Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2002 2:56:27 PM EDT
[size=4]Pentagon Describes Military Deaths[/size=4]  
By MATT KELLEY, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - The seven Americans who died in the bloodiest operation of the war in Afghanistan were killed as troops were being taken into the battle area on two different missions, the Pentagon said Tuesday.

One incident happened early Monday morning south of the town of Gardez when a two-helicopter team was ferrying in reconnaissance troops and one was hit by enemy fire, said Brig Gen. John W. Rosa Jr., deputy director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

One person fell out from his helicopter and later died, Rosa told a Pentagon news conference.

The second happened three hours later and a distance away during a separate two-helicopter mission to bring special forces into the battle area. Once on the ground, those forces got into a firefight in which at least 11 were wounded and six died.

At least one other helicopter hours later performed a rescue mission to bring out the dead and wounded, but exact details were still unclear Tuesday.

Pentagon officials said Monday that U.S. the-led force of about 2,000 fighters would continue fighting dug-in al-Qaida and Taliban fighters until the enemy were either dead or captured.

The latest American casualties came during intense fighting at the opponents' snowy eastern Afghanistan mountain hide-out as two twin-rotor troop-carrying helicopters came under attack. Military officials said the opposition force used machine guns and rocket-propelled grenades.

President Bush said the deaths made him more determined to wipe out al-Qaida.
The U.S. assault, code-named Operation Anaconda, began Friday in the rugged mountains near the Afghan city of Gardez. Instead of letting local Afghan forces take the lead, U.S. Army soldiers were the vanguard force, pursuing fighters of the al-Qaida terror network and former ruling Taliban militia to heavily fortified caves and other hide-outs.

Afghan, Canadian, Australian, German, Danish, Norwegian and French forces backed up the Americans.

In all, 40 U.S. soldiers have been wounded since the operation began Friday. On Saturday, Chief Warrant Officer Stanley Harriman, 34, of Wade, N.C., was killed shortly after the United States began its ground offensive.

U.S. commanders said fighting was fierce and could continue for some time. They estimated the fighting killed between 100 and 200 fighters for al-Qaida and the Taliban militia that sheltered them.

"We intend to continue the operation until those al-Qaida and Taliban who remain are either surrendered or killed. The choice is theirs," Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told a Pentagon news conference.

Troops and pilots were fighting at elevations from 8,000 feet to 11,000 feet. Temperatures have dipped to about 15 degrees at night in the snowy peaks.

Army officials said Apache attack helicopters had been hit with extraordinary amounts of small arms fire but continued their assaults. French attack jets and U.S. bombers and Air Force AC-130 gunships, armed with howitzers and 40mm cannon, served as the ground troops' airborne artillery.

See article at: [url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/20020305/ap_on_re_as/afghan_us_military_856[/url]

ABC News reported that the first soldier who fell out of the chopper was captured by Al Qaida fighters and executed!

Eric The(Kill'EmAll)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:07:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not nuke the mountains to ensure that any survivors would die anyway?  Also throw a couple nukes at Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, UAE, Kuwait, Pakistan, Oman, Jordan and Egypt, then eventually work the nukes into the African countries?  (That isn't sarcasm)

Rid the world of the ensuing pestilance before its too late! (Anyone know where Farakahn lives?)
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
According to MSNBC..yes. They say they have footage from one of our drones that shows the Terrorist dragging the soldier who fell out into  a different area..then after shooting him, they brought him back. Is this sick or what? No prisoners...I say we should start shooting the ones Gitmo.

So, the answer is yes,
[b][blue]NAKED[/blue][/b]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
This link indicates that the soldier that fell out was a Navy SEAL that was shot and killed by Al Qaeda.

[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/627086.asp?0cb=-11624124#BODY[/url]

I don't know if that means he was captured and executed.  One would think he would have fought back if able after the fall.

JAW
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, then, it should be understood that there are to be [b]no more prisoners[/b]!

Let them die for their beliefs just as they wish!

I say we release the prisoners at Gitmo and let them join their comrades for the [i][b]finale[/b][/i]!

Eric The(ThatWouldBeAJoyToWatch!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why not nuke the mountains to ensure that any survivors would die anyway?  Also throw a couple nukes at Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, UAE, Kuwait, Pakistan, Oman, Jordan and Egypt, then eventually work the nukes into the African countries?  (That isn't sarcasm)

Rid the world of the ensuing pestilance before its too late! (Anyone know where Farakahn lives?)
View Quote

Nope, a nuke is too easy. It would all be over for them in a flash.

I want fire and brimstone. Scorching pieces of metal piercing bodies so they can lay for a few minutes thinking about what they've done while they bleed out. I want em straffed with machinegun fire and holding their guts in their hands before they pass out from shock. I want em running out of their caves on fire wishing they would hurry up and die to take away the pain.

I want some f*cking revenge for all of the shit they've done to everybody....
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#6]
God bless those brave Americans, over there killing those bastards for us.  

Is it wrong to desire revenge?  

If it's wrong, then I don't wanna be right.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait a minute...Rewind and play that again...

Rid the world of the ensuing pestilance before its too late! (Anyone know where Farakahn lives?
View Quote

On 12September, I, and several others, very nearly got banned for comments similar to these.[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/corky/smilies23.gif[/IMG] My opinion of these rag...errr... "Islamic Gentlemen" has not changed one bit since that time.  Since I don't wish to be banned any more now than I did back in September, further comments will be supressed.

[IMG]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]  

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't forget to burry them in pigs skin.
Then they can't have their 72 virgins in hell.
That will freak them out.[:|]
View Quote

I don't really care about burying them in pigskin. They're dead so they won't know it, and I don't believe in their religion so it doesn't really matter to me.

Besides, skinnin pigs ain't much fun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Besides, skinnin pigs ain't much fun.
View Quote

There speaks the voice of experience. Been there, done that, had the Brunswick stew. [;)]

We need to see to it that the next time anyone anywhere suggests bombing the USA, he is stomped to death in his flea infested, camel shit smelling village by the other villagers because they remember the sound of the B-52s and the Cobra mounted miniguns and the smell of their relatives cooking in the caves.

I'm not an unreasonable man, just an unforgiving one.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, burying them in pig skins is not for them so much as it is for those they left behind!

It's like the Ace of Spades left behind on a dead VC's body - 'we were here, we'll be back'

Eric The(Bloodthirsty)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#14]
[size=3]Like I always say; never send a man to do a neutron's job.[/size=3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Why worry about burying them in pig skins when we should just feed them to the hogs?
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
It appears that CNN was able to confirm it as well:
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/03/05/ret.afghan.helicopter.horror/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#17]
[url]http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGA9QCUGGYC.html[/url]

Cocksuckers !
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#18]
It's true:

"The missing service member was captured by al-Qaida. “We saw him on the Predator being dragged off by three al-Qaida men,” said Maj. Gen. Frank L. Hagenbeck, referring to an unmanned reconnaissance plane mounted with a real-time video camera."

"Pentagon officials said the man killed by al-Qaida fighters was Aviation Boatswain’s Mate First Class Neil C. Roberts, 32, of Woodland, Calif. Roberts was based in Norfolk, Va., with a Navy SEAL unit."

"Marine Maj. Ralph Mills said Roberts died of a bullet wound after surviving a fall from the helicopter."

[url]http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-794578.php[/url]

[:(!]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why not nuke the mountains to ensure that any survivors would die anyway?  
View Quote

You really think that was an "earthquake" that just *happened* to hit the area NE of Kabul a few days ago?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top