Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2008 1:47:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 2:08:01 AM EDT by jonjon]
<strap on your tinfoil hat>

I have noticed something strange with other republicans I have spoken with. Not many voted for McCain in the primary. Of my friends, family, and co workers, many voted for Huckabee or Romney and a few for Ron Paul. (By the time the Florida primary came along Fred was already out) However, out of the numerous people I've talked to, only 2 people voted for McCain. I'm curious to find out how we arrived to where we are, so I have a few possibilities....

1. I'm surrounded by conservatives and I don't like talking to liberal wieners.
2. I'm surrounded by liars.
3. It's all a big conspiracy and the candidates were predetermined.
4. Some other various conspiracy theory..

So I ask you ARFCOM, did you vote for McCain in the primary? If not, who did you and your friends and family vote for?

ETA: poll added
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:47 AM EDT
Fred dropped out before I had a chance to vote for him, I did vote for McCain.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:54:14 AM EDT
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:55:50 AM EDT
Nope. He came in last in our caucus, behind RON PAUL.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:56:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jonjon:

I have noticed something strange with other republicans I have spoken with. Not many voted for McCain in the primary. Of my friends, family, and co workers, many voted for Huckabee or Romney and a few for Ron Paul. (By the time the Florida primary came along Fred was already out) However, out of the numerous people I've talked to, only 2 people voted for McCain. I'm curious to find out how we arrived to where we are, so I have a few possibilities....

So I ask you ARFCOM, did you vote for McCain in the primary? If not, who did you and your friends and family vote for?

You have to understand that Operation Chaos was in part revenge for Democrats voting in our primaries for McCain.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:57:43 AM EDT

I live in a very conservative area (yeah, it's CA, still a damn conservative area for CA). I have seen hardly any McCain bumper stickers. Last election, saw Bush bumper stickers EVERYWHERE. Not sure how to interpret that...
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:58:27 AM EDT
Nope. This thread needs a poll.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:58:44 AM EDT
Huckabee
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By raven:
You have to understand that Operation Chaos was in part revenge for Democrats voting in our primaries for McCain.

That's a good point. In FL at the time, the democrats were not going to seat any of the delegates.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:01:56 AM EDT
Hilllary........

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:04:28 AM EDT
I would have liked Fred, but voted for McCain as I saw him as having a better chance against the Democrats.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:06:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ED_P:
I would have liked Fred, but voted for McCain as I saw him as having a better chance against the Democrats.

I never got a chance to vote for Thompson even though I gave him $200. I ended up voting for Romney.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:06:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Nope.
+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:28:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1Andy2:
Nope.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:38:54 AM EDT
Voted Hillary.

She didn't take the fight to the convention . Oh well, maybe there will still be riots.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:43:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NME:

Fred had just dropped out but his name was for some reason still on the ballot in my state, so I voted for him anyways.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:48:46 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

Fred had just dropped out but his name was for some reason still on the ballot in my state, so I voted for him anyways.

I don't recall his name being on my ballot.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:49:56 AM EDT
Voted for the Hildabeast since McStain already had it wrapped up. I still feel dirty.

Here's to hoping I get to decide between 2 or more good (R) candidates in the next election.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:56:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By packingXDs:

I don't recall his name being on my ballot.

He was still on down here. I voted for McCain....with a Fred08 sticker on my truck.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:00:56 AM EDT
I voted for Huckabee which was kind of of pointless here in Utah. Romney won it in a landslide. I really wanted to vote for Thompson though but he was out of the race.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:20:54 AM EDT
no
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:25:20 AM EDT
I voted for Ron Paul. Romney somehow won my state - I'm not sure where all the McCain supporters were - they weren't at the GOP caucus I attended.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:55:39 AM EDT
Held my nose and cast one for the Hilldog.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:06:00 AM EDT

ETA: poll added

I was wandering how we ended up with such a stale, inept candidate. Maybe he was merely a stepping stone for the almighty.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:09:30 AM EDT

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:10:18 AM EDT
I voted Ron Paul. Didn't matter though McCain already had the nomination.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:13:23 AM EDT
Would have voted for Romney if the primary hadn't been over by the time Ohio rolled around...

I voted for Hillary in the primary in an effort to keep her in the race longer...I still feel really dirty admitting that
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:15:05 AM EDT
I voted McCain in the primary and voted for Thompson's delegates to the state committee.

Huckabee is lower than whale crap as far as I am concerned.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:30:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 4:33:10 AM EDT by david_g17]

I have noticed something strange with other republicans I have spoken with.

the problem is you didn't ask any illegal aliens.

the media was trying to decide if it would be Huckabee or Romney. illegals aren't going to hang around and answer polls for the media, so their votes weren't counted in straw polls, phone polls, interview polls, etc, but they were counted in the primary.

it's just a fact of life. move on.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:42:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By david_g17:

I have noticed something strange with other republicans I have spoken with.

the problem is you didn't ask any illegal aliens.

the media was trying to decide if it would be Huckabee or Romney. illegals aren't going to hang around and answer polls for the media, so their votes weren't counted in straw polls, phone polls, interview polls, etc, but they were counted in the primary.

it's just a fact of life. move on.

good point, I don't speak spanish. I have jumped aboard the McCain train, to avoid at all costs an Obama presidency. I guess the point of the topic was geared towards a better understanding of how we got here. It may be too premature to start to analyze this election, but hopefully the better I understand the people who voted for McCain in the primary would allow me to find commonalities and persuade democraps to vote for McCain in the general election. At this point I don't think I will move on just yet.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:45:56 AM EDT
I voted for Allen Keyes, and would do so again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:53:26 AM EDT
No but I was out of state on business and since McCain was already the "chosen one" I didn't bother with an absentee ballot.

I know a few who definitely voted for him because even though they liked "Operation Chaos" they could not bring themselves to vote for Hitlery. No tinfoil here.

Plus I know Ds who registered as Rs to vote for McCain (not that it mattered too much by the time PA's Primary came around). Seems it works both ways.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:17:54 AM EDT
Hillary
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:18:31 AM EDT
Can't vote in primary - registered Independent!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:29:21 AM EDT
Romney

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:32:54 AM EDT
I voted for Hillary because McCain already had the Republican primary locked up.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:33:21 AM EDT

By the time Oregon's primary rolled around, McCain was the only candidate left.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:33:45 AM EDT
Fred
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:38:03 AM EDT
Choice is an illusion.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:39:54 AM EDT
Fred had already dropped out by the time t he Virginia primary came around. He was still on the ballot and I had full intentions of voting for him, but when I got to the polling place it there was a huge line, I said fuck it and went home. With Fred out, I really had no one else to support.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:44:26 PM EDT
Fred dropped out a week before the GA primary, but he was still on the ballot, so I threw my vote in for him.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:45:04 PM EDT
Voted for Huckleberry.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:46:03 PM EDT
I voted for Hillary so I picked "pie"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:46:23 PM EDT
I wrote in Fred Thompson after he withdrew.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:46:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AmericanPatriot:
Choice is an illusion.

If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:49:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:50:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:54:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DeltaAir423:
Fred dropped out a week before the GA primary, but he was still on the ballot, so I threw my vote in for him.

Same thing here in NY.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:55:11 PM EDT
voted for Huck because he was polling strong in VA and looked like he had a chance to be a spoiler (he wound up with 41% or so)
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:56:27 PM EDT

I voted for Fred Thompson in the primary, and I voted for "pie" in the poll.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:57:45 PM EDT
McCain had it in the bag by the time the circus rolled into Indiana. I voted for Romney so I can always say that I voted against McCain before I voted for him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top