Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2005 6:23:36 PM EDT
I Have a maxtor HD 160 gig that is about 9 months old. I can home from vacation and my computer is no longer recognizing it. It was not my primary, mainly used for pictures and mp3's. I cannot find it in CMD prompt or windows explorer. It feels really hot. If it is cooked any way to get my data off it?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably DOA.

Let it cool, see if it'll fireup.

Why not just use your backup disks?  You do have those, right?  
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
If it wont fire up after it cools, Try this - Seal it in a baggie, wrap it up tight so no moisture can get in. Place it in your freezer overnight. Plug it back in and try it again. If it comes back up, remove all your stuff from the drive immediatly, then toss it. I have had amazing results with this method.

Good Luck!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:42:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Just disconnected my HD and removed it. Felt warm but not hot .. will try the freezer method
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I like Seagate for 7400-rpm IDE/SATA desktop drives.
They cost more because they tend to work better--run quieter, fail less often.
The only Western Digitals I wil buy are the Raptors.
~~~
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
By the way, if you call the manufacturer, they will probably replace it for free. Its less than a year old, shouldn’t be a problem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:23:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Well???  Did you try it?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
bump for an update
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes I tried it.. no luck.. it sounded like it was working but my computer did not recognize it. I am running XP- when I reconnected the HD it should have automatically recognized it correct?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:43:18 PM EDT
[#9]
got fdisk?

if so see if it recognizes the drive.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#10]
It should recognize it in Windows automatically.

If all else fails... buy an adapter that will let you connect the drive as an external drive via USB.

It will allow you to recover the data when the drive won't show up in windows.

Adapter runs $50.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It should recognize it in Windows automatically.

If all else fails... buy an adapter that will let you connect the drive as an external drive via USB.

It will allow you to recover the data when the drive won't show up in windows.

Adapter runs $50.

I gethered from the earlier posts that this is already an external USB or Firewire drive.

It MAY be possible to connect it directly to the computer through the IDE cables just in case the USB interface fritzed out...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc  If diskmgmt.msc doesn't see it its dead.

If you buy another drive the exact model you could switch the circuit cards and see if that gets it going.

Shok
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Get out of Windows reboot and see if...

The drive shows up in the computers BIOS on start up.

Is the drive enabled in the computers BIOS?

If the BIOS does not see the drive call the manufacture for replacement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 1:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Most manufacturers off an HD diagnostic that will test the drive.... you normally create a bootable floppy or CD to run the test.

The usually require you to run the diag and provide them the error code before they replace the drive.

So I'd say run the diag first.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top