Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2003 12:00:50 AM EDT
http://www.didyouknow.cd/xmas/xmas.htm

A little holiday history for you. The rest of the story (used w/o permisson from P. Harvey)
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
[url=http://www.didyouknow.cd/xmas/xmas.htm]http://www.didyouknow.cd/xmas/xmas.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard somebody talking about "getting back to the [i]real[/i] meaning of Christmas", so I got in on the coversation.  I started explaining about the true origins of Christmas and the associated traditions and practices.  I was going on about Saturnalia, and how there is a movement by pagans to reclaim the symbols of holly, mistletoe, wreaths, the Christmas tree, etc. that have been "hijacked" by Christianity.

Trust me, you cannot force people to take the red pill.

I figured by the time I was done they were on the verge of stoning me as a heretic.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this another post that will offend those of us who cannot think for ourselves ?

While once again,.. you reference those who did your thinking for you .

Every year at CHRISTmas time the weak of mind and knee are attacked on the airwaves by those who desparatly want to persuade them to atheism. Why ?
Why cant atheist just sit quietly home on Sunday morning and wait for a ball game to start? After all atheism is not a religon, why do they feel the need to preach ?
I dont beleive in paganism, nor am I even remotely interested in talking ,typeing ,reading ,or learning any more about such a silly religon. I know just enough to know its bogus. Why arent atheist the same way about Chistianity ?
Answer: They are not atheiests. Those of us who "cant think for ourselves" know who they are.
You base your wisdom on a TV program with a 5 year shelf life and anyone with a pen and paper.(insert sheep icon here).
The Bible has withstood thousands of years of these attacks yet it has encircled the earth. So now comes you ,Your going to stop it with your ever evolving, contridictory, too many cooks, wisdom.
A request:When your done with that, I would like to see the sun rise in the west.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:34:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a Christian.  

In my studies into the origins of traditions, doctrines, and practices I have found that much of pagan origin has been added to the faith.  My personal conscience is leading me to weed out these things in an effort to get back to a purer, first-century type of faith.

This process has challenged many long-held assumptions and paradigms.  It has brought criticism from fellow believers.  However, I have found no scriptural authority for taking a pagan practice and "Christianizing" it.  I cannot take something pagan, layer it with a veneer of Christian terms and symbols, then offer it up as something holy and acceptable to our Heavenly Father.

We have an obsession with worshipping God "in our own way."  What about worshipping Him in His way?
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I see that many are Drawn to discarding 'pagan' Stuff and adopting what the First century christians were like. But let me tell you, as soon as Jesus died and St. Paul entered the picture there was a division. This diovision was this, should a true follower of jesus (i won't refer to them as christians) Remain Greek(gentile) or should they adopt Jewish ways? because the plain fact is Jesus overturned only of a few of the old practices, like eating unclean animals etc. In fact he said I have come to make moses law be fulfilled! And it is clear that he practiced the Seder. In fact there is a passage where Peter and paul argue as to how the early christians should behave. Peter (who actually knew christ) said they should adopt Jewish ways Yet paul argued the opposite. And the plain fact is Paul pretty much "highjacked" the christian movement. Notice how all his letters and acts make it into the end of the gospels but Peter and most of the apostles fade into history? I'm nnot saying that he was a bad man but to him I think it was a question a salesmanship. How hard would it have been to convert people if they were suddenly expected to practice Jewish Laws? Which at that time were considered totally Wacko to the Greco-roman world. In fact it specifically mentions that Jesus followers only stayed within 'isreal' preaching to fellow Jews and ignoring the Gentile towns nearby. But Paul belived in converting everyone which after his death led to some consequences. one of which was that Early converts were able to keep most of their old habits and holidays just Juxtapositioning Christianity on top of it all. So it seems to me there were two early "christians" those who followed Greek ways and those who followed Jewish ways.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I just go with the "Two Christmases" approach.

There's the sacred Christmas where we celebrate the birth of Christ.

And the secular Christmas where we buy gifts and stuff.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Is this another post that will offend those of us who cannot think for ourselves ?
View Quote

Evidently!! plz see below.

posted by Inatree
I dont beleive in paganism,.... ,reading ,or learning any more about such a silly religon. I know just enough to know its bogus.
View Quote

How can you argue with an articulate statement like that.

Brohawk seems to be one of the few that can make an honest analysis of facts. I applaud you sir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top