Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2005 9:06:56 AM EDT
I went to 3 different Dick's in my area the other day looking for 2 sleeping bags.  Both are the mummy style and one is rated 0degrees, the other is from 0-40 with removeable liners.  I saw them onilne on the website and figured I would just go and pick them up.  Not the case.  They either didn't carry them or were out of stock.

So I just got fished purchasing these 2 bags on their website,  not only did I save the gas driving around town and the hassle of waiting in line I also got them both shipped for free (free shipping on purchases over $100) to my door.   I also DID NOT have to pay any sales tax.  The total was $115 for both shipped,  and that saved me about $10 dollars in city/state sales tax.  

Looks like I'll be doing a lot more online shopping.  With the free shipping to the house and the lack of sales tax that will really add up on larger purchases.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Best Buy won't price match to their web site.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You still shop there?

I normally order, saves me from having to deal with people.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You still shop there?

BIG +1 I work in retail and i HATE people. I have been doing my christmas shopping online for the pas 2-3 years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You still shop there?

Haven't stepped foot into on in a long time.  There's nothing they have that Newegg isn't cheaper on.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Only problem is you'll end up sitting here like me, waiting on your stuff.  I want my gloves damnit
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I've found for me (If I choose to buy from the store) is to call them and check inventory. If they have it fine, I'll ask if they can hold it for me. If not no big deal, if so cool.
But regardless, that 1 phone call can save me a whole lot of driving and hassle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah but shopping online you can't use the discount coupons that they always have, like this one for $10 off a $25 purchase.  That's a 40% discount!!!!

www.securebuyingarea.com/decwel/coupons/index.html

I have gotten most of my fishing stuff this way.  I grab the girlfriend, print out two copies of the coupon, break my order into $25 purchases and save a ton of money.  I've also been known to do this several days in a row.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been in 1 Dick's store.  I have absolutely no use for them.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I was in a Dicks store once looking for handguns. I was told by an employee that Dicks doesn't sell handguns because the owners view handguns as "immoral".

Maybe it was just B.S. Anyone else heard this before?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I went to 3 different Dick's in my area the other day looking for 2 sleeping bags.  Both are the mummy style and one is rated 0degrees, the other is from 0-40 with removeable liners.  I saw them onilne on the website and figured I would just go and pick them up.  Not the case.  They either didn't carry them or were out of stock.

So I just got fished purchasing these 2 bags on their website,  not only did I save the gas driving around town and the hassle of waiting in line I also got them both shipped for free (free shipping on purchases over $100) to my door.   I also DID NOT have to pay any sales tax.  The total was $115 for both shipped,  and that saved me about $10 dollars in city/state sales tax.  

Looks like I'll be doing a lot more online shopping.  With the free shipping to the house and the lack of sales tax that will really add up on larger purchases.

Why no sales tax?

Edited to add:

Today I went to Sears after looking at some items on their website.  I printed up the prices just in case.  When I was in Sears, one of the items rang up a different price than I had seen online.  I asked the clerk about about it and he did a price match against Sears itself.  And since Sears has a price match guarantee of 10% of the difference, they gave me the 10% as well...against themselves.

So that was a good transaction for me.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
FYI

It is www.dickssportinggoods.com

NOT

www.dicks.com

I learned the hard way.  (no pun intended)

Lab
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
FYI

NOT

www.dicks.com

Lab

Well........ No Shit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
FYI

NOT

www.dicks.com

Lab

Well, thanks for that long thought out reply.  I can see why you are a motivational speaker.

Are you speaking anywhere tonight?  I am visiting/working in Atlanta this week.

Lab

Well........ No Shit.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was in a Dicks store once looking for handguns. I was told by an employee that Dicks doesn't sell handguns because the owners view handguns as "immoral".

Don't know about the moral part, but they don't sell handguns. When Dicks bought Galyans, there was a field day buying the handguns as they marked them down until gone.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't know about the moral part, but they don't sell handguns. When Dicks bought Galyans, there was a field day buying the handguns as they marked them down until gone.

Yeah, unfortunately I bought my p99 in 9mm 2 months before the swap.  Afterwords I went up there and they had a p99 in 40 for like 439 bucks!  I shoulda bought and just resold it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
currentcodes.com/

This is a coupon site. They have codes for tons of stores that you put in when you do online ordering
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I went to 3 different Dick's in my area

Uhm . . . . . yeaaaaaah.  Not gonna touch this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top