Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/13/2004 7:50:19 PM EDT
82-1066  "Spirit Of America"
The first B-2 built and last to enter operational service.

82-1070  "Spirit of Ohio"

88-0332 "Spirit of Washington"  

92-0700 "Spirit of Florida"

93-1086 "Spirit of Kitty Hawk"

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's the "Spirit of New York".  She doesn't get to take the fight to the enemy, but the testing performed with her allows all the others to do so.
HILL AIR FORCE BASE, Utah -- A B-2 Spirit drops 32 inert Joint Direct Attack Munitions Aug. 27 at the Utah Testing and Training Range here.

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- A B-2 Spirit drops Joint Direct Attack Munitions separation test vehicles over Edwards in an earlier test. On Aug. 6, a B-2 dropped 80 inert JDAMs during a test to increase the B-2's operational capability.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
.... ooooooO

... Don Logan is gonna get his ass chewed when he gets to work tomorrow
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you say "Right-Click"
"Save as......................."
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Dude... That mother is HUGE compared to that fighter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hap Arnold & Jimmy Doolittle would be proud.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the new desktop!
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:43:07 PM EDT
[#7]
tagged until tomorrow  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a HUGE B-52 fan, but the B-2 gives me chills!  I'm just glad that thing is on our side!

BTW,  thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I've always been pissed that they didn't buy 50 of them.  As it stands, some states have B2s named after them and some don't.  Mine doesn't, although a high-tax, strong-union, anti-death penalty state like MI doesn't merit one.

I guess I'll have to move to a state with a B2.  Is there a 'Spirit of Texas'?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I love the B2; don't get me wrong....

... but am I the only one who thinks the B1 is still the sleekest, bad-ass-est modern bomber ever built?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:40:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Naw, you ain't wrong.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am a HUGE B-52 fan, but the B-2 gives me chills!  I'm just glad that thing is on our side!

BTW,  thanks for the pics!

+1    Im sure our enemies have nightmares about this machine
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
.... ooooooO

I have met Don Logan.  He lives here in Wichita.  I contacted him through his web site and went to his house to have him sign his B1 book for my Dad.

Mr. Logan is a great American, who has done an incredible amount of work to help defend our country.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:16:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

... but am I the only one who thinks the B1 is still the sleekest, bad-ass-est modern bomber ever built?

I think the same way.  The B1 is the best bomber we have.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:34:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
.... ooooooO

No he won't. You think someone could simply park themsleves on/by a flightline and snap away at our bombers? He was cleared to do so.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:59:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I used to live in Wichita, about 1 mile east of McConnell AFB when the KS ANG had a B1 wing.

Watching those motherfuckers take off at dusk on full burner was simply BAD ASS.  The entire house literally shook for about 10 seconds, until the planes got far enough away.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used to live in Wichita, about 1 mile east of McConnell AFB when the KS ANG had a B1 wing.

Watching those motherfuckers take off at dusk on full burner was simply BAD ASS.  The entire house literally shook for about 10 seconds, until the planes got far enough away.

I lived 1/4 mile from the runway at Grand Forks in the early 90s, before they were pulled off alert and moved to Dyess & Ellsworth.  We couldn't keep pictures straight on the walls to save our lives, and we had to leave rattle space between the glasses in the kitchen cabinet or they'd sound like a garbage can full of beer bottles in the back of a pickup.

You could see the flame from the afterburners for miles away, and every car alarm on base would go off from the rumbling of the engines.  If you were one the phone when one took off, you'd have to wait 30 seconds or so before speaking, or you couldn't be heard.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:12:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I lived 1/4 mile from the runway at Grand Forks in the early 90s, before they were pulled off alert and moved to Dyess & Ellsworth.  We couldn't keep pictures straight on the walls to save our lives, and we had to leave rattle space between the glasses in the kitchen cabinet or they'd sound like a garbage can full of beer bottles in the back of a pickup.

You could see the flame from the afterburners for miles away, and every car alarm on base would go off from the rumbling of the engines.  If you were one the phone when one took off, you'd have to wait 30 seconds or so before speaking, or you couldn't be heard.

Sound of Freedom.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sound of Freedom.

Amen!  Hardly a complaint--I get itchy when I don't hear the roar of high-performance jet engines for a while!

There was only one time I didn't appreciate all the noise.....one August night (so all the windows in the bedroom are open), some clown decided to do a high-speed pass over the runway at about 3am.  

I'm laying in bed, snoozing away, and then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! the sound hits.

I still swear to this day that the house actually rocked a little.  In less than a second, I went from a sound sleep to standing by my bed in my underwear screaming "WHAT THE F*(^! WAS THAT!" My wife was almost hysterical (thought the Russians had attacked, or something), and I didn't see my cats for two days.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:32:07 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sound of Freedom.

Amen!  Hardly a complaint--I get itchy when I don't hear the roar of high-performance jet engines for a while!

There was only one time I didn't appreciate all the noise.....one August night (so all the windows in the bedroom are open), some clown decided to do a high-speed pass over the runway at about 3am.  

I'm laying in bed, snoozing away, and then BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM! the sound hits.

I still swear to this day that the house actually rocked a little.  In less than a second, I went from a sound sleep to standing by my bed in my underwear screaming "WHAT THE F*(^! WAS THAT!" My wife was almost hysterical (thought the Russians had attacked, or something), and I didn't see my cats for two days.

You think that is bad, think of how the enemy feels.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't mean to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but I find it political pandering to name these things after states this way - spirit of Texas?  Seeesh!

That is not as bad as naming subs after congressional districts, or carriers after congressional leaders.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Awesome pics guys!  The B1 is a great piece of equipment, just looking at it should put the fear of God in any enemy.  

I have a B2 questions though, where are the engines?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:43:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Awesome pics guys!  The B1 is a great piece of equipment, just looking at it should put the fear of God in any enemy.  

The intakes are the bumps just in back of and on either side of the cockpit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Engines?
I knw we forgot something!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:57:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

But the important thing is......the B2 doesn't show up on radar.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a huge B-52 fan, but I still think we should have bought more B-2's.  Jack Northorop is probably rolling over in his grave now that Congress has cut his dream project again.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice pics thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Don't mean to piss in anyone's cornflakes, but I find it political pandering to name these things after states this way - spirit of Texas?  Seeesh!

That is not as bad as naming subs after congressional districts, or carriers after congressional leaders.

Who do you think pays for all of this stuff. Of course political pandering goes on.
Now if only they'd start naming them.
Eradicator
Eviscerator
Executor
Rage
Rampage
Reaper
Relentless
Adjucator
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think the same way.  The B1 is the best bomber we have.

When the Bone works she's great bird, but most of time she's AOG for parts or the weather isn't co-operating.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#32]
There have been a few.....

Douglas B-66 Destroyer
Douglas TBD-1 Devastator
Douglas A-26 Invader
Douglas P-70 Havoc
Douglas SB2D Destroyer

Grumman TBF-1 Avenger
Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat
Grumman A-6 Intruder

Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Boeing B-29 Super Fortress

Consolidated-Vultee B-32 Dominator

Vultee A-31/35   Vengeance

Martin B-26 Marauder

Vought SB2U Vindicator

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who do you think pays for all of this stuff. Of course political pandering goes on.
Now if only they'd start naming them.
Eradicator
Eviscerator
Executor
Rage
Rampage
Reaper
Relentless
Adjucator

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
...and I didn't see my cats for two days.

How do you say, "WTF WAS THAT?" in cat, anyway?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

B-1 doesn't show up much, either....

Not nearly as stealthy as the B-2, obviously, but a sneaky little bastard compared to the B-52....
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:48:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Tagged due to rich creamy bomber goodness. Now with 20% more lethal flavor!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's some more Bomber Pron:

The B-52 is 1024x768, so it makes killer wallpaper!

Just one thing. You DIDN'T get these from me!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:17:09 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Nope. You ain't wrong.

SG
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#38]
That Bone pic had been my all time fav, but that Buff pic takes the cake.
Shweeeeeeet!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#39]
We seriously needed to buy more then 21 B-2s....We are going to start feeling the pinch from attrition here shorly as more and more B-1s go off line and we are left with antique BUFFs and a handful of Bats. (Not that the BUFF doesn't hold a special place in my heart, it was the plane that won the cold war, but just like the B-29 its time is coming)

Think of how huge a loss it would be (knock on wood) if for some reason we loose a B-2, that is ineffect 1/20th the US Heavy strike and hard target kill capacity since we lost the Peacekeepers due to SALT II>

If I were to go into the way back machine I would have put the the XB-70 into production so that we wouldn't have been forced to split the difference between the B-2 and B-1 in the 80s so we would have a force of something like 300 B-70s and maybe 100 B-2s instead of 120 B-52Hs, 32 Flyable B-1Bs, and 21 B-2s.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The B-2 still requires EA-6B jamming support - contrary to USAF claims during its development that it would not require that service.  Less visible yes, invisible no.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I love the B2 Spirit, the shape is fuckin unmatched!

I dunno though...lots of good stuff out there...

Which one do you guys like the best?  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:06:56 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I suppose it depends on what type of enemy needs killing!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

B-1 doesn't show up much, either....

Not nearly as stealthy as the B-2, obviously, but a sneaky little bastard compared to the B-52....

1/100th of the radar cross section of the B-52! Planerench out
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Overall coolness factor, assuming all are equal.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"RRrrrrRRrrrrr   RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr  rrrRRRRRrrr  Hiss!"

BTW, cool story!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

images5.theimagehosting.com/d4c-122553-1.jpg
images5.theimagehosting.com/nhawk6s.jpg
images5.theimagehosting.com/Lockheed_F-22_Raptor_Picture_003.jpg

I’m kind of partial to this one,

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"RRrrrrRRrrrrr   RRRRRRRRrrrrrrrr  rrrRRRRRrrr  Hiss!"

BTW, cool story!

Speaking of B1 stories....got this in an email at work a couple of months ago.  Not sure if true, but it's pretty good!

From Afghanistan

Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:43 AM

Story of the week:

So we are up in the mountains at about 0100 hrs looking for a bad guy that we thought was in the area. Here are ten of us, pitch black, crystal clear night, about 25 degrees. We know there are bad guys in the area, a few shots have been fired but no big deal. We decide that we need air cover and the only thing in the area is a solo B-1 bomber.

He flies around at about 20,000 feet and tells us there is nothing in
the area. He then asks if we would like a low level show of force.

Stupid question. Of course we tell him yes.

The controller who is attached to the team then is heard talking to
the pilot. Pilot asks if we want it subsonic or supersonic.

Very stupid question. Pilot advises he is twenty miles out and stand by.
The controller gets us all sitting down in a line and points out the proper location.

You have to picture this. Pitch black, ten killers sitting down,
dead quiet and overlooking this about 30 mile long valley.

All of a sudden, way out (below our level) you see a set of four 200' white flames coming at us. The controller says, "Ah-- guys--you might want to plug your ears". Faster than you can think a B-1, supersonic, 1000' over our heads, blasts the sound barrier and it feels like God just hit you in the head with a hammer". He then stands it straight up with 4 white trails of flame coming out and disappears.

Cost of gas for that: Probably $50,000

Hearing damage: For certain

Bunch of ragheads thinking twice about shooting at us:  Priceless!

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#48]
If I had to run a mission and I had a choice, I'd want to fly the B-2.

Stealth baby. You're safer in that plane than any other we have.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Overall coolness factor, assuming all are equal.  

Touchy, touchy!

Gimme the F-22!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
If I had to run a mission and I had a choice, I'd want to fly the B-2.

Stealth baby. You're safer in that plane than any other we have.

That we know about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top