Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 3:58:32 PM EDT
I was at the range the other day with my M700 BDL in good ole 30-06. I usually load up the internal magazine and shoot 5 at a time. Well I my buddy asked me to take a look in the spotting scope to see if he hit something and we ended up talking about something for a minute. When I got back to my rifle I pulled the bolt back and picked up another round and went to put it in the chamber. I started pushing and it stopped. When I went to look at it I saw the point of that round up against the primer of a live round that was already ikn the chamber! I guess I hadn't closed the bolt all the way the first time so when I pulled it back that round didn't eject. I usually push my bolt kind of hard. Is it possible I could have touched off that primer or would I have needed to really slam it home for that to happen? I seen the same thing happen to someone who was showing off with an AK. They had about 10 rounds left in the mag and instead of pulling the mag out and unloading the chamber the started working the bolt ejecting all rounds until a jam. When I looked at what he had done there was a round being pressed against the primer of the round before it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#1]
When the guy did that with the AK, the previous round should have been ejected before the next round was being chambered
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I had some primers detonate just by being dropped. I first noticed after a friend's pistol went off into my wall after simply letting the slide slam home.

See my other thread here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=11095&r=&page=1

In that case, the ammo was unmarked old gunshow stuff. I never was able to determine the exact cause for the primer being bad.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
It looked like a nasty situation to me. The last thing I need in my life is 2 rounds blowing up in an open chamber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top