I would have to check the BX everyday for bike locks, but it was stolen after one night outside.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a 3-wheeler stolen from me on Christmas Day (while it was in our storage unit).  Kinda ruined the day...I was...8 at the time.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Like a couple days before I moved out of the dorms my freshman year in college, some took my bike - swapped some parts on it (why, I dont know) and then threw it in the trash. I think it might have been some punks in the dorm tryin  to be funny. But it wasnt. Soooo - that sucks. I just left it there - it was a $100 bike from walmart.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:19:37 AM EDT
[#29]
We had 2 Specialized mountain bikes stolen out of an open garage in broad daylight when we were home working around the house.  Never got em back but had all the paper work on the bikes and accessories and insurance nearly covered everything.

I was sitting in a local coffee shop talking to a bike riding friend of mine when he got up and start running to the door.  Couldn't catch up though and lost his $2000+ road bike to some guys in a truck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#30]
I had my quick release seat and post stolen. Makes for a long ride home.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#31]
I had a bike get stolen from my front yard when I was about 12.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes. When I was about 7 or 8, I had my BMX style bike stolen from the front patio of our apartment despite being chained up. I have no idea why my mother didn't want it in the house. In hindsight these days, I think it was stupid as hell.

What kind of sick fucks steal bikes from kids like in all of these stories? I seriously hate thieves. They all deserve severe beatings with a crowbar.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Yep.

When I was about 15 my brother and I stored our bikes on the back porch. We lived in a pretty decent neighborhood in south St. Louis. I had an AMF Roadmaster 10 spd and he had one of those rare 2 speed Schwinn Tourister models.

Our dogs were barking their asses off-inside the house-and we paid no attention to them. Next day the bikes were gone.

Learned a hard lesson that night. ALWAYS pay attention to when the dogs bark.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

What kind of sick fucks steal bikes from kids like in all of these stories? I seriously hate thieves. They all deserve severe beatings with a crowbar.

Usually a target of opportunity; a guy ( read lazy-assed low life type) walking down the street who is tired of walking, sees a bike and a way to not have to walk the rest of the way. He steals the bike, finishes his trip and disposes of it....til the next time, when he'll steal another bike. Its cheaper than BUYING his own, and saves him the cost of having HIS bike stolen by another low life.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:40:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Yes. I lived in the city about 8 years ago. I had a bike rack on the back of my car. The garage that worked on my car was about 2 blocks from home....So....I'd throw the bike on the rack, drop the car off for service, then ride the bike home. When I rode back to pick up the car, I parked the bike about 2 feet from the service desk where i was paying my bill. Some low life scum got off a bus at the stop, saw my bike, swiped it, and vanished. Didn't I feel like a dumbass!!!!!It was a nice Giant MB......
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:29:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Yep, freshman year HS, had my first 10sp stolen from school.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top