Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2007 10:45:52 PM EDT
To all the old farts out there, did you smoke through the cigar boom of the 90s.  I'll confess that I gave them up.  I just couldn't see paying 10-15 bucks for the same (and probably lesser quality) Arturo Fuente I used to get in the late 80s for 2.50-3 bucks.  I think I actually took about five years off smoking completely minus the occassional gifted cigar.  

When the boom went bust my sister's boyfriend was on the board of a company that was going bust and gave me a bunch of smokes.  Prices were still up from what I remembered but at least somewhat sensible so I decided to start buying again.  

Anyone else do something similar or did you just suck it up and pay the outrageous prices.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 5:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]

I didn't start till a few months ago.

What were the causes for the boom, other than supply and demand?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What were the causes for the boom, other than supply and demand?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was just a case of cigars being the "in" thing to do for awhile.  I think it's the same thing that happened with poker:  it becomes trendy, everyone picks it up, eventually the posers get tired of it, then only the hardcore people stick around.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 7:12:02 AM EDT
[#3]
smoked before,during and after.
the boom sucked for prices,quality and avalibility....
but some really great cigar companys came out of the boom,and most of the shitty ones died.
as a cigar smoker,the boom was a mess....but it still was alot of fun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I never was "trendy".  

Must be a good time to be a cigar noob if it's not trendy anymore.

Mark.

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
never thought of myself as trendy,just so happened that a huge amount of people discovered what i knew all along....that cigars are great!
thank god that most of those people stopped smoking,and the industry and market corrected itself...and left us in great shape,weeded out the don nobodys,and most of the weekend warriors gave up "trendy cigar smoking".

this is a great time to get into cigars...the quality is second to none,and most of the premium cigar makers have upped the bar,and have been putting out some of the best smokes ever.

smoke up!
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I do not smoke.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 2:34:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I do not smoke.

Then why are you in the humidor?

I didn't start smoking cigars until the latter half of the '90s. I remember the boom though, and I agree the reason it started was simply because the "in" crowds in Hollywood & NYC picked it up.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I do not smoke.

Uh...  Good for you?

Mark.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 4:44:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:16:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only been smoking cigars for just under 5 years....so I missed the BIG boom....though I suppose there have been a few smaller booms in the meantime...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top