Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2010 6:35:22 AM EDT

Lost some important ones, History, A&E, etc., unrelated to the Fox programming issue.

Freaking irritating.  Dish wants to send out a tech for $95 that we don't have now, claim its and equipment problem.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Lost some important ones, History, A&E, etc., unrelated to the Fox programming issue.

Freaking irritating.  Dish wants to send out a tech for $95 that we don't have now, claim its and equipment problem.

NVM you said unrelated to the issue

My understanding is there was a bunch of network channels that were getting intentionally cut, by Fox, some rate hike dispute.

http://getlatestnews.com/13716/fox-cuts-dish-network-feed-for-fx-sports-channels/

Fox Cuts Dish Network Feed for FX, Sports Channels

Tens of thousands of baseball and college football fans could well be left in the lurch this weekend as a result of an increasingly contentious tug-of-war over price hikes between Fox and satellite broadcaster Dish Network.

Fox cut the feed to Dish for several of its cable networks Friday, including FX, National Geographic Channel and 19 regional sports channels such as Fox Sports West and Prime Ticket. Those channels are scheduled to broadcast this weekend’s Angels and Dodgers season-ending baseball games as well as the college football contest between UCLA and Washington State, among other events.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Are the channels still out? There could be many reasons for this to happen. Did you check the signal strength for each transponder there should be a screen that will allow you to check that. If you have lost all of ether the odd or the even transponder signals then you probably have a bad LNB or one of the parts between the LNB and the receiver. More than likely it is not the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope have Directv....  
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:47:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Lots of solar activity recently.   Related?
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:51:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are the channels still out? There could be many reasons for this to happen. Did you check the signal strength for each transponder there should be a screen that will allow you to check that. If you have lost all of ether the odd or the even transponder signals then you probably have a bad LNB or one of the parts between the LNB and the receiver. More than likely it is not the receiver.

Yes, still out this a.m.  It "appears" as though the signal strength is sufficient, there are green lights for each of the three satellite signals in the setup, although I am really satellite ignorant.  

The thing is, we've only had the service for less than a year, all of the equipment is brand new.  I guess it is possible the wind could have moved the dish or something?
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 6:52:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I had some transponders go out and I think it was a simple cable connection.

This site has saved me a ton of money with Dish and is probably a better place to ask.

Stuff like fixing my own equipment and when they offer free HBO and don't tell everyone.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Aliens
Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, still out this a.m.  It "appears" as though the signal strength is sufficient, there are green lights for each of the three satellite signals in the setup, although I am really satellite ignorant.  

The thing is, we've only had the service for less than a year, all of the equipment is brand new.  I guess it is possible the wind could have moved the dish or something?

The age of the equipment doesn't mean it cant go bad, especially with Dish equipment. Let me see if I can explain this to you better.

The channels you get are bunched together in several different transponder signals (odd and even numbered). The odd numbered transponder signals come in at 18V and the even numbered come in a 13V. In your setup menu, there should be an option for you to check the transponder signals individually. What you will see is that the odd numbered transponders have a higher signal strength than the Even transponders do. If there is a big difference in the numerical values (odd vs. even) but nether are showing Zero Signal strength, then more than likely the dish is out of alignment. If several or all of the transponders on ether the odd or the even are showing zero signal strength, then you have a bad part.

Dish networks equipment setup is more cumbersome than DirecTV, in other words, there is more that can go wrong with Dish Equipment. More things to bypass and troubleshoot between the receiver and the LNB.

If you really don't want to pay for a Dish Service call, there are ways to get them to come out for free. Being a former Field Service Manager for Dish, I know how it works. But I won't post it on an open forum. If you really want to know......

ETA: If you want IM me your phone number and I will see if I can help you over the phone.

Link Posted: 10/12/2010 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#9]
thanks for all of the info

IM sent
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

IM sent

So what is the latest BeetleBailey?

It was nice talking to you yesterday.

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

IM sent

Hey bud, sorry, I just noticed that you'd replied back.  Actually, I inadvertently let it go for a week after we spoke, we had a REALLY busy couple of weeks with minimal TV watching so it was almost like out of sight, out of mind.  Then, it slowed down around midweek this past week and my wife and I both had a free evening at home.  So one thing led to another and the baby was asleep so I just wanted to do a quick check with her before picking up the phone with Dish, so I got her to stay on the phone with me in front of the TV while I gently moved the Dish outside.  I nudged it up like MAYBE an inch, and bam, all channels back.

I know this is a temporary fix and probably will have to occur again if the fence shifts more.  But I still have their number and your advice ready.  Thanks so much, pal.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IM sent

Hey bud, sorry, I just noticed that you'd replied back.  Actually, I inadvertently let it go for a week after we spoke, we had a REALLY busy couple of weeks with minimal TV watching so it was almost like out of sight, out of mind.  Then, it slowed down around midweek this past week and my wife and I both had a free evening at home.  So one thing led to another and the baby was asleep so I just wanted to do a quick check with her before picking up the phone with Dish, so I got her to stay on the phone with me in front of the TV while I gently moved the Dish outside.  I nudged it up like MAYBE an inch, and bam, all channels back.

I know this is a temporary fix and probably will have to occur again if the fence shifts more.  But I still have their number and your advice ready.  Thanks so much, pal.

Glad you figured it out. Wood fences move around like crazy. You really don't notice it as much until you do something like mount a Satellite Dish on one, or one day you notice your gate latch doesn't line up right to the catch. your best bet would be to move the dish to a pole.

I can tell you how to pole mount the dish if you would like. It is not hard to do and you shouldn't have to really mess with the dish alignment again. Maybe I can draw a diagram in MS Paint for you....Or even better, A CAD drawing.  

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:51:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nope have Directv....  

I'm dumping them, Sick of the BS

They are loosing a 10 year + customer
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:31:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

IM sent

Glad you figured it out. Wood fences move around like crazy. You really don't notice it as much until you do something like mount a Satellite Dish on one, or one day you notice your gate latch doesn't line up right to the catch. your best bet would be to move the dish to a pole.

I can tell you how to pole mount the dish if you would like. It is not hard to do and you shouldn't have to really mess with the dish alignment again. Maybe I can draw a diagram in MS Paint for you....Or even better, A CAD drawing.  

You know, I bet even a sole 4x4x8' pole without all of the weight on it would be sufficient, but probably no better cost efficient than a metal pole.  If you have some free time to do so, fire away, but don't take otherwise important time to do it.  I may have just landed an evening job and my time to make a reinstall in the near future may be severely limited.  Thanks again for your help.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:14:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

IM sent

You know, I bet even a sole 4x4x8' pole without all of the weight on it would be sufficient, but probably no better cost efficient than a metal pole.  If you have some free time to do so, fire away, but don't take otherwise important time to do it.  I may have just landed an evening job and my time to make a reinstall in the near future may be severely limited.  Thanks again for your help.

A metal pole is the way to go on that and really doesn't take much time to do.

A standard chain link fence pole works the best. Just make sure you have enough slack cable to move the dish a foot or two from the original location.

Dig a hole a minimum of 2' deep and fill it with quick set concrete (you may have to dig below the frost line if you live in a place that gets pretty cold in the winter).

Take a hammer to one end of the pole to make it less round so the pole will not twist or pull out once the concrete has set. Place that end of the pole down in the concrete and use a level to make sure it is plumb on two sides. It is important that the pole be straight.

Once the concrete is set enough to hold the pole, take a compass and figure out the azimuth the dish is pointing at (take the reading in a line with the LNB arm). When you have that, remove the LNB from the Arm and disconnect the cables from it (remember which cable goes where). Pull the cables free from the dish. Locate the bolts that hold the dish reflector to the mounting arm (two or three bolts should be 7/16 heads) and loosen them so you can pull the dish off and put it onto the top of the pole. You will not need to loosen the elevation bolts.

Tighten the bolts that secure the dish to the pole just enough so you can still turn it but that it is not locked down. Turn the dish so that it points to the Azimuth you measured earlier. run the cables back through the LNB arm, reconnect the LNB and mount the LNB to the LNB arm.

Check the signal strength on the receiver. If need be, tweak the Azimuth for the best signal and lock the dish down to the pole.

Thats it. The longest part of doing this is waiting for the concrete to cure.

Let me know how this works for you.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top