Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 9:26:21 PM EDT
During this time, Castro's forces were quite small, at times less than 200 men, while the Cuban army and police force numbered between 30,000 and 40,000 in strength.[3] Yet nearly every time the army fought against the revolutionaries, they were the ones who retreated from the fight. The Cuban military was remarkably ineffective. A growing problem for the Batista forces was an arms embargo imposed on the Cuban government by the United States government on March 14, 1958. The Cuban air force rapidly lost its power as planes could not be repaired without spare parts from the U.S.

In the question of support and supply for the insurgency, too, the official figures available from both the U. S. Government and the Cuban government are somewhat suspect. In fact, the 26th of July columns were constantly supplied with ammunition, ordnance, and certain specialized communications equipment, by air and sea, from various locations in Florida and Louisiana. The bulk of the ordinary military stores were drawn from the armouries of the Alabama National Guard, which served as the 'augmentation' for the para-military operations conducted by the Central Intelligence Agency in Latin America.[citation needed] Towards the final stages of the conflict, limited numbers of aircraft and armoured vehicles were supplied to the insurgents directly from the U.S. Naval Station at Guantanamo Bay, so that the handful of early, cast-hull M4A3 Shermans (equipped with the low-velocity 75mm gun) of the Cuban Army found themselves facing 'Easy Eights' (M4 Shermans with upgraded armour, high-velocity 76mm guns, and HVSS) 'issued' from U.S. Army National Guard and Reserve stores.[citation needed]

From Wikipedia

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:46:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I read a long time ago about it, so I don't remember the referrence... but yes the the US Government did support Castro to some extent.  I don't know how much, certainly not in the detal the WIKI article gives.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:15:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay.

I figured as much.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:33:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard that CIA and State had Castro supporters way after he went communist.  Supposedly that is why he is still in power.  Don't know if it is tru, but it has been a persistent rumor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top