Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2003 1:03:57 PM EDT
I am going to be going to benning in february and I was trying to think positive. Here is what I came up with Basic will be like a walk in the park compared to getting shot at in Iraq.

I amagine the sgts are going to be real hard on us especially now so we don't get killed in the desert?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't but a marine was telling me they cut the training real short during vietnam. When you think about it thats real scary.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
USMC Boot camp June-July 1966/8 weeks It had been cut back from 12 weeks sometime prior to my time. I did, however, have eight more weeks of infantry training after boot and after leave went on to Army Jump School and Army Rigger(parachute pack) training. [:D]

[devil]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Right after Leon Klinghoffer was killed and thrown overboard.  Strike with the FB-111's on Libya.  German nightclub bombing.  

Things got REAL hot across the street at McGuire AFB, C141's taking off and landing every 2 minutes.  Couldn't go to sleep easily and the Drill's were preping us for real combat.

We were warned of the brutality of the world and how every one of us better watch out when off post.  We were instructed to travel in groups, only stopping at the USO to regroup.

Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I was in Ft Benning at the very begining of Gulf War I. I remember seeing the trains loaded up with tracked vehicles and such. The DIs made it a point to march us past them as often as they could.

It made for 2 things, first, most of us took our training a bit more serious, second,  a few found the remote chance of being deployed to much and did everything to get out from trying to hang themselves to shooting themselves in the foot.

CH
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I was in boot camp at PI during Desert Shield/Desert Storm.

They told us that we were all going to be grunts.

Too bad the war was over before Third Phase started!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top