Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/29/2002 3:08:51 PM EDT
Did I hear right, an F-5 tornado hit Maryland? Damn, I only thought us Mid Westerners got nailed by those. Anybody witness it?
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
They say it was a F5.  Photos have houses with just their foundation left.  I'm sure lots of people witnessed it but probably 0 members here.  

While they are rare here, (Tornados) they happen every couple years.  A few years ago my sisters house in Centreville VA got hit by a tornado.  They had minimal damage while a house a few blocks away was leveled.

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#2]
when I was like 10-12 one hit in belair MD. Talk about having fun. my mom was going nut trying to get us in the house.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#3]
There were only 3 deaths. So I am guessing no.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My grandfather is very ill in LaPlata Hospital, so I am going to get a good first hand look today. I talked to my mom last night and LaPlata is more or less gone, my grandparents house was spared though, they church that got destroyed is right accross the street from their house.

Last I heard there is a Dash-IN sitting on my aunts car.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 3:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Everybody that I know survived.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 4:08:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I live in Northern Va and I heard the tornado warnings on the radio. It got very dark and rained like hell here but no tornado. It hit a small town called LaPlata in Md.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#7]
We were in direct line accross Chesapeake Bay from LaPlata on the eastern shore but by the time it got to us it died out.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey 101_proof long time no see!  Hope your grandfather gets better.  

All day I was hearing tornado warnings and severe thunderstorms.  I think I may have had two drops of rain all day at my house (no. VA).  May have been one actually, but I'll give the benefit of doubt and say two.  [;)]
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Although West Tennessee is closer to the storms spawned in Tornado Alley, even for us things this year have started off with a bang.

Over a period of 3 days last week we had 5 or 6 warnings with at least 3 tornados sighted on the ground.

In 1998 our area was hit first by a tornado that, after passing 3 counties over, developed into a massive F5.  The destruction and devastation in the city that monster finally hit was unimaginable.

Hope everyone fares well this season!
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 2:55:47 AM EDT
[#10]
hey madhater, i remember the supposed tornado that hit bel-air. i was living in jarrettsville at the time. caused quite an uproar it did. anyway this storm hit laplata which is in southern MD. a relatively small town. if this storm and been a little ways north and hit somewhere like Waldorf more people would have been hurt.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 8:26:54 AM EDT
[#11]
[img]http://www.sunspot.net/media/photo/2002-05/2958007.jpg[/img]
Tornado spins across the Chesapeake near Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant. The photo was taken by an employee at the plant.
Apr 30, 2002

[url]http://www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-te.md.reactor01may01.story?coll=bal%2Dhome%2Dheadlines[/url]

What's even more disconcerting is the this comes just a week after an east coast 5.1 earhtquake. The east coast does not HAVE 5.1 earthquakes.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Whoa! I didnt realize it was near Calvert Cliffs, I live ~15 minutes from there.  Luckily it didnt damage much in my county, it hit the next one up.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Tornados are facinating, except when they are coming toward you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I've said it once, and I'll say it again. [b]Tornadoes scare me to death!![/b] I will take a good earthquake any day. Earthquakes only last a few second and their kinda fun. Everytime they have a storm watch here in the DFW area. I get wigged out. I want my mommy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top