Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A lot of guys did not go,
~snip~

Those are celbrities and politicos, there were a shitload of John Does who did not go

Are you a veteran or currently serving?

Veteran

The list you posted included Sean Hannity.  He was not of age to serve in Vietnam and there was no draft when he turned 18.  Exactly why would he be included in that list?  
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~snip~

Those are celbrities and politicos, there were a shitload of John Does who did not go

Veteran

The list you posted included Sean Hannity. He was not of age to serve in Vietnam and there was no draft when he turned 18. Exactly why would he be included in that list?

He copied and pasted it from some libtard site without reading it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
~snip~

Veteran

The list you posted included Sean Hannity.  He was not of age to serve in Vietnam and there was no draft when he turned 18.  Exactly why would he be included in that list?  

Well, he didn't go.
Link Posted: 2/17/2013 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Is that you Beargrlz?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Some people had educational deferments.  These usually extended through grad school, med school, law school.  In my opinion this generated an explosion of lawyers and resulted in our litigation prone society.  But these were all legal.  If LaPierre had one of those, so be it.  His time line would indicate to me that he could have done so absent a medical excuse.

What I had a problem with was when the government gave amnesty to guys who deserted the military or left the country to avoid the draft, etc.  I can remember in 1974 (even as the war in Viet Nam was still nominally under way) when the first group from Canada were in-processed at Ft. Benjamin Harrison, given lodging in the BOQ, and provided with government jobs in agencies like Social Security.

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/sept-16-1974-conditional-amnesty-for-vietnam-draft-dodgers-and-military-deserters/

Then Carter blanket pardoned them all.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7974.html

While many "conservatives" may have gamed the system, they played by the rules.  The "liberals" were more inclined to simply break the law, then they got a pass.

Not all who served during Viet Nam went to Viet Nam.  I'm a Viet Nam era vet, but never left the country in a service related way.

ETA:  I guess my point is that in a country where the Liberal establishment undermined the war effort in Viet Nam causing untold suffering and death throughout the region, then engineered the blanket pardon of all who deserted the military or virtually gave up their citizenship to avoid service, it is asinine to dredge up dirt on how currently patriotic Americans legally avoided service.  Just another bright, shining example of Liberal hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For a Medical condition based on a family doctor supported nervous disorder?

Flame suit on

If he did, why would it matter?

Bill Clinton dodged the draft and went to England. He wrote a letter to his military board stating, 'he loathed the military'.

That was good enough to be elected President twice and the apple of the eye of all Democrats.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:41:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Flame suit on

What's wrong with you?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:55:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
LaPierre graduated from Patrick Henry High School in Roanoke, Virginia in 1967. He received his BA in education from Siena College and his MA in government from Boston College. He has been a government activist and lobbyist since finishing his MA, including positions on the Board of Directors of the American Association of Political Consultants, the American Conservative Union, and the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation.

I really don't care one way or the other but it sure don't look like he ever really worked a day in his adult life.  Perhaps that is why many folks don't care that much for or can relate to him when compaired to his predecessors.  

LOL....He should have took a public speaking class or two.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 3:56:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flame suit on

Do I give a fuck at this point?  So what if he did?  Did he run off
to Canada and bad mouth his country?  Fuck, Cassius Clay
refused the draft and hes a fucking hero (to be fair, CC didn't
leave the country, so I give him that.)

No, he just converted to ISLAM!!!!  And why that got him out of military service, I guess I don't really understand.

CC is treated like fucking royalty around here in Louisville.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#11]
To be fair it seems like every member of the board of directors who spent time in uniform there service is pointed out.

Board of directors
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:30:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'll put my flame suit on for my next few comments......

Vietnam was a fucked up politician's war.

I am 41 now, born in 1972.  I remember watching the fall of Saigon on a black and white television, wondering why people were pushing helo's off the carrier decks.  At one time, when I was much younger, I thought it was cool to blow up things and kill people, like what you would do in a war.  I also thought it was patriotic to do so in service of this country.  Looking back over 20 years, I think I was naive.  

So looking back to 1960's to early 1970's with what I know now, yep, I would have bailed to Canada too, or loaded up on the college deferrments.  

I can't blame anyone else who skipped out of that one, whether it be Ted Nugent, Sylvester Stallone, or George Bush.

By the way, I did my time in the Air Force.

All of the above is my opinion, and there ain't nothing you're gonna say that'll change it.

The Saddest Day: 30 April 1975 (The Fall of Saigon)
When you were  3yr !
I remember watching the fall of Saigon on a black and white television, wondering why people were pushing helo's off the carrier decks

I call BS !!

Pirate voice/seems to strain credulity don't it? / Pirate voice, CPT Barbosa

I made up some words for that one
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don't like the organization/position, attack the man.  Check.

Yup. This shit is starting to sound like DU. Eating each other is a Liberal past time but seems to be all the rage over here.

NRA and Wayne are on our side. Take the hate to DU please. They are all soulless cunts over there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:50:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what difference does it make?

You mean to tell me if the president of the NRA shot a bunch of VC with an M16 and a 1911 it wouldn't give you a raging gun boner?

The PRESIDENT of the NRA is David Keene.  He was 23 in 1968 whn he graduated from the University of Wisconsin (21 in 1967).  Probably had a student deferment.  He wasn't a "fortunate one' as in a 'senator's son'.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on

I don't know but I read on the internet Harry Reed is a pedophile. Not sure if its true buts its on the web

I thought it was Harry Reid is a member of NAMBLA - I distinctly saw on the 'net that Harry Reid is a member of NAMBLA...

- georgestrings

PS: Fuck Andrew Cuomo

I read that on the internet - that Harry Reid is a member of NAMBLA - so it must be true.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 4:52:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. This shit is starting to sound like DU. Eating each other is a Liberal past time but seems to be all the rage over here.

NRA and Wayne are on our side. Take the hate to DU please. They are all soulless cunts over there.
"But I'm just asking questions..."

If I rephrased my question about his deferment do you think it would have been handled any diffrent?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:07:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

there was a draft for WWII, right?

Were there any deferrments for college back then?

There were deferments, but none for college (except seminary / divinity school).  Physical deferments (4F); essential war worker, farmer, age / family - chart here.

The Army and the Navy had programs designed to preserve America's future with the Army Specialized Training Program (115 IQ, later 120)and the Navy's V-12 program.

The idea was to preserve the smart people and train them to be the scientists and engineers we'd need.  

The services had pioneered IQ testing in WWI.  In WWII they also did IQ tests and there was a hierarchy of who got the smart people.  The Navy and Army Air Corps bled off a lot of high scorers for their supposed higher technological requirements.

At the colleges and universities where these ASTP and V-12 students went there were usually only girls, deferred (4F) men and the ASTP and V-12 servicemen.

The Air Corps also overstated it's need for pilots, navigators, bombardiers and aircrew.  By 1944 there were so many aviation cadets in the training programs that few would have gotten through flight school by VJ day.

By 1944, of course, the US Army had run out of infantry.  ASTP and the flight training programs were curtailed drastically and the personnel sent to be infantrymen.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:08:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Stupid thread.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

there was a draft for WWII, right?

Were there any deferrments for college back then?

Yes, basically the same ones as during 'nam.

Nope.  As I posted, the Army and Navy sent selected draftees to college, but there were no college deferments except divinity school.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Flame suit on

Troll much ???
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on

Troll much ???

It happens
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:22:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Who gives a fuck?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:25:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

"But I'm just asking questions..."

If I rephrased my question about his deferment do you think it would have been handled any diffrent?
A cop told me a story once about chasing a guy into a darkened house, while he was fighting with the guy another cop ran into the house and started punching, but he was hitting the first cop in the back of the head, you're that guy.

Fair enough feel free to lock or delete this and I will do whatever penance you deem necessary.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You guys remember the amendment just before the 2nd Amendment? OP has a right to ask.
A right that is guaranteed by the second one. OH yeah, how well is that 1A right protected over in your DU if you speak out against the mocha messiah and don't give him his due fellation?

Really you think that highly of me thanks that's awesome man. And by awesome I mean really dissappointing. God forbid I get a legitimate answer.

Here is your answer and if you did even a little bit of research before starting this thread you wouldn't have started a shit storm.

He graduated high school in 1967.

He received a BA in Education from Sienna College so figure 4 years you get 1971.

He then went on to get a Masters in Government from Boston College and now you get 1973. He would have had a deferment to the end of the academic year.

The last draft selection was December 1973.

So you tell me how did he skip the draft if he was in school the whole time?

Not only that, but the last draft call ups in 1972 were by drawing.  December 1972 (class born 1952) was the last call up.  The Vietnam War was effectively over already and draft call ups were getting smaller (Paris Peace Acords January, 1973 and all US combat troops out by April 1973).

The Volunteer Army transition began in 1971 (the Sective Service extension bill almost failed that year - Nixon wanted to end the draft, even though the Administration asked for the two year extension, and some senators fought hard to stop the bill).

February 1972 was the last drawing (class of 1953) for 1973 call ups, but there was no draft call ups after the 1972 numbers. Ford's amnesty was in 1974.

I know.  I had a draft card.  Selective Service assigned priority numbers for the class of 1954, 1955 and 1956 in 1974, 1975 and 1976, but there were no call ups.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did Nancy Pelosi join the NVA during Nam and fight American troops?

I don't know, I'm just asking questions...

I have always been suspicious of that + I suspect SOS Kerry is the real Manchurian Candidate

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
~snip~

Veteran

Not him you are correct and their are others who should not be on that list. The whole point was that Mr. Lapierre did what a lot of people his age did and that was avoiding the draft. Some guys like Rocky Bleier was drafted after college and served with distinction. Elvis Presley and Willie Mays both were drafted and served with distinction

But the reality was a lot of guys from both sides of the camp avoided the draft and Vietnam

"Other discriminating factors regarding conscription include age, with a preference for younger draftees, and residency, since only those in the U.S. may be drafted.

The draft has been perceived by some as unfairly targeting the poor and lower middle classes. Because of college deferments, children of wealthy and upper-middle-class families that could afford to send them to college could avoid the draft. The fact that President Bill Clinton had been attending college during the time period in which conscription was active and received a collegiate deferment caused controversy during his campaigns and during his time in office (however, Clinton did not come from a rich family). Similar controversy has surrounded prominent figures in the Bush Administration, such as Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz.

During the Vietnam War, some children of wealthy families wished to avoid a perception of avoiding military service. Those individuals often signed up for the National Guard, which at the time seldom sent troops overseas. The fact that some were able to use their family's connections to gain a position when spots in the Guard were limited also led to a perception that the wealthy were using the National Guard to ensure that their children were assigned low-risk duty in the U.S. Much as President Clinton's obtainment of a deferment based on his attendance of college caused controversy, President George W. Bush's service in the National Guard during the Vietnam War also attracted controversy during his election campaigns.

During the Vietnam Era it was often quite easy for those with some knowledge of the system (or from guidance by draft counselors and draft attorneys) to avoid being drafted, or to defend prosecutions by submitting themselves to induction after indictment, and then being found disqualified. A simple route, widely publicized, was to get a medical rejection. This was possible because the draft laws after World War II mandated that the medical standards for conscription should not be less stringent than they were during the war. However, advances in diagnostic medicine led to a much larger pool of young men being subject to disqualification. (Homosexuality was also a disqualifying condition, although most men did not wish to assert this status during that era.) Men who received induction notices could often manipulate where they were examined by showing up at induction centers far away from their actual residences on the mandated date for examination (either for a pre-induction physical or the induction physical examination). It was advantageous to be examined in induction centers adjacent to heavily populated metropolitan areas, where it often was not worth the Army's time to dispute their claims.

Conversely the poor and uneducated were often conscripted without any understanding of how to escape the system. However, many law schools, notably Harvard University, had draft counseling centers where law students helped young men in poorer areas assert their rights and seek exemptions from induction."
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough feel free to lock or delete this and I will do whatever penance you deem necessary.
I'm not going to lock it, you're not breaking any rules [shrug] You've got every right to ask, I just don't know what you are up to.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#32]

If you look up draft dodger in the dictionary you will see the textbook example
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not going to lock it, you're not breaking any rules [shrug] You've got every right to ask, I just don't know what you are up to.

OH we all know he really wants you to lock the thread now that he is getting his ass handed to him.  He's tired of playing the game that he started.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Not him you are correct and their are others who should not be on that list. The whole point was that Mr. Lapierre did what a lot of people his age did and that was avoiding the draft.

Someone posted above that no one was called up for the draft the year Lapierre would have finished college. College deferments expired at a person's 24 birthday, 2 months after his 24th birthday, the all voluntary military became law. He had no  need to request a medical deferment, the whole question was based on a lie, started by Democratic Underground.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#38]
There were many, many draftees who did not avoid the draft and VN and served with distinction

The stereotypes are wrong. Let's look at the facts, starting with who actually served in Vietnam.
The image of those who fought in Vietnam is one of poorly educated, reluctant draftees -- predominantly poor whites and minorities. But in reality, only one-third of Vietnam-era veterans entered the military through the draft, far lower than the 66 percent drafted in World War II.

It was the best-educated and most egalitarian military force in America's history -- and with the advent of the all-volunteer military, is likely to remain so. In WWII, only 45 percent of the troops had a high school diploma. During the Vietnam War, almost 80 percent of those who enlisted had high school diplomas, and the percentage was higher for draftees -- even though, at the time, only 65 percent of military-age males had a high school diploma.

Throughout the Vietnam era, the median education level of the enlisted man was about 13 years. Proportionately, three times as many college graduates served in Vietnam than in WWII.

Draftees vs. Volunteers:

25% (648,500) of total forces in country were draftees. (66% of U.S. armed forces members were drafted during WWII.)

Draftees accounted for 30.4% (17,725) of combat deaths in Vietnam.

Reservists killed: 5,977.

National Guard: 6,140 served; 101 died.

Total draftees (1965-73): 1,728,344.

Actually served in Vietnam: 38%

Marine Corps draft: 42,633.

Last man drafted: June 30, 1973
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Not him you are correct and their are others who should not be on that list. The whole point was that Mr. Lapierre did what a lot of people his age did and that was avoiding the draft.

So it was a bullshit list to begin with but you still posted it?

WTF?

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:04:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Flame suit on

Do I give a fuck at this point?  So what if he did?  Did he run off

to Canada and bad mouth his country?  Fuck, Cassius Clay

refused the draft and hes a fucking hero (to be fair, CC didn't

leave the country, so I give him that.)

No, he just converted to ISLAM!!!!  And why that got him out of military service, I guess I don't really understand.

CC is treated like fucking royalty around here in Louisville.

He also was arrested for it and went to trial and found guilty. The supreme court reversed the ruling on appeal.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it was a bullshit list to begin with but you still posted it?

WTF?

I screwed up and was lazy posting it but the point was a lot of guys did not go avoiding the draft

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#42]
And John Kerry & Charlie Rangel served. What's your point.
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#43]
I don't know.

What I do know, however, is that the OP is starting a pointless thread aimed at discrediting an organization that is fighting for our rights at the moment. And that I don't appreciate it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#44]
WTF OP?

And good ol Richter. Somehow every time I read what he posts, and I look over at the name I am not surprised at who it is that has so vehemently disgusted me.

But, isn't it SOP to lock a thread at the request of the OP?
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Flame suit on

Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/18/2013 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#47]
OP request.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top